Avonex and hair falling out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avonex and hair falling out

Hi everyone, thank you for letting me bounce this off of you. I am currantly taken Avonex injections for my ms, I have been on them now for about 6 months. I am currently expierencing some weird things going on. At first it was bad bruising, that has subsided, but then I started noticing my hair is drying out severly along with my skin, now my hair is falling out, and it is not in small amounts, and just wondered if any one else taking Avonex has experienced anything like this or weather I need to check this out further with my pcp. I appreciate any feed back you can give me

Sincerly,
    Deb Z

I would report those symptoms to your doctor even if other people have experienced them.

Comment

Hi Deb:
      Hair loss isn't uncommon with Avonex, but yours sounds a little different. The interferons are known for possibly affecting thyroid hormone levels (high or low). The dryness of your hair and skin might be an indication that your thyroid levels have fallen. So it's a good idea to bring this up with your PCP and get your thyroid function checked. Even if your levels are at the low end of normal, some doctors will still recommend the addition or adjustment of a thyroid supplement to bring levels into the middle of the normal range. You can ask about that to see if it's an option for you.

Comment

I lost a bit of hair at first, but it has leveled off and people are now saying that my hair looks thicker than it did previously. (that's not saying much because I have very fine, thin hair ever since my chemo 12 years ago). I am now using Nioxin shampoo and it might be helping to keep my hair thicker... at least somewhat.

Comment

Thanks everyone It has really been helpful, and Redwings that is wat I was thinking may have been going on also. Again Thank you guys very much and In I will keep u posted

Comment

Working...
          X