Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was 51 when diagnosed

Comment

I got my first MRI at 57. Everyone told me I was too old for it to be MS. I was relieved until that summer.

In July I got ON. Then in August, 3 new active lesions appreared. My neurogist thinks I had been living with a mild case for many years and didnt know it. I think I developed it at 55 after a very stressful event.

If I suddenly found out I don't really have it, I would mind. But then, how do you explain the fatigue, eye pain, loss of balance, weakness on right side, stiffness in the back of my legs and memory problems?

I have it.

One advantage in being diagnosed older is that I already knew the medical system, and I can blend in with other people my age better. I had already developed a seasoned philosophy of life and don't have to be right

Nevertheless, I still can't handle it.
      When I hear of a very young person I'd recently diagnosed it breaks my heart. We need a cure.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsChip View Post
        Hi babe,

I had my first MS symptom of Diplopia at 17 and was finally diagnosed at 21.
        Still doing good tho - working full time at 43 albeit in a sit down job and dont have the "gym figure" I used to have.
        Love'n'hugs]
        Rae
        That's great to hear. When I was first diagnosed at 45, I had no role models and only heard sad stories. It seems there are still a lot of us out there passing each other on the street without knowing.

I'm still surprised to see so many people diagnosed in middle age, unless this is an older folks site. Maybe younger people are doing same on Facebook. Heck - people diagnosed today don't just not keep it a secret, they make blogs and videos of themselves injecting and talking about their progress/progression.

One day, there will be no more young people getting the disease, but that is not yet today.

Comment

symptoms at 12. diagnosed at 13
          Learn from yesterday
          Live for today
          Hope for tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by jojo18 View Post
            symptoms at 12. diagnosed at 13
            Hi Jojo. I've read your posts in the young person's section, so I know there are some young people. I was surprised so many of us were middle aged. 13 is so young to be diagnosed. Of course, some people diagnosed in middle age report symptoms going back into youth and we never know when we really got started.

Comment

Diagnosed at 31
              First sx at ~24
              Now: 43

Comment

Not many young'uns

I was DX'd at 29, first symptoms at 28, I'm 38 now.

My mom was in her 40's when she was DX'd.
                Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

I was diagnosed at 25 after 1 year of symptoms.

Comment

DX'd in 2009 at age 62, symptom was TN. Had some double vision in the mid-80's and they gave me an MRI and a spinal tap, said everything was 'normal' and that was that. Now, I realize what they were looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunapee View Post
                      "Although some cases of onset before age 10 and after age
                      50 have been reported,it is so rare that an MS diagnosis is suspect."
                      Louis Rosen M.D.

The above quote was taken from a book written in 1987,but updated in2009? Maybe the data has changed since then and not updated?
                      MS was once known as a young persons disease (20-40), that was a long time ago. This disease no longer has age limits, young or old. There are cases of MS being diagnosed in very young children and those well over 40.

I had symptoms as a child (before my teens) and was diagnosed when I was 24 years old. I am now 51.
                      Diagnosed 1984
                      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

My first Ms attack started around Jan of 2004. I was almost 30. Had mri that showed lesions. MS was suspected right away. During testing I found out I was pregnant. My daughter was born in December. 4 months later I had a severe MS attack. Had another mri and had more lesions and was officially diagnosed at age 31. I'm now 38.
                        Michelle

Comment

DX: Oct 2011, Age 26
                          First Major Symptoms : June 2007.

MS wasn't even in my list of possible crap until June of 2011. IN 07, my arms and right leg stopped working. But there was no spinal, no mri, no x-ray. They did bloodwork and urinalysis, saw E Coli, and assumed that was what it had to be. I was given a bunch of antibiotics. It took weeks for me to have full mobility again.

My Neuro read that in my records and started up a storm of ranting about how some doctors were bleedin idiots. That was amusing, actually.

Comment

Still not "official" but "most-likely RRMS" since I had partial TM, have occasional TN, random patches of numbess + mild vertigo off/on for about 3 years and heat-sensitivity (and a multidisciplinary team has mostly ruled everything else out barring further developments!) I'm 36 years old.
                            RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

I first hhad an unusual symptom age 40 that lasted 4 weeks
                              then symptoms started age 46 on and off and persistent symptoms age 50 with dx age 52

Comment

*Dx with overactive bladder 2001
                                *Meds stopped working so saw urologist again who referred me to neurologist
                                * Officially dx with MS one month after my 30th b-day, which was 4 years ago
                                ALLISON

Comment

Working...
                                X