anyone else decie no meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone else decie no meds

i've had m . s . for 11 years now and early on tryed meds but they seemed to make me sicker . so i decided to try meditation instead of medication . so far it has worked to keep my symptoms low key . i know someday i may need to go on some kind of meds . but for now i do quite well . i can't cook because of the burn risk and i can't sit long in a proper chair because it causes pain . i have some problems with walking and use a cane or a wheelchair . but mostly i'm able to do alot for myself . i have a pca who comes 5 days a week and she is a really good help .

i have remit and remission m . s . so i feel very fortunate i know from my onset how tough it can be . i spent 2 years with symptom after symptom and then tryed meds when i moved where there was a reliable neurologyst . it was miserable when i was on meds and felt so much better off them . not to suggest others should try meditation and stop the meds . i'm just curious if others use meditation to help boost their meds in treatment .

Hi dosoyaka,
    I can't say I've tried meditation but I've been off MS meds for a couple of years now and am really enjoying not having to do injections and put up with the side effects.

I stopped Avonex because I passed out and fell once after 3 years on it. Not a chance I'm willing to take. Then after nearly 3 years on Copaxone I stopped because I can't see that it's very helpful for someone with SPMS in my age group (over 65). It was causing problems too.
    MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10.

Comment

Bless you! I'm at the same juncture as you after 21 years. Im still RRMS but can handle the MS and relapses far better than the meds. I've been allergic to, or made seriously sick by them all.
      Copaxone did me no harm but didn't seem to help either. Got a neuro review and im Dreading it as they want me to try G but Im not doing it. I will take C again if they insist i take something. My neuro is adamant that all his patients MUST take a DMD.
      Meditation helps me too!
      x

Comment

On the fence

I've been DX less then 2yrs and hopped right on the med my Neuro said to start with. I didn't even blink! Beta was working good for me I thought...at first. After about 8 months though I started to have serve pain and it was thought that I was have a reaction to it. So off of that and on to G and a new Neuro since I was having so many problems.

New Neuro said I was moving into the "Second Stage" and he was the one to say G and not Ty since I tested postive. Onto G I went with a bit of thought this time since it was a "newer" med. I made it for about 4 months till he pulled me off. This was Feb of this yr I think.

I just let my stress get to out of hand and have had my first flare in almost a yr. However when I was on Beta I had 3 flares. So my thought right now is to try and lower my stress again and get my mind back to where it needs...has to be! I don't want to pump stuff into my body, but if it would do good then ok. Its hard to say it will do good when at 33 they are already saying SPMS is starting and my docs want to bounce me from med to med.

Ahhh I look at it like its all a crap shot anyways...LOL it might work it might not. I have a MRI in a few hours to see what the last yr has done to my spine...mostly my spine but maybe my brain this time to.

isamadjul
        (allyson)
        DX 10/10, JCV postitive by a lot (said Nuero lol), Betaerson, Gilenya, Tecifidera, Aubagio now on Ocerevus

Comment

Copaxone 8 years

I took Copaxone daily injections and Solu-medrol IV once a month for 8 years and stopped 2 years ago when I kept getting lung infection ( copaxone ).

My left shoulder joint had to be replaced due to the(Solu-medrol IV's) that caused damage to the shoulder socket and ball. Now my Neuro says I have SPMS and she wants me to start taking Gilenya I read all the side effect and with my luck I don't thing it's worth the risk

Comment

Lung infection

I would think that the Steroids would be the culprit for the lung infections- I alwyas get infections after a round of roids. Makes one think twice about the DMDs though...

Comment

I have refused to take the meds because 1. they are only FDA tested and approved for the treatment of RRMS and 2. I refuse to introduce that poisonous crap into my body.
              I have heard that meditation is effective. As well as yoga .
              I haven't begun to get into them but I will soon.
              I am surprised that no one on this thread has mentioned one of the diets that have been identified as a way to safely treat this MonSter. Could it be that if it isn't MD recommended, it is not considered legitimate ?
              I am disappointed that that alternative has not been mentioned here.

Comment

Hi! I understand how you are feeling.

I was DXed on 08.17.10 and I have said no to the meds from DAY 1! My aunt had taken them to no avail for years. I don't want my immune system further compromised by the interferons.

My nuerologist wanted my first medicine to be Rebif. I researched... Thanks but no thanks. Now he wants me on Tysabri. I took the blood test. Again... Thanks but no thanks. I've upped my supplements and I'm getting a juicer.

I'm knocking on wood this will help keep the flares to a minimum! Maybe. Maybe not. But it is worth a try in my eyes.

I follow my gut on what I think is the best for my body and my mind.
                Karin

Just another chapter in the book of life...

Comment

I take Copaxone, but I also am VERY open to alternative, holistic approaches.

I do acupuncture each Saturday to treat pain and fatigue, trigeminal neuralgia and headaches.

I am going to start yoga.

I will learn how to meditate better. I do it on weekends.

I also would like a juicer. I am waiting til I can afford the pricier one that allows you to put pineapple in with the rind on.

I also take many supplements to boost energy, brain function and reduce inflammation.

We (as a family) are adjusting our eating habits to the Swank diet.

I won't buy snake oil, but I won't rule out non-Rx approaches.
                  Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

Working...
                  X