Handicapped Parking Permit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handicapped Parking Permit

There are days that I am just fine and days I am wiped out. Having to walk a mile just to get into the zoo makes me feel as though I have wasted a ton of precious energy I could be using on my kids.

And yet I feel bad. I'm not that bad. I'm still walking around. Even if I am gimpy when I'm tired.

It just seems like that might be an answer for when I'm already tired and struggle to make it to the door.

do you all have a hang tag?

I just got one last week.

I haven't ever used it, yet. And, I don't expect that, unless I'm in a flare that affects my mobility, I'll need to use it in my home community (population < 20,000).

However, I'm going in to Wichita next month for a concert at the Intrust Arena. The last time, I was there, a couple of years ago, the walk from the large parking lot to the arena really wore me out. That was the reason that motivated me to pursue getting one.

It's do-able. But, why should I "do" it, if I don't have to. I'm on SSDI for a reason. I have a disability. I don't plan to use, or abuse, my permit when I don't need it. There are others who need one more than I do. But, when I do need it, I don't plan to feel guilty about using it.

~ Faith
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I have had a hang tag for years. When I first got it, I was still walking. For short walks (like at the convenience store) I didn't use it, but if it was a store where I was actually going to wander around I used it because I would get tired. Now I'm in a wheelchair I should just get a handicap license plate.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I got one last year. Could I manage without it? Sometimes, yes. But it allows me to have more choice about how I spend my energy. If it's a matter of being able to do the grocery shopping or needing someone else to go for me, and saving the walk across the parking lot will make the difference? It's worth it.

I felt guilty, but my partner encourages me to use it whenever I even think about needing it, because she figures (given my personality) that if I'm thinking about it, I really need it. She might be right.

Honestly, the thing that encouraged me to finally bite the bullet and get one is that the parking lot near our train station usually fills up super early (6-7 am), but there are a few handicapped spots still available closer to the time when I am likely to need the train. There are usually spots up a huge hill, but it's really rare that I could manage that, particularly at the end of a day!

Each thing I've done acknowledging I'm disabled has been hard for me, but it's also made my life easier. What's more, I've found that even strangers don't seem to question my right to the accommodations, and often seem eager to help me more than I was asking for.
        Accepting reality is not the same as wanting to have a problem. It means accepting something that will be happening whether I want it or not.

Comment

I've had a hang tag for several years now. When I got it, I could still walk a short distance, but I used a cane or Rollator. I can't walk more than a couple of steps to transfer now (stroke, not MS), and I'm in a wheelchair.

My husband does all of the driving, and we only use the hang tag if I'm going to be getting out of the car.

Comment

I have a temporary one that is going to expire in June. I am seeing my neurologist in June and will be asking him for a permanent one. I too feel bad and don't feel like I always need it, but I never know when I will need it. I often tell my husband that there are more people who need it more than me. His response is, when looking at your ability now and what it used to be, you need it. It isn't a comparison to everyone else, it is a comparison to yourself. I don't want to waste my energy getting across the parking lot so that shopping or whatever it is that I may be doing is then ruined. Just because I have it doesn't mean I have to use it, although I have almost always needed to use it since getting it.

Comment

A "funny" story... I don't drive anynore but have a handicapped passenger permit. A few years ago I couldn't find it in our van, thought I lost it or left it in someone else's car. In order to get a replacement, a police report must be filed, the report number given to the Ministry of Transportation, and a new one was issued.

At least 1 year later, I got a call from the police to tell me my permit was found in an unrelated theft. I was subpoenaed to testify in court as this guy was a career criminal and they wanted my testimony for "the disgust factor". So there I was, in the witness box, half blind with my cane, with 7 healthy men who had been victims of this guy, only everyone but me had expensive things stolen from their cars.

The worst part is... my complete name and home address is boldly printed on the back of the permit as it is a passenger permit only! Thank God they did put this guy away!

Apparently, stolen hc permits bring HUGE money in the criminal world. It was the only thing stolen from our van which is constantly filled with expensive hockey equipment for my 3 step sons (Canadian eh?). Even the $ that was in the cup holders or the gps wasn't touched.

Pretty disgusting! The good news is that I don't use it anymore. It expires in Nov of this year and I don't plan on getting another until if, or when, I need one.

Jen
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
                I have had a hang tag for years. When I first got it, I was still walking. For short walks (like at the convenience store) I didn't use it, but if it was a store where I was actually going to wander around I used it because I would get tired. Now I'm in a wheelchair I should just get a handicap license plate.

Same here, though I plan to keep the tags, so I can go out and not always have to take our car. The hang tag goes where I go.

Plus, until my Mr. retires, our car will keep the firefighter plates.

Comment

I just got mine last week and we used it for the first time today.

We parked in a handicapped parking spot and I took my step daughter into the mall to Forever 21. Found two cute shirts for myself and spent time with her picking out stuff for her.

I never would have found those shirts or spent the time with her if we had to park further from that spot, because I would not have ventured in. I am now glad to have it.

I did find it's hard to look at retail goods with a cane. I'll get used to this.
                  Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

My mobility is fine most days....my husband thinks i should see about getting one though because there are some days i would rather not even go in somewhere and expend the energy walking to the store or whereever....

i feel bad though....im 26 thinking of myself as "disabled" in any way is still not something i feel like im ready to do What about the people that are wheelchair bound? I feel guilty....I am still coping with the news that i have MS in the first place (as if the daily injections werent enough of a reminder) :'(

Comment

I have had a handicap permit and I still work full-time and usually "don't look sick." On a good day, one that is cool, if I am walking on a flat, paved, straight surface, I can walk up to a mile.

Any other time I am apt to have trouble, so I use the permit when I think I will need it. Most often that is when it is icy, or when I am going into the mall or grocery store just fine, but pretty sure when I come out I won't be so fine. Sometimes I cannot even lift up my leg to get into the car.

With MS, you never know. If someone would like my handicapped parking permit, and they are willing to take my MS along with it, leaving me with a healthy body - please help yourself! Otherwise I use the permit when I need it.

Comment

I got a hang tag about 12 years ago when my doctor suggested that I should have one due to difficultly walking far distances. Started with a temporary and eventually the neuro made it a permanent one. Now I have hang tag for traveling with others and I have license plates on my car and hubby car.

At first I felt a little self conscience about using it but after a while that went away. I don't use handicap parking when I am going just do a quick stop in somewhere but definitely use it when grocery shopping or going to the mall.

Comment

Young Adult w/ Parking Pass

Well, I'm 24 years old and I have a permanent handicapped parking pass. It's just the hanging pass, not the license plate.

I live in Central Texas, so it takes a lot out of me having to walk in the hot parking lots. If the place/store I'm going to isn't busy... and I can find a close parking spot, like one NEXT to the handicapped parking space, I park there...

But if where I am going is packed with cars & I see a handicapped parking spot open, I take it. I've gotten the evil looks parking there and being so young... and not being in a wheelchair.

I even had someone tell me, "How dare you abuse your grandmothers parking pass!"... As I pulled out my cane, they pretty much ran away.

The thing is... a lot of people have it set in their mind that the handicapped parking pass is for people in scooters/wheelchairs... which is obviously not true.

If I plan on making it through the store and not regretting it severely the next couple of days, I take advantage of the parking pass, because it was given to me for a reason.

The thing is, you know your body the best... & just go from there.
                          Ashley Ringstaff
                          Living with MS since 8/30/10

Comment

Originally posted by bops_mama View Post
                            What about the people that are wheelchair bound? I feel guilty....
                            Why feel guilty? We have tags,too...you'll just have to get there earlier than us to get the spot, that's all. If you need the tag, get it and use it. Disability is disability, no matter how it compares to others'.

A note, though: a lot of wheelchair users, myself included, find the term "wheelchair bound" at least minimally annoying or downright offensive. I know no one has tied me to my chair.

Comment

I no longer even dream of walking a mile or half that or half that etc. I still can walk some but I do NEED my power chair and scooter, even on better days.

I have BOTH a hang tag and lic plate. I feel NO guilt. I held out getting a HC permit for years and paid the price. Now with my HC permit & scooter and can do so much MORE than in many years.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Working...
                              X