Walking up stairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walking up stairs

I was diagnosed last fall and told I probably had a 'benign' case.I have been on Rebif since then and seem to be doing OK, but everything is still new to me.My major symptom, besides fatigue, is trouble walking up stairs. By the time I am at the top my legs feel like they are encased in cement and a short breather is needed.It seems odd because I have no problem walking. Anyone else have this problem, and any suggestions?? Thanks.

GiGi

This was my first really big problem when I was first diagnosed (2005). I could go down stairs (gravity works!) but up stairs was incredibly hard.

My going up or down stairs days are seriously numbered. More and more issues are popping up.

Comment

I have the same problem with stairs but I seem to have more of a problem going down. I feel like i just lose all strenght going down and feel like my legs are just going to buckle under me.

I don't have any spinal lesions. Does anyone know if brain lesions. I know this may sound stupid but there are still a lot I don't know about this monster.

Comment

Yes indeed, deb46. Going up isn't too flash, but it's doable. Going down even one step is a nightmare.

Comment

Sorry you're having this difficulty.

This was one of my first signals I was having problems with my legs. Going up stairs my legs got all jellified. Going down stairs was even harder.

I went on over the years to have lots of spasticity issues with my legs, so I chalk it up to spasticity, but a neuro usually tells you that's from weakness, or muscle fatigue. I really don't know what causes it, but you aren't imagining it.

We only have 3 steps going up to our house, and now I have a pump to help with my spasticity, but I still have a grab bar on the house to help me going up and going down those steps.

As a side note, ramps will cause the same problem for me. I have trouble going up, I have to literally "think" my legs into figuring out how to go down a steep rank...it's weird.

Deb46...I don't have spinal lesions either.

Comment

I know the feeling with steps...
            Going down I hold on to the walls on both sides and my legs feel weak. Going up it seems like it is very hard to even lift my leg to get to the next step. Sometimes I have to stop half way and rest. I always have to rest when I get to the very top.
            Not good since I have 4 full staircases in my home.
            DX 10/26/11

Comment

I go up the stairs

using all fours (arms and legs) - it's not a pretty sight!

Comment

I think stairs are a lot like life.

Sometimes it takes a long time to get to the top.

Comment

Originally posted by its2much View Post
                  lmao!!! me too!!
                  DIAGNOSED=2012
                  ISSUES LONG BEFORE
                  REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

I've got railings on both sides of the stairwell. This
                    way, if my hands are free, I can pull myself up, taking
                    advantage of my upper body strength to hoist me up,
                    one step at a time.

me
                    "I'm not limping!! I'm just favoring each leg differently!!"

Comment

I was diagnosed in 10/10 at age 59 and have also had a very mild course so far... mainly sensory things like ON, tinnitus, and some spasticity (I think but not sure) issues in my feet. But I do notice that when I walk up two floors where I work (I avoid the elevators), my legs feel heavy and like they are pressure-filled with blood... to the point where I have to stop and rest because they just ache. Otherwise my walking is fine and I go to the gym and ride the stationary bike about 10 miles a day without any problem... I had wondered if the heavy bloodfilled feeling had anything to do with MS also. If so, what would that be... spasticity or ??

Comment

My bedroom is upstairs somedays I get muscle fatigue so bad I'm not sure if I can make it . Then to do laundry it's in the basement thats two flights up carrying a basket some days I just can't do it . It's really frustrating . I hope all are well this evening I have insomnia something awful . Tam
                        A friend hears the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails .
                        (unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by its2much View Post
                          Me too!!! Well when I am at home any way - in public I have a death grip on the railing - if there is no other way to avoid going up them.

Comment

The sight of stairs strikes terror in my heart! It's amazing, such dread. And if there are no hand rails, forget it.

I have trouble at times with the one inch "step" to go through the door to get in the house. Funny how it can be such a struggle. And I agree that ramps aren't much better.

Going down is so much scarier than going up. Too bad we have to go down to go up! Even though it's tough, I take a deep breath and grit my teeth and do it anyway. Like rest of us that can.

The will of the human spirit, I guess.

Comment

Walking & stairs/ramps have been an issue one of my issues for years. Before my formal Dx (MS) I used to crawl to navigate the starirs and my wife literally laughted at me thinking it was funny, (to her).

Had P/T evaluation & told I was over suing my legs and making it worse. Since my formal MS Dx, starting copaxone & added a power chair (part-time) I am doing much better, but my walking is still limited.

One time, years a go I went shopping in ONE store. MY legs turned to Gumby Stix before I left that one store and was SICK (nausea) before I could make it back to my car, parked in a close handicap spot.

I have balance issues so down ramps are more hazzardous for me, falling wise, but I fall on flat level surfaces.

MS does not seem to like to do much walking....ha ha.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Working...
                              X