Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to start a course of steroids?

Hello,

I am under huge amounts of stress, the source and outcome of which I have little control over.

Weird and new symptoms are occurring.

I am having an increase in old symptoms in the past few days, and am quite scared of another flare up. I was free for 10 years, had one in the summer of 2010 and been recovering well until the past few days.

I don't want to jump the gun, but am terrified of allowing it to get worse. (new town, no supports, no money)

When do I know?

Hi trestle,
    stress is HUGE factor in ms! It not only makes you worry, but it can bring old symptoms back as well as bringing on new ones. Im not sure if it can triger a relapse, but IMO it could.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Hello,

I'm not questioning if stress can bring upon a relapse (I'm sure it can), I'm wondering when to start steroids.

Is there a rule of thumb? As in, my symptoms are now twice as bad, 4 times... 10 times? How do people make this call?

I do not have ready access to a mri.

Comment

Sorry, i misread your question. I can't take steroids because i'm diabetic and roids throw off my bloodsugar levels. I'm hunt from the chat rooms. Sorry i can't give u an awnser.
        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
        volunteer
        MS World
        hunterd@msworld.org
        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Hi Trestle

Why are you considering only steroids? I haven't taken steroids since the early 1990's before any medications were available. I don't think there's a set amount of 'flare-ups' to have before using steroids, it's a decision you make with your Neurologist.

You should consider one of the medications specific to MS...they have programs if you are unable to pay. The desired outcome is to keep you from getting worse.

I recently read an invitation to participate in another study for a medication new to MS but used for other issues. Participation is free and sometimes you receive monetary compensation.

Good luck to you
          Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Ultimately, the decision is the doctor's to make. I guess steriods can help during an excerbation, but I don't know if it helps so much after one is well underway.

I am doing the Solumedrol on a pulse basis. I had a period when my symptoms seemed to be getting rapidly worse, so the doc put me on monthly treatments. So, I do the Solumedrol even though I am not in a relapsing stage, once each month, for a total of 6-8 months. That may or may not be something your doc will want to do with you. There is some evidence to show pulse steriods can help over time, but I don't know that dealing with them for a long period of time is what I want to do. I already insisted my dose be dropped as the after effects really get me down.

I wish you the best!

Comment

I've taken steroids for my symptoms but only if 1) the symptoms greatly effected my day to day life (painful or double Optic neuritis or effected my walking) and 2) if I felt the payoff was really worth the risk.

I've never taken steroids for sensory flares or fatigue (perhaps mine haven't been bad enough at this point) but this is something you have to decide about. Are your symptoms making you completely miserable? If so, it may be time to consider steroids. Just remember they come with their own negative side effects.

Good luck!

Comment

my rule of thumb

My general rule of thumbis if my symptoms are bad enough that I am willing to do the miserable steroid treatment- then I am bad enough to do steroid treatment.

I know that's not really an answer at all, but it's the best I've got!

My neuro says that roids calm inflammation which reduces the severity of a flare and possibly the damage it inflicts, but they do not alter the long term progression of the disease.

BTW- i know what you mean about high, unavoidable stress! People tell me to take it easy bc stress will affect my MS, but that's not always an option. Sigh.... MS Sucks, doesnt it?

Are you on any DMDs? You might consider one, they decrease the # of flares and their severity. The drug companies do offer assistance- you could check that out.

Whatever you choose to do- good luck and I hope you start feeling better real soon!

Comment

Been there!!!

A couple of weeks ago I felt the same as you are, felt i was getting worse my walking was awful and was getting stressed out at work, called my neuro and he prescribed presnisone...they made me feel worse...shaky and just horrible, so i made an appointment and went to him and after he examined me he put me on five days of infusions of solumedrol...it was a horrible five days..he also put me on a leave from work...now that its over and i'm stress free and out of work i'm feeling much better!!!
                  gail

Comment

It could be a stress flair (not a real attack), but you never know. Here's a useful chart by an MS Clinic

https://www.virginiamason.org/workfi...acerbation.pdf

Comment

Working...
                    X