Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone get so SLEEPY you can't stay awake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just talking to my Specialty nurse yesterday and told her that is exactly the way I get when I am having a flare. I have been asleep in parking lots many times! I sleep right out of the bed in the am.Forget reading or watching TV or even typing on the PC.
    Sissy

Comment

It makes me feel like a teenager! But not in a youthful way. Did anyone party as a teen or young adult... then the next day hear things like, "You were so funny last night!" Then get to hear the things you did that were so funny.

It's kind of like that, only I'm 47 and no alcohol is involved. This only happens at night. Somewhere along the "I get it" path, I thought that eating would keep me awake. Wrong!

Our kids that still live at home (16, 17, 19 and 20) come home pretty late at night, either due to sports or their part time jobs. The sorry state they find me in is almost too embarrassing to share... mouth full of food, flopped over, mouth hanging open, etc.

My daughter had to go for an MRI a few years back at 11:30 at night at Toronto General, a super busy hospital even at that time. I don't drive but thought I would go along for moral support. I was having trouble staying awake in the waiting area so sent my husband for donuts (the only thing open) to keep me awake.

Oh my God, I kept eating them and falling asleep in the process. The waiting room was PACKED, my husband kept coming to the entrance, calling out "Jen" to wake me up. It startled me, I was covered in donut crumbs and that white powdered sugar and it flew everywhere each time I woke up. I was told the next day that nobody would sit on either side of me, people were standing rather than sit next to me.

When all was said and done, they had to each grab an arm to help me out of the hospital and to the car. I walked with a cane then but couldn't even use it as they had to hold me up. What a sight!

I still laugh when I think about what I must have looked like and don't attempt late night adventures any more. So to answer your question, yes, I do have trouble staying awake!
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

fatigue and often the severe fatigue you describe where you just fall asleep where ever you are is some thing i have had to deal with for a few years- we cannot access the antifatigue meds that are available for you in the US, our system does not approve them for fatigue in MS so we just have to modify our daily life to deal with it. For me, one of the frustating aspects was that if i did nod off in front of the tv at home, i would wake up in the middle of the night and then could not sleep and this would wreck normal sleep patterns making the whole situation worse

my attempt at solving this was to try to keep busy and keep moving to avoid nodding off but even this back fired, i had had many times when i fell asleep infront of my computer but this did not really matter except for the stiff neck when i awoke, but one day it had a more serious down side, i am wheelchair dependant so i made a point of staying in my manual wheelchair that day and trying to keep busy, eventually i went to the bathroom and had positioned my chair to transfer to the toilet when i must have nodded off- i woke as my chair was tipping forward and i was falling ( i am an amputee and have a stump support on my wheelchair which means if you lean too far forward the chair will tip over)- i had fallen sleep and slumped forward enoough to upset the chair and i was too late to recover! i hit the floor with dreadful pain in my back

i then found i could not move because of the pain and it was now late at night and i was alone- it took me 10 hours to slowly inch myself to the lounge room where the phone was so that i could ring for help- i was later diagnosed with 3 crushed lumbar vertabrae- a source of ongoing pain due to spinal stenosis and nerve impingment. these days i have an emergency call pendant so that i le would not getstuck again but i still have the awful sleep pattern, ranging from at least one night per week when i can't sleep at all despite feeling tired to others when i could sleep all day.

when i do sleep i also sleep real heavy and have to set more than one alarm clock or i will just sleep through them- more recently i got a vibratiing alarm intended for the hearing impaired and that at least means i am not missing the alarm as much

i have talked to my neuro and he said it is just one of the more frustrating effects of MS , that some of the meds like lyrica etc make it worse but that basically it was something that we just have to live with!

Comment

Working...
        X