Physical Therapy? Heated Pools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Physical Therapy? Heated Pools?

Well, I have been trying phys therapy for the last few weeks and all I can say is it totally wears me out. I wanted to do work in a pool, but both local places have heated pools, 92-96 degrees, and I think that would just turn me into a noodle. Does anyone have experience with therapy like this?
    Just FYI I am 5 10", 125 lbs, in decent shape, do yoga, stretching etc, but was thinking trying this might help a bit more, as my walking is getting worse..an input/ideas appreciated
    if you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning to others

I too wanted to go the pool therapy route but found the pool water and even the room - it was steam filled!! - was just too hot!!

My hubby figured this was just my excuse to get out of it and even called the gym to ask about the pool water temp. They verified that it was in the high range and the people in the arthritis classes loved it!

My husband next called our local MS chapter who confirmed that that temp range was way too high for me. They even told him that they had called this gym before and complained about the high water temp. The gym even confirmed they got that call but cater to the arthritis classes.

I quit the gym and started walking.

Comment

heated pools

the ymca pool i use is 84 degrees and i find in the summer it is too hot for me. in the winter it is ok since the surrounding air is cold. it is indoors. this summer i put my membership on hold and will swim outside for the summer. my neurologist agrees 84 is too hot for me. i would say 82 is a good temp but the arthritis foundation says it has to at least 84 for arthritis classes.
      try and find an outdoor pool.

Comment

Originally posted by frogvalleyve View Post
        I wanted to do work in a pool, but both local places have heated pools, 92-96 degrees, and I think that would just turn me into a noodle. Does anyone have experience with therapy like this?
        have you tried it? If it's for old people, then they can be ready to help you out if necessary.

Comment

hot pool

anything above 84 is too hot. i don't think she needs to try it and be totally wiped out. also when i get too hot in the pool i get stiff and numb.
          i fine taking a cold shower before the pool and not using a cap helps me with 84 but wouldn't go any higher.

Comment

I took "Poolates" (Pilates in the Pool) in a 92 degree heated pool and it was fine for me as far as no MS symptoms. And it really relaxed me and the exercises were good.

But I know every person with MS is different. You should ask if you can try it out before paying for a class/membership and see how it works for you.

Comment

Last winter I went to a PT facility that had a pool heated to about 96. I didn't overheat but was really tired after.

Right now I'm at a new facility but in the "gym", they are promoting the pool therapy and have two pools - one at 94, and one at 84. This is a larger facility which can offer two therapy pools.

I'm PPMS with a very weak left leg so the water exercise really benefits me.

Comment

Originally posted by lisams View Post
                anything above 84 is too hot. i don't think she needs to try it and be totally wiped out. also when i get too hot in the pool i get stiff and numb.
                i fine taking a cold shower before the pool and not using a cap helps me with 84 but wouldn't go any higher.
                That's the thing. I avoided hot pools until I found out I was ok and there are a few other responses from people who can get in water that warm without issue. I just wanted to make sure she knew she could not handle it before avoiding it.

Comment

My sis and dad go to water aerobics at our Y every morning..the pool water is much too warm. We live in an area with a lot of senior citizens and when they say heated pool...they mean it My dad loves it because he's always cold, it'd turn me into jelly.

We recently moved into a home with a pool, so I intend to use it. It's screened so that will keep the temp down some, but in the middle of summer, in Florida, it may still get too warm, we'll see. Heat makes my legs weak, and then I sleep for hours afterward. Even if I forget and the AC isn't low enough, I find myself very drowsy, then it dawns on me to turn down the thermostat.

I've found that most PT offices are too warm too. My regular PT, now has gotten the clue, and they turn down the thermostat when I come in. Until another MS patient and I told him about MS and heat, he wasn't aware of what it did to us.

So if you're going to a PT place and it's too hot, explain the problem if you're heat sensitive.

Comment

Working...
                  X