Gabapentin making me feel drunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gabapentin making me feel drunk

My neuro started me on Gabapentin since my insurance won't cover Lyrica without having proof that Lyrica works for me, which would mean I would have to pay full price for Lyrica for God only knows how long before they decide it is actually doing me some good.
    I had been taking Lyrica for 5 months because my Dr gave me sample bottles of it and it did work for me but that is not proof enough for my ins company.

So the Gabapentin. Last night was my first time with it and now this morning I seriously feel drunk. I am taking two steps forward and one step back, two steps to the side, three steps the other way and into the wall..that pretty much describes my trips down the hall.

Does this side effect go away after a little bit of taking it? Will my body finally adjust?
    DX 10/26/11

I promise you....you will become accustomed to the medication and will not feel so spacy and high. I take it 5x a day, and I am functioning now.
    Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

I know the feeling!

When I first started Gaba I felt so confused, drunk, and in a fog. I acclimated within a couple weeks though and now I don't feel any side effects. I take it in the PM though, not sure how I would feel taking it in the AM.

Comment

i felt totally drunk and could barely walk straight when i started Gabapentin...after a few weeks it got better though.....it helps with the tingling so much.....totally worth it...

STICK WITH IT IT SHOULD GET BETTER!!!!

Comment

drunk feeling with gabapentin

I too take Gabapentin. My dose is 400mg up from 100mg over several months. My neuro believes in taking a low dose first and see where I get relief. I take it only at night for nerve pain in legs. My neuro said the drowsiness and other side effects would go away after awhile on each dose. And he was right. It does go away and I can function only after I have had 8 hours of sleep.

I found if I got enough sleep, the effects are less noticable. I recently only got 4 hours of sleep after taking the gabapentin and I was in a fog and I did feel drunk for half of the day. After I drank some caffeine I was better, lol.

So make sure you get enough rest if you are taking it at night. Hope you feel better soon Val.
          STR

Comment

Start low then work high

My Neuro was a believer of starting off low as someone else has said to. I started out at 100mg a day for a wk then did 200mg a wk...so on till I was at 400mg I believe. However, I now take 3000mg a day and really I do just fine. Most ppl that know what this med is can't see how I can function but your body does figure out how to work with it!!!

You'll get there if you can give it time. I started taking it at night. So if it made me tired (I can't remember if it did) I slept right through it.

isamadjul
            (allyson)
            DX 10/10, JCV postitive by a lot (said Nuero lol), Betaerson, Gilenya, Tecifidera, Aubagio now on Ocerevus

Comment

GABAPENTIN AND DRUNKNESS

I TAKE ABOUT 300 MG A DAY AND FEEL GOOD. I EVEN DRINK TWO OR THREE BEERS A DAY MOST DAYS. STICK WITH IT.

Comment

HORRIBLE FEELING FROM GABAPENTIN

I was prescribed Gabapentin a few weeks ago to see if it would relieve my severe itching due to neuropathy. The PA (neuro was on vacation) gave me 100 mg. and told me to start with 100mg. and go to 200mg or even 300 mg if needed. She told me about possible (ha!) side effects and to only take it at bedtime or a couple hours before bedtime (as it is slow to work). The first two nights I took 100 mg. as she told me; I slept through the night and no itching. 2nd night the same. I did notice being somewhat dizzy, but for some reason I didn't relate it to the meds. On the 3rd night I didn't fall asleep, had itching and decided to take two the next night.

I've taken 3, just one time, but decided that was too much. Even with one pill I am VERY dizzy. Today I've felt awful; very out of sorts, a bit anxious. About mid-day I was so dizzy I had to go lay down. On top of that I had the feeling of the room spinning.

I'd like to know what other's have experience. So many people say this will pass, but this is almost 10 days for me. I would not be able to function the way I feel now.

Diane

You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Please call your doctor

Hi Diane -

That sounds like an allergic reaction. Please call your doctor ASAP & stop taking the Gabapentin until you talk with him/her.

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/gabapentin-capsules.html

(Allergic reactions listed at the very bottom)

Cheryl
                  Cranial VIth Nerve Palsy (2008, 2014); Partial Myelitis (9/2015); RRMS Dx (11/18/2015); Plegridy (2/2016)

Comment

I've been taking 3200mgs/day for the last 4 years. I started off taking 400 mgs/day split into 4 doses. MD ramped up the dose until I found relief from awful nerve pain. At first it made me very tired, dizzy, and cognitively slower. Then I adjusted.

Most days now I just notice a slight sedation after each dose. I work full time, and, oddly enough, occasionally I feel sort of stoned at work and my eyes look dilated & glassy. Good thing I am an artist/designer so likely people expect me to be a bit kooky, and it has not impacted my work in a negative way.
                    RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

I take 1200 3x a day. I am at the highest dosage of Gapapentin possible. I have now had 3 doctors ask how I am functioning on that high of a dosage. Apparently, my body metabolizes the meds super fast. It usually wears off before I am able to take more, and then I am in a lot of pain for awhile. I do get a little tired in the afternoons, but that could be because of being active in the morning. So I need something a little stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by cjtmn View Post
                        Hi Diane -

That sounds like an allergic reaction. Please call your doctor ASAP & stop taking the Gabapentin until you talk with him/her.

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/gabapentin-capsules.html

(Allergic reactions listed at the very bottom)

Cheryl
                        I believe you meant "SEVERE Side Effect" instead of "Allergic reaction"

Still the site says: "Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur: ... loss of coordination"

At a minimum the OP should discuss this with their doctor right away.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the clarification, jumangi. "Severe side effect" is indeed what the site says. I will be more careful in the future.

Cheryl
                          Cranial VIth Nerve Palsy (2008, 2014); Partial Myelitis (9/2015); RRMS Dx (11/18/2015); Plegridy (2/2016)

Comment

Response to Gabapentin

Originally posted by jumangi View Post
                            I believe you meant "SEVERE Side Effect" instead of "Allergic reaction"

Still the site says: "Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur: ... loss of coordination"

At a minimum the OP should discuss this with their doctor right away.
                            I had an appt. coming up with my Neuro, so was able to bring up the gabapentin problem. Actually my neuro was on vacation and his PA prescribed it. I hate seeing a PA, by the way. When I went back and told the PA that gabapentin was causing problems for me she said 'oh, really? Most people like it.

I stopped taking it; it would seem I will have to get along with nothing. I've tried Lyrica and it was worse than the Gabapentin!

Feeling doomed.
                            You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Working...
                            X