gluten and sore throat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gluten and sore throat?

2 days ago, i inadvertently ate something with soy sauce in it. that night i felt a little bit...off. tired, stomach was hurting a bit. nothing too awful just vague complaints. the next day (sunday) i woke up with a sore throat and feeling the usual MS-y sort of fatigue. kinda dizzy, body feels light and weak, etc. the fatigue and sore throat have stuck around, and now i'm trying to figure out if i am:

1) getting sick
    2) having seasonal allergies
    3) glutened

has anyone experienced these sorts of symptoms and can directly attribute them to gluten exposure? i'm trying to narrow down my differential diagnosis
    dx: RRMS 9/8/11 copaxone 12/5/11

Unfortunatly sounds like the gluten exposure could have been part of the problem.

Gluten creates an immune response and then every other thing comes out to play.
    i.e., enough to send you into seasonal allergies, MS sympotoms...
    NutritionTara
    Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Today I'm thinking I agree with Tara! After a few weeks of totally gluten AND dairy free (previously was modified dairy but dropped it all together) I purposed to eat a nice big piece of my grandon's birthday cake last night. I was "good" and skipped the ice cream BUT the cake of course was made with wheat (aka gluten!) and most likely the frosting had milk in it. Today I feel horrible! Sick to my stomach, headache, spacy, dragging. Literally laid around all afternoon on the couch napping. Gotta be the cake cuz I can't figure out what else it could be making me feel sick today. Celebrating him turning six was special and despite this very "ugly" day it was worth participating but I am soooo back on the wagon today and no more birthdays for awhile.
      Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

Convinced?
        NutritionTara

Comment

Originally posted by nutritiontara View Post
          Convinced?
          pretty much
          Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

the sore throat ended up staying around for about 5 days and i had a runny nose for an additional week. i tried allergy meds and they did nothing. it eventually got better, a little each day, very slowly. :/ still not sure what to think about all of that. i have had so many episodes like this over the years.

i can never quite figure out if its a really (really, really) mild cold, or allergies, or now i have to also consider dietary intolerances AND ms symptoms. i guess i'll never really know for sure but i do know for sure that i exposed myself to gluten and then this episode happened within a day or so.

i will have to keep better track of this, but it certainly sounds like the exposure could have had a part in how i felt. although almost 2 full weeks seems like a long time to have symptoms from one gluten exposure. would this be a typical amount of time to have symptoms from a gluten exposure?

Comment

Meegun,

Intestinal biopsys for Celiac disease are taken 6-8 weeks after exposure. Translated this means the "height" of the damage takes 6-8 weeks.

Yes, the symptoms can last for weeks.

I use to think I could eat gluten 3-4 times/year.

I realized after a few years and understanding the process better I was allowing myself to be damaged and insulted from the gluten year round.....

Next birthday, eat the ice cream and skip the cake!
              NutritionTara

Comment

tara,

thanks for the points to ponder. i am currently experiencing a much more mild case of sore throat, fatigue, etc. secondary to a possible gluten exposure two days prior once again. two days must be the magic amount of time for me. as for the cake and ice cream, i am completely gluten and dairy free (unless i am unknowingly exposed) so no cake or ice cream at all for me.

if i want to get tested for gluten sensitivity which of my doctors should i ask?

Comment

Working...
                X