Avonex and timing of injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avonex and timing of injection

I'm about to restart avonex and I'm considering giving myself my injection around dinner time (ie,6pm) reason being.....when I was on avonex before ( and quit, my bad) I gave it to myself at bedtime, as that was the time it was suggested to give. Problem with that is about a couple of hours after injection, I was awake shivering, had a horrible headache and muscle aches, all of which kept me up most of the night. Why not give the med earlier, so you can get all of the side effects over with , close to bedtime, say midnight or so and sleep all night? Anyone ever do this? Any feedback? Thanks.

I restarted Avonex in December after seven weeks off, and yes the side effects the first week were reminiscent of my original first few injections a few years ago, with the chills and aches, etc. I don’t usually get hit too hard.

The worst of my side effects tend to hit 6-12 hours after injection. If my shot is three or four hours before bed, and then I take my acetaminophen right before shutting my eyes (having had another dose 4-6 hours earlier), I can sleep through the worst of it when the acetaminophen and my body’s desire to sleep are at their strongest. I can’t always time it so perfectly, though, so when I wake up with aches in the middle of the night, I take the acetaminophen with water that’s next to the bed, and go back to sleep.

I have had daytime shots a few times, and I’m pretty much a vegetable when side effects are at their strongest, so I would prefer the evening shots and try to sleep through the worst.

Comment

Figuring out the best timing for me took awhile. I do best injecting around 4 p.m. so I can take a second dose of meds before bed to counter chills and aches. Aleve works best for me. One dose an hour before injection, and second dose 4 hours later. I also take a benedryl at bedtime.

Good luck getting back on the Avonex wagon!

Comment

I've been playing around with injection times for Avonex since I inject on Wednesdays and in the past I would inject right before bed - no problems sleeping, but I would lose Thursday.

A few weeks ago I decided to inject around 4 p.m. - had no sleeping problems and didn't lose Thursday Thank God!

I also injected at night this past Wednesday (didn't get home til almost 10), also had Thursday.

When I first started with Avonex I also took Melatonin to prevent the insomnia and it helped a lot.

Best of luck to you!
        Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
        UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

You have to work out what time is best for you. I've tried all different times. For me, as early in the morning as possible is best. Then I go shopping, to the gym and have my regular saturday. If i need to lie down, it's ok since it's saturday.

I've tried night time shots 2x and I had a terrible night both times.

Figure out what works for you.

Comment

Thanks for feedback

thanks to everyone for taking the time to give me your ideas. I did end up shooting up at about 4pm yesterday (Saturday) and only my beginning dose of 1/4. Premedicated with Tylenol and oxy plus xanax ( can't tolerate NSAIDs other than aspirin and Tylenol works better...oxy for any pain...Xanax because I get a rushy, anxiety like heart rate).

Did fairly well but today for some reason was just wiped out and only on a 1/4 dose. It did give me a migraine which started last night and re started this am, so that was a drag. But slept till 445am which was great! Thanks again for your input!!

Comment

I had gradual doses of Avonex and did not have side effects...until this weekend. I had my first full dose on Thursday and didn't feel a thing so I thought my body would adjust. Unfortunately I woke up at 4am feeling like I was short of breath and all but having a heart attack.

One ER visit later and I learn that everything is fine (lungs, liver, heart, etc). I was told what I was having were side effects that are not as common. *sigh* Have already spoken to my nurse and am awaiting to see my neuro. I was told that this could be how my body reacts to it because the prefilled dose it too high.
              “You don't love someone for their looks, or their clothes, or for their fancy car but because they sing a song only you can hear.”
              ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

I take 2 aleve one hour before my shot and 2 an hour after and that allows me to sleep the night. I have also found you need to hydrate very well the day of the shot and the day after.

Comment

Originally posted by sol View Post
                  I take 2 aleve one hour before my shot and 2 an hour after and that allows me to sleep the night. I have also found you need to hydrate very well the day of the shot and the day after.
                  I'll keep that in mind - I did see a post about the MS Hug but will have to ask my doctor if that's what I was feeling. I was staying away from the aleve because the leaflet from the pharmacy said not to take it (but I've seen a few other posts talking about taking aleve).
                  “You don't love someone for their looks, or their clothes, or for their fancy car but because they sing a song only you can hear.”
                  ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                  X