Prescription assistance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prescription assistance?

I was recently diagnosed. And I've started on some of the symptom medication for my current flare. Some are outrageously expensive. Most of them seem to have help paying for these prescriptions. But I'm wondering if anyone else knows of any good places to look for assistance on the treatments that I will be starting in a few months. I'm not sure yet what treatment they will start me on. I've looked up assistance for Avonex and Copaxone so far. I have a really high deductible on my group health insurance. I have an HSA. But I wouldn't be able to even pay for the 1st month if I have to pay full price just to get to my deductible. Any help is greatly appreciated!

twiztidchic, being in the same boat I called each drug company directly. They each have varying assistance programs that depend on several factors.

-your insurance
    -your insurance's participation with the drug company (they have several options)
    -outside qualifying criteria such as income, insurance type, etc.

They all have MS hotlines, google the drug name and go to their brand's website directly and follow the links to the assistance hotlines.

I also called my insurance to get the amount after co-pay I would need to pay for each drug. You can glean information from people on forum, but I strongly urge to get all of your information first hand as it varies greatly from person to person.

In the end, I was unable to start what my neuro wanted and had to choose a different drug based solely on who was going to give me the assistance I needed. I am not able to work right now and it is between drugs and having to move my family out of our house and into car. Assistance is the only way I can take the drugs.

Good luck in your research.

Comment

assistance

I got assistance for avonex thru active source online.. look into it.. I m trying to see if there is assistance for copaxon..

Comment

There used to be a "sticky" at the top of this forum listing a myriad of financial resources for prescription assistance. The sticky is gone now.

However, that information (and more) is in the Resource Center.

http://resourcecenter.msworld.org/re...nd-funding/#ms

Good luck!

Comment

I just saw my neuro and he is starting the process for me to start Gilenya. I am doing some research now. I have signed up for their "Go" program. I'm going to give them a call & get some more info since they are very vague on the website. I already had the EKG this morning and labs in the morning. They are making all of the other appointments for me & I'll know soon when they are. Thanks for all of your help. Greatly appreciate any kind of info from all I can!

Comment

For symptom management, there are cheap generics for most things - when I say Cheap, I mean under $5.00/month. You can find them here: http://www.healthwarehouse.com/

Bear in mind that your doctor doesn't know the cost of meds and will always assume you have enough money. If you ask for what's cheap, you can save a lot of money with Generics which can be just as good.

As for DMDs, all the drug companies have assistance programs. Avonex has a very good one, Copaxone not as good. You will be able to get meds, so don't worry about it. Just ask, ask, and fill out the forms.

Comment

Thanks BigA, I'll check that out. I have been doing as much research as I can. And my regular Dr knows and always gives me generic. I also made it clear to my neuro today. He already prescribed me for a Migraine med because I've been getting these outrageous headaches at least once a week that last from 1-2 days. I asked him for assistance on the Gilenya. I was going to call the # for them but I ran out of time today.

Comment

Originally posted by twiztidchic View Post
                I just saw my neuro and he is starting the process for me to start Gilenya. I am doing some research now. I have signed up for their "Go" program. I'm going to give them a call & get some more info since they are very vague on the website. I already had the EKG this morning and labs in the morning. They are making all of the other appointments for me & I'll know soon when they are. Thanks for all of your help. Greatly appreciate any kind of info from all I can!
                FYI- They're just as vague in person. They'll tell you nothing more about the med or testing than they do on the site. You'll get the old "ask your doctor". When I asked about co-pay programs,etc., I was told I'd have to have my dr finalize and fax the paperwork and rx to them (which they had done...twice, but the Gilenya folks couldn't find it) first. So they wouldn't talk to me about programs unless I was already in the process of starting G. Not even to tell me if they had them. By the end of my calls to them, I almost felt as if I knew less than when I called.

I have a bad taste in my mouth from their "support". My dr tells me this is the consensus amongst his patients. They send me at least 4 pieces of mail a week, though.

Comment

[QUOTE=MrsBones;
                  I have a bad taste in my mouth from their "support". My dr tells me this is the consensus amongst his patients. They send me at least 4 pieces of mail a week, though. [/QUOTE]

Mrs Bones, I was wondering about the mail. I just signed up so I haven't received any yet. But I had this feeling I would be getting mail from them. It makes you check to send marketing info to you.

And you usually have the option to uncheck those. And I usually uncheck them! Do they send you the paperwork for the assistance? If so, I'll wait. I'd rather not be sent in circles when I call!

Comment

Mrs Bones, I was wondering about the mail. I just signed up so I haven't received any yet. But I had this feeling I would be getting mail from them. It makes you check to send marketing info to you.

And you usually have the option to uncheck those. And I usually uncheck them! Do they send you the paperwork for the assistance? If so, I'll wait. I'd rather not be sent in circles when I call!
                    They send me nothing but promotional mailings. Stuff like the brochures from the dr's office, post cards and single sheets on the wonders of Gilenya which come accompanied by several other sheets of warnings and prescribing info. I got two today, in fact. I have to wonder how much of the cost of that drug is spent on promotion.

I'd say call. It's been months since my paperwork was sent. Gilenya will say they have it and they'll start the process, I hear nothing for a few weeks, I call and suddenly they don't know who I am. Still no one will discuss any programs because of this, so I can't tell you how any of it works.

With Copaxone, they took all info over the phone, did their thing and in a couple days, a form was emailed for my signature. All I had to do was send it back or scan it and email it back.

Comment

The Neuro also said I could start Copaxone if i wanted and that could start right away. Maybe I should change my request but still keep all of my appts. so I can at least be checked out. I already have looked into Copaxone. I saw it is the most commonly prescribed. I told him I had read it is most common and he agreed. I guess I have a lot more thinking and research to do. You have been very helpful. It's nice to have other people that have had experiences of what I will have to do. Unfortunately, it has to be for MS. It is what it is.

Comment

The Neuro also said I could start Copaxone if i wanted and that could start right away. Maybe I should change my request but still keep all of my appts. so I can at least be checked out. I already have looked into Copaxone. I saw it is the most commonly prescribed. I told him I had read it is most common and he agreed. I guess I have a lot more thinking and research to do. You have been very helpful. It's nice to have other people that have had experiences of what I will have to do. Unfortunately, it has to be for MS. It is what it is.
                        Yup, it is what it is. I did Copaxone for a few years, as well as Rebif and Tysabri. Of the 3, I did best on Copaxone. As always, your mileage may vary. Unless the dr really, really feels your MS is agressive enough to require a drug like Gilanya or Ty, trying a CRAB first is a good option. Keeping the pre-dose appts are a good idea if you're undecided on the Gilenya. You'd be prepared if you decide to go with it.

The CRABs have been on the market for years, so you have a far better idea of what the possibilities are, as far as side effects and risks go. Fewer surprises.

I don't want to talk you in or out of your decision, and certainly not based on my experience of the hideous support program of Gilenya's, but it is an important one. You are smart to weigh all your options before deciding. It's not written in stone, you can always change, if you feel your first choice isn't working out.

Good luck , whatever you decide.

Comment

Working...
                        X