• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age at diagnosis

"Although some cases of onset before age 10 and after age
    50 have been reported,it is so rare that an MS diagnosis is suspect."
    Louis Rosen M.D.

OK. I was diagnosed Sept. 2011 at the grand old age of 59, and quite frankly the ON and MRI's are pretty clearcut, along with a confirming diagnosis at UMass MS Center.
    My query here is..anyone else out there with a late age diagnosis?
    The above quote was taken from a book written in 1987,but updated in2009? Maybe the data has changed since then and not updated?

Offtopic-anyone able to tell me how to change my title? The facebook thing is a bit off.

GiGi

I was dx last year at age 48 after experiencing facial numbness that I thought was an allergic reaction to ear drops until it spread to the hand and leg on that side. MRI and lumbar puncture confirmed the dx.

Comment

Age at Diagnosis

I was 47 when I was diagnosed with RRMS. This was during my 2nd bout with Optic Neuritis. My dad is an M.D. (although not a neurologist) so I called and let him know. He said, "Gee, aren't you kind of old for that?" Thanks Dad. There have been previous threads on this topic and there were a number of people diagnosed in their 50s, 60s, and even 70s. MS doesn't discriminate due to age.

Comment

I was diagnosed at 48, but my first obvious flare was at 42, with nothing of note in between. Now, if I look back, there were signs of MS - heat intolerance, weird spells of fatigue, a couple of spells of vertigo dating way back before that first flare.

The age at diagnosis can be way different from the date of onset. I had my first episode of vertigo in my late 20's but was happy enough with the diagnosis of labyrinthitis. Could have been MS, or not.

C

Comment

First sx at 53, dx at 55.
          1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
          NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Hi @facebook

to change your user name..read the post at technical support and questions by Sparky10....she tells you how to change your name

good luck and welcome
            Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Age at diagnosis...48.

Onset of symptoms that made me wake up and take notice and start to seek an explanation ...46.

Onset of symptoms that I discounted for years because they would show up and disappear within a few weeks to a month...22.

Neuro said I've probably had it since college, but like a lot of folks on the board nothing hung around, as far as symptoms. So I never pursued a diagnosis.

So I see age of onset and age of diagnosis as two entirely different "animals."

Comment

Age at diagniosis--53.
                Age at ON and first obvious symptoms--50.
                Interestingly, I "found" my symptoms at the gym, having recently lost a lot of weight and gotten very fit. If i hadn't been working out so hard, it may have taken longer to realize what was going on. Had I started running at an earlier age,who knows? I have always been a klutz. Now no one teases me about it any more.
                Carole
                diagnosed 10/25/11

Comment

After three years of wondering just what was trying to kill me , I was dx @ 56.

Comment

Diagnosis at age 53, but first episode at age 24, and not too much in between.....

Comment

I was diagnosed PPMS at age 50. It took a year and 3 MRI's and 4 neurologists and a neurosurgeon to get a diagnosis. No spinal tap but gadolinium enhanced MRI's . What fun !!

Comment

I was 36 at dx. 37 now

Comment

DX at age 41
                          Worrisome symptoms starting at age 35
                          DX 10/26/11

Comment

age of onset

No history or problems of any type until age 54. I have spent the last 13 months undergoing every test under the sun. Diagnosis made last week, at age 55. It has been a steady downhill slide since last April...no remission, and new symptoms every month.

It started on the right side and in the last week has moved to the left as well. I have gone from skiing last spring break to using two forearm crutches, and moving to a walker this week. Can't speak well due to word searching and stuttering, tremor badly, walk even worse, pain, numbness - you've all been there!

Really fast progression. And no one can give me a good idea of the future...i.e. when do I need to consider a wheelchair....months or years?
                            Lisa

Comment

1st sx at 47, 7 years later (5 years of MRI's,4 Neuros, one LP and 2 years of living my life with no Docs, dx at 54.
                              Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
                              Babe Ruth

Comment

Working...
                              X