Classy term for "quitting job to go on disability"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classy term for "quitting job to go on disability"

I am in the process with my doctors of obtaining the testing and paperwork necessary to quit my job, then I will immediately apply for disability and start that horrible process. I am 52 years old.

What do those of you who have done the same "call" your leaving employment? Example, on my facebook page, as to the part that says "works at...", would it sound better to say "retired", "resigned"...??

I don't want to say "unemployed", "on disability"--I want to make it appear like a more positive situation than that! Ideas please. Is this a silly question?
    Donna K: dx RRMS 12/07. Rebif 2/08 - 3/09, Tysabri 3/09 - 7/12, ended due to JCV+. Betasaron 8/12 - present
    Filed for SSDI 8/12. Approved 11/12
    dx PPMS 7/13. Added Metotrexate 2.5 mgx3 to Beteseron. Stopped all meds 3/14 to quality for ibudilast clinical trial for PPMS

I would just say "retired." Even though it's not retiring under the best circumstances, it is ultimately what you are doing. Anyone who knows you or you feel like telling will know details, and everyone else you know casually or meet over the years will get this info unless you want to say otherwise. (And no, not a silly question! It's a large piece of your identity; of course you are thinking it through!)

There is no shame in going on disability if you need to, of course, but I think you should use whatever word feels right to you.

Comment

I think mine says medically-retired
      Swiped it from someone else

Comment

I use "retired". I'm 46, retired works for me for 2 reasons.

1. All of a sudden I seem interesting and mysterious... people wonder what I did for a living to be able to retire young.

or

2. They will be thinking, "Damn, she looks young for someone that's 65!!"
        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Well then, I may just go with "retired"! At 52, people will think "they don't live very extravagantly, they must have been very frugal with their money!" No one needs to know we live week to week, now do they?
          Donna K: dx RRMS 12/07. Rebif 2/08 - 3/09, Tysabri 3/09 - 7/12, ended due to JCV+. Betasaron 8/12 - present
          Filed for SSDI 8/12. Approved 11/12
          dx PPMS 7/13. Added Metotrexate 2.5 mgx3 to Beteseron. Stopped all meds 3/14 to quality for ibudilast clinical trial for PPMS

Comment

LOL... we don't live any extravagant life either. We have 3 kids each from previous marriage and live in a semi-detached house in a modest neighborhood. It's always fun to make people wonder though! Happy retirement!
            Jen
            RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
            "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Good Question :0)

Originally posted by dck696 View Post
              I am in the process with my doctors of obtaining the testing and paperwork necessary to quit my job, then I will immediately apply for disability and start that horrible process. I am 52 years old.

What do those of you who have done the same "call" your leaving employment? Example, on my facebook page, as to the part that says "works at...", would it sound better to say "retired", "resigned"...??

I don't want to say "unemployed", "on disability"--I want to make it appear like a more positive situation than that! Ideas please. Is this a silly question?
              GOOD QUESTION.. that was not silly at all. Please keep me posted on how it goes with you quitting your job and applying for disability.. I may have to do the same thing in the very near future. My email address is in my profile.. I hope you see this message and contact me via email.

My husband will not like me quitting my job because we may have to give up our house and he is very materialistic although we both have worked very hard for our home but when it comes to health, you can't put a price on that or you can't make a house your first priority over health... but he has done just that.

I told him I don't know how long I will be able to work because it is getting hard on me and he told me.. well you have no choice but to work.. that hurt me soooo bad. I know I have to do what's right for me and let the chips fall where they may. I see my Neuro next week and will discuss me going on disability.

Jay

Comment

Working...
              X