Do I tell or keep quiet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I tell or keep quiet?

Needing help with this one...I fell at work yesterday the legs just didn't want to move any further. I do I tell my employer or do I just sweep it under the rug? They know about my DX and say as long as I can get to work, I still have a job. But I'm concrened that they may see me as a liability. Right now I just answer phones, data entry, and occasionally do "walking rounds" of the property. I can't afford to loose my job right now because I just moved into a safer more expensive apartment. I'm looking into Disability but right now I have the so-called perfect job. Which I'm not complaining except for the fatigue after 40hrs; but I'm able to work. So MS family what do I do?

Single and struggling beginning to be at my wits end in Md.

I'm confused. They know your dx; are you worried about telling them you fell? Did people see you? Are you worried you'll be fired as it may be seen as 'shades of things to come'?

You have legal rights. They can't fire you because you are disabled and may become more disabled.

Do you use a cane? Maybe start keeping one under your desk for when you're weak or tired.

You are under no obligation to tell them, unless you hurt yourself in the fall and it becomes a ... whatever you call it in the states - in Canada it would be a workplace injury compensation claim.

This does raise an interesting question. If you did trip and fall due to MS then make a claim for compensation how would that work? I would imagine if you tripped due to foot drop, you'd be out of luck as you should have known this was a problem and done something. Then again, if you tripped over poorly laid carpet, fair game.

Don't overthink this. You tripped. It happens. Ms or not.

I'm sorry you fell. It is scary isn't it?

Comment

Re-reading my post, it comes across as curt and brusk - not as I intended and I'm sorry for that.

I think I know what you're asking, please let me know if I got it wrong.

Comment

No you were fine. I decided not to tell. No one saw me fall, but one of my co-workers had to come help me off the floor. They do know my situation, and has provided me with some special allowances to do my job. Workman Comp never entered my mind. I'm going to continue to be careful and work as long as my mind and body will allow.

Thanks

Comment

I was diagnosed in 2001 and have worked as a pt night legal assistant for the last 11 years. The "powers that be" do not know about my Dx - but my supervisor and 5 co-workers in my department do (that being said, it may be that the "powers that be" have gotten wind of it-dunno - I have not been confronted) My neuro as well as my husband have told me not to tell ANYONE as long as I was able to do my job, that it was none of their business.

However, this past year has seen my disability progress to where currently I am able to walk only with the aid of a cane, which causes some questions from the attorneys. I've put them off with some "disc" problems (which is not totally untrue) or a "it's a long story, you don't want to know" thing. I am still in flux with my neuro over whether he would consider me a "progressive" rather than "rrms" patient at this point.

But I, too, am ambivalent about when to tell, or if I should tell at all. I am VERY worried about being forced out either by a sudden "poor performance" type of thing or being told that I can no longer do the job (for whatever trumped up reason there might be) I'm trying to find out where I should start to protect myself - the EEOC? Go to my firm's EAP?

Comment

telling can be scary

but sometimes it's necessary. i told my employers because it was too obvious to not tell.
            i was dxd after a huge flair of left side of body going completely numb. leg dragged, arm barely worked and left side of face sagged. they thought it was a stroke.
            after finally getting to a neuro, sxs got somewhat better with meds. but with 3 flights of stairs at school, it was necessary to go slower and obvious it was very hard on me.

that's where the ADA law comes in. it's the disabilities act that says we can't be discriminated against. i contacted them first when it seemed my superiors weren't being very helpful.
            i had fallen for the 2nd time at school. i did have to go on workmans comp until able to work from w/c. got a lot of flack from admin. for teaching preschool in wc.
            ADA came in and evaluated the accomadations they were making for me and left them with a list of 'suggestions' that should take place to be in compliance with the law.
            they picked and chose what they wanted to do. but as long as you're capable to do your job, whether you need assistance in walking, extra time to do your work w/out consequences, an aide to help you (as a teacher), etc.
            it is the company's responsibility to comply. with ADA's help i was able to work 2 more years.
            i had to think about myself. the first bad fall actually put me on temporary disability because i couldn't sit, much less walk for months. but according to law they had to keep a position open for me.
            i loved my job very much and fought hard to keep it. i'm glad i was able to work as long as i did and don't regret a minute of asking for ADA's help.
            EEOC are the big guns when ADA is no longer being effective. if your case warrants it, they will assign you a lawyer to either keep/ get back your job.
            we don't have to pretend we're something we're not. we do have to try our best to do our jobs. but the company is also obligated to help you do your job.

it's tough decision. but sometimes your body makes it for you. you as an employee are obligated to file a report whenever you are hurt at the workplace. whether it was your fault or not. it doesn't matter. my 2nd fall i tripped on a chair and landed spread eagle on the floor.
            it's suppose to be filled out on a report for your safety and theirs. if you are having trouble walking, do think about using a cane. it is a wonderful asset for weak wobbly legs.
            mine has saved me from many falls.

i pray all works out well for you

keep us posted, we care what happens to you!
            "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

I'm glad you weren't hurt and think I would have made the same choice you did. If it wasn't obvious negligence on their part why bring it up and possibly be targeted as more of a liability then we are already considered to be? I hope you are able to continue on with your great job for a long time!

It sounds all well and good to demand our rights as people with disabilities but imvho it is much more practical to fly under the radar as long as possible without making waves. There are always plenty of legal ways to get rid of someone and I don't want a target on my back, jmo.
              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
              Anonymous

Comment

I was just dx in Feb and asked this same question. I decided not to tell until I was dx with TN shortly after. I have to say I am blessed with a very supportive family and job. My plant manager actually researched the disease so he was more knowledgeable and daily makes sure I am eating right and staying active. My HR manager made sure I understood my choices on disability and let me know I was fully vested in the company and if I ever needed anytime off to take it. I have a great crew so I take a day here and there. I have really bad headaches so some days I need to leave early to rest. I work long hours and am able to work from home if needed. So long story short I didn't tell until I really needed it too.Attendance is important so if this disease is not affecting your attendance or your ability to function all aspects of your job don't tell yet.
                limbo land for 1 year and 4 months DX February 2012 Copaxon February 2012 for 6 months. No DMD's since.

Comment

Glad you didnt get hurt! I'm with the other posters. You don't want to set off alarm bells and become a "time lost accident" as it's called here. If they already know about your MS, it might be a good idea to keep a cane with you for the walk-arounds.

You're correct in not wanting to be viewed as a liability so I would personally be extremely reluctant to tell. If you didn't have MS and took the same fall, would you tell? Companies seem to have more emphasis on health and safety these days, you don't want to be on their radar.

Stay safe and let us know how you make out.

Jen
                  RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                  "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Originally posted by oncewasKeKe View Post
                    Needing help with this one...I fell at work yesterday the legs just didn't want to move any further. I do I tell my employer or do I just sweep it under the rug? They know about my DX and say as long as I can get to work, I still have a job. But I'm concrened that they may see me as a liability. Right now I just answer phones, data entry, and occasionally do "walking rounds" of the property. I can't afford to loose my job right now because I just moved into a safer more expensive apartment. I'm looking into Disability but right now I have the so-called perfect job. Which I'm not complaining except for the fatigue after 40hrs; but I'm able to work. So MS family what do I do?

Single and struggling beginning to be at my wits end in Md.

I was struggling with the same thing.. to tell or not to tell. I decided to tell. I let my manager know right away. The reason I did is because I know there will be times I need to take off work for dr appt, etc.

Also if anything ever occurred regarding my MS - I know my job would not be able to easily let me go.. there are laws in place.

Now if they were to let you go - it would not be on the basis of discrimination of your ms because your company will say... we had no knowledge of it. Therefore, I would definitely let them know.

I know its a hard call but one that can benefit you in the long run.

Ms. Jay

Comment

I didn't tell until recently,

when it became impossible to hide my fatigue and increased difficulty walking. I was afraid it would cause me problems.

On the contrary, my supervisor said it was to protect me. With FMLA in place, I can take a day whenever I need to, no questions asked. I've already told them, I don't want to work beyond the point where I'm a useful addition to the team, and my supervisor responded that perhaps taking a sick day now and then or eventually reducing my hours would make me more productive during the hours that i work.

I agreed with that wholeheartedly. They are working now on getting me a parking place right behind the building so I don't have to walk so far. We'll see how it goes. I want to work as long as I can, but not so long I'm a burden.

Jo

Comment

I made the decision to tell right away. I had a petit mal seizure at work, trip to ER and diagnosis right away. Since the seizure was so public with my supervisor and coworkers, I decided there was no reason to keep my MS a secret. Plus, I felt it could be important for my boss to be aware of the issues I could face and potential time off work.

That was more than 5 years ago, and I don't regret my decision to tell, but ... I've discovered some ugly truths about how my boss really feels about my disease.

I rarely call in sick, even though there are times that I should. I've tried to save as much sick leave as possible so that it's available to me if something serious happens. Recently I had several tests done, including two MRIs in 2 months. I was at a lot of doctor appts. Because I had so many doctor appts she was asking me about them and wanted to know what was going on. I assumed this was out of concern.

But one day I overheard her talking with another supervisor about my MS and that she believed I was "trying to use MS as an excuse for everything and to get out of work." I was devastated. My work ethic is as strong as it ever was before this disease. The difference is that now it takes twice as much effort to get the job done. My brain has to work so hard to process how to do things, to remember things, that it's exhausting.

Hearing that statement made me question whether I should have told her I had MS. I still think it was the right thing. Now I find myself questioning whether I should continue working. Maybe this was a sign that I should think about going out on disability.

Comment

I have not told anyone at work, except two close friends who have kept it confidential (and don't work in my department anyway).

I do mostly mental or intellectual work, so I don't want anyone assuming I'm not fully able to do it. And my boss is one of those over-mothering types who would make a big deal about how I felt every day and I just don't want that. She would mean well, but she would always be thinking about whether I was ill that day or not. I've seen her do this to others.

At some point I may have to tell, but until then, I won't. I have never had to call in sick for my MS, and I schedule my doctor's appointments carefully so as not to be disruptive (for instance the place where I get MRIs is open until 8:00 at night, or I'll take a day of annual leave and just get a whole lot out of the way in one day).

If I fell or had an episode at work I would not tell anyone, or would make some reasonable-sounding excuse (just clumsy, sore from working out, etc.) if anyone witnessed it.

I know a lot of people disagree with this, and prefer to live more openly, but I have never yet regretted NOT telling certain people about my MS. While I have definitely regretted telling some people.

Comment

I told because a student asked if I was drunk and I preferred my principal and everyone else knew that I was sick rather than drunk. People make assumptions that aren't correct. I'd rather just clear the air myself. I may have been lucky, but I never had any problems.
                            Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

Originally posted by poohb3ar View Post
                              but sometimes it's necessary. i told my employers because it was too obvious to not tell.
                              i was dxd after a huge flair of left side of body going completely numb. leg dragged, arm barely worked and left side of face sagged. they thought it was a stroke.
                              after finally getting to a neuro, sxs got somewhat better with meds. but with 3 flights of stairs at school, it was necessary to go slower and obvious it was very hard on me.

that's where the ADA law comes in. it's the disabilities act that says we can't be discriminated against. i contacted them first when it seemed my superiors weren't being very helpful.
                              i had fallen for the 2nd time at school. i did have to go on workmans comp until able to work from w/c. got a lot of flack from admin. for teaching preschool in wc.
                              ADA came in and evaluated the accomadations they were making for me and left them with a list of 'suggestions' that should take place to be in compliance with the law.
                              they picked and chose what they wanted to do. but as long as you're capable to do your job, whether you need assistance in walking, extra time to do your work w/out consequences, an aide to help you (as a teacher), etc.
                              it is the company's responsibility to comply. with ADA's help i was able to work 2 more years.
                              i had to think about myself. the first bad fall actually put me on temporary disability because i couldn't sit, much less walk for months. but according to law they had to keep a position open for me.
                              i loved my job very much and fought hard to keep it. i'm glad i was able to work as long as i did and don't regret a minute of asking for ADA's help.
                              EEOC are the big guns when ADA is no longer being effective. if your case warrants it, they will assign you a lawyer to either keep/ get back your job.
                              we don't have to pretend we're something we're not. we do have to try our best to do our jobs. but the company is also obligated to help you do your job.

it's tough decision. but sometimes your body makes it for you. you as an employee are obligated to file a report whenever you are hurt at the workplace. whether it was your fault or not. it doesn't matter. my 2nd fall i tripped on a chair and landed spread eagle on the floor.
                              it's suppose to be filled out on a report for your safety and theirs. if you are having trouble walking, do think about using a cane. it is a wonderful asset for weak wobbly legs.
                              mine has saved me from many falls.

i pray all works out well for you

keep us posted, we care what happens to you!
                              how can i get in touch with the "ada people" and eeo people? i recall seeing an eeo office number posted around the job but i dont know if they're on my side or the city's side? i work for nyc and they(and specifically people i work directly with) are giving me a hard time and are really trying to give me a hard time and my employment may be in jeopardy and i dont want to wait till the last minute to have things fall apart

Comment

Working...
                              X