No announcement yet.

Handicapped Parking Permit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a handicap tag because my mom is disabled. She owns the car I'm just a designated driver. Even though I have MS that's not enough in my state to get a disabled license plate.

Comment

@ centerless3 - It is your symptoms that determine whether or not you qualify for a hang tag - not your diagnosis.

If you have difficulty with mobility or shortness of breath, your doctor should be able to sign for you to get the hang tag. The doctor has to describe the symptoms that cause a disability.

I didn't qualify for the tag until I had a flare that caused mobility problems. Because we don't know when/how often I might flare again with mobility issues, the doctor signed for the tag to be permanent.

I only use the tag when I feel that I need to.

Comment

I got mine about a month ago after pressure from the wifey , when my sciatica gets really bad I have a real hard time walking and use a cane to help keep the pressure off whatever leg is hurting the most, when I feel good I don't use it . But I am glad to have it when I am in major pain and walk super slow.
        Ankylosing Spondylitis DX- Sept 2008, MS DX- November 2011,RRMS- 1-11-12, Copaxone -3-2-12

Comment

Dx in 2010 and already had a hang tag from my husbands brain cancer. Whenever someone says something stupid, "like you don't look sick", to him, he asks what does brain cancer look like to you and walks away. Now that I recently got dx, nobody says anything to us, I am usually with a cane or in my wheelchair on bad days. I am a little overweight and sometimes I can just hear people saying in their head, fat isn't a handicap, they just don't realize I'm also pregnant.
          : )

Comment

Giovanna --

Unless your husband is always with you when you are in a vehicle, you should get your own hang tag. If you were ever stopped by the law, and asked to produce ID verifying your eligibility for the tag, and you had none to produce, you could sustain a fine, and, possibly be in additional trouble.

~ Faith
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Ringer1319 View Post

The thing is... a lot of people have it set in their mind that the handicapped parking pass is for people in scooters/wheelchairs... which is obviously not true.
              My Mom was in a wheel chair, and she never used the "VIP" spot because she didn't have to walk and use her energy the way I do. Even people in scooters have it a little easier, and I have seen some people park farther away because they have the assistance of the scooter or chair. "it's the people who have mobility issues with or without aides that really need those spots. As for us wheelchairers, we can just roll along and not get fatigued or sore like you do." As per my Mom and a couple of other people I know who have issues and use scooters and wheelchairs.
              Life is a daring bold adventure, or it's nothing at all.
              Helen Keller

Comment

Faith ~ Thanks for bring that up. I hadn't thought to mention that, but our van has handicap license plates that are in my name and I am always transported around in the van. Unfortunately, I am always transported around by my husband and am never alone driving. Thanks!

Comment

Handicapped Parking Permit

I recently was diagnosed with MS and I was told by a friend of mine who also has MS that I am eligible for the permit. I live in Central Texas so I would only use it during the summer if that. It gets really hot here. Do I just get something from my Doctor?

Comment

Here is some information for obtaining a disabled parking permit in the state of Texas:

http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/drivers/disabled.htm

~ Faith
                    ~ Faith
                    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by JenLyn_63 View Post
                      My Mom was in a wheel chair, and she never used the "VIP" spot because she didn't have to walk and use her energy the way I do. Even people in scooters have it a little easier, and I have seen some people park farther away because they have the assistance of the scooter or chair. "it's the people who have mobility issues with or without aides that really need those spots. As for us wheelchairers, we can just roll along and not get fatigued or sore like you do." As per my Mom and a couple of other people I know who have issues and use scooters and wheelchairs.
                      I love your mother.
                      Able-bodied people don't get this at all. I didn't get it, either.

Comment

Originally posted by kriscake View Post
                        There are days that I am just fine and days I am wiped out. Having to walk a mile just to get into the zoo makes me feel as though I have wasted a ton of precious energy I could be using on my kids.

And yet I feel bad. I'm not that bad. I'm still walking around. Even if I am gimpy when I'm tired.

It just seems like that might be an answer for when I'm already tired and struggle to make it to the door.

do you all have a hang tag?
                        If you've earned it, you should use it.

Comment

I've had one for over a year, and like most everyone has stated, I use it when I need it. It has come in very handy .. especially since I tend to fall and sprain/fracture/bruise a little too often.

I always grab a shopping basket when I go into a store even if its just for a loaf of bread .. that way I have something to hold onto. I have yet to make use of one of the motorized scooter shopping carts, but have been sorely tempted on a few occasions.

If you're still feeling a little guilty, just think of the h/c parking pass as another (painless) tool to use to help you manage your life with MS.

Comment

I held off even asking for a tag for way too long. Recently, I got a new primary care and I mentioned it. In two seconds, she had the papers in my hand for the permanent hang tag. She said "save your walking energy for the walking you like to do not walking into stores or here or CVS."

So I don't feel guilty. I see it as just saving up energy for my real walking for exercise. I'm so grateful for everyday that I can still walk as well as I can.

Comment

Should I?

Thanks to Nemo...I went into work late today, about 2 hrs. I parked in the back of the parking lot. Well, aside from the umbrella, I had my laptop case, purse, coffee and lunch bag. I am having a flare up now and do not feel well at all. I was just DX in January and have not started meds yet.

I kind of feel guilty using a parking pass, but in large parking lots it would be a tremendous help. I am struggling now with trying to remain "normal" for my family's sake...I'm loosing that battle though. *sigh*

Comment

It took me a year before I would use my handicap tag. My honey told me "you earned it". I keep that in mind when I am feeling guilty for using it. I try NOT to use it, but now DO if I am having a rough day.
                                Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Working...
                                X