Accutane While on Betaseron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accutane While on Betaseron?

Does anyone know if it is safe to take Accutane while on Betaseron? I have horrendous, peri-oral cystic acne, and the only thing that's worked for me in the past has been Accutane. I've been trying only topical treatments in order to avoid putting too much crap into my body, but the acne is starting to get out of control. Any suggestions/feedback is appreciated!
    ON Onset 08/28/2011
    DXed 01/11/2012

"You cheated on me when I specifically asked you not to?!" -- Michael Scott, The Office

Originally posted by Anakela View Post
    Does anyone know if it is safe to take Accutane while on Betaseron? I have horrendous, peri-oral cystic acne, and the only thing that's worked for me in the past has been Accutane. I've been trying only topical treatments in order to avoid putting too much crap into my body, but the acne is starting to get out of control. Any suggestions/feedback is appreciated!

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-ch...3-828,1361-810

This gives a moderate rating, as both drugs can effect the liver. Best thing to do is check with your drs and a pharm, since they're the ones who best know that kind of thing. It may be a keep a close eye on it kind of thing rather than a definite no-no. The experts are the ones to tell you,though.

Comment

Accutane was pulled from the US market by its manufacturer back in 2009 after its sales plummeted due to thousands of personal injury lawsuits. There are still generic versions available. The question may not be so much of safety when mixing the two drugs, but more of whether Accutane is safe to take at all.

Accutane and Betaseron can each one alone cause depression and liver damage. They are both known to affect thyroid hormone levels. Even if neither one causes a problem when taken individually, the combination can, and the resulting side effects could be very serious. Each drug also has other potential side effects, and there is the potential that the combination can produce or worsen those as well, although there doesn't seem to be documentation of it.

It's a drug combination that will have to be monitored very closely -- thyroid, liver, and, frankly, psychiatric function, since Accutane has been found to have significant effects on the brain. It would be all to easy to assume that any new neurological effects were caused by MS when they aren't. In your position, I would first assume that any new side effects of ANY kind were caused by Accutane, and then stop it to see if there were proof otherwise.

This is information that your dermatologist and neurologist might not be paying attention to, so you'll have to. (You might even have to push your docs for lab tests when they don't think they're necessary.) When you weigh out the risks and benefits of mixing the two meds, you might decide to try it for awhile. You'll just have to be very vigilant if you do.

Comment

Be very careful! My cousin took Accutane in his late teens. It caused major medical problems. He is one that was awarded a huge settlement by a jury. It is currently in the appeals process. He regrets having taken the med as it has destroyed his health for the rest of his life.
        Melody
        Diagnosed 1/28/10

Comment

Working...
        X