No more injections!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No more injections!

Iam seriously thinking about quiting the injections. I have been on Avonex faithfully since Aug 11.

Yeah I know its not long but Iam just plain ole tired of taking them. I think Iam depressed because of my marriage/separation/divorce.

It hasnt happened yet, but Iam suppose to move out of the house June 1. We have 3 kids and Iam moving in with parents.

I have two more injection felt in the fridg and I really dont think Iam ordering anymore.

I dont have any plans to do anything other than just let the MS be......

I completely understand how you’re tired of the shots. But you’d quickly be much more tired of the relapses that could take place if you stopped treatment. If you quit now, your faithful devotion to Avonex for the past few months will have been in vain. Please don’t quit.

Perhaps it would help to have someone else administer the shots. I’m sure the Avonex people would be happy to send a nurse to train one or both of your parents and/or a friend, and I’m sure one of them would be willing to step in. I stopped self-injecting a few months ago, and although I still hate shots, it has taken a load off.

The Avonex pen, which should be available now or shortly in the U.S., might also be a tool to help keep you compliant.

You originally decided to go on Avonex, and I presume there is no medical reason to believe that was a bad decision. With three kids to care for, I presume you want to do whatever you can to keep this disease at bay. Unfortunately, if you “just let the MS be” it probably won’t respond in kind.

Comment

I think you are right about being depressed about the divorce, moving, having to take the meds, etc. Who wouldn't be? Wanting to take one source of stress out of your life sounds very, very normal to me. Unfortunately, it's not one that you can give up without possibly inviting some devastating consequences down the road.

When i was diagnosed, I tried to tough it out for most of a year before I finally asked for help with my depression. It made a world of difference in my life, not just to me, but also as a parent. Anti-depressants aren't a cure all and they don't have to be forever, but honey, you are going through so much. Before you give up on your Avonex, it's time to ask for some help with the depression.

(The Avonex pen is out now in the US--my neuro's assistant said the rep came by to tell them today, and since I am switching to Avonex ASAP, it is what I will be trained on.)

Comment

For me, injections on top of my terrible divorce were too much for me to handle. I made sure I ate healthy and went to the gym a lot. Now I'm in a much better place in my life and just recently started taking medication again. You have to do what's best for you.
        There are no problems, only solutions. - John Lennon

Comment

thank you guys!

I really needed the words of encouragement. Please keep me in your thoughts/prayers today because I feel like an emotional wreck.

Comment

I'm thinking of you today.

Comment

Me Too!

I'm tired of injecting daily (Copaxone). I haven't been any better, actually worse. I never have very evident flares, just steady progression.

I do think though that you are reacting depressively to the divorce and situations you are facing so give it a chance. Maybe you will be worse off when you stop your dmd.

Hope things work out for you. Tough situation.

Diane
              You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

I'm praying for you. Divorce is rough! It will get better!

Sara

Comment

Your life circumstances may be one of the causes for your depression, but interferons can make it worse. I dealt with post-partum depression after birth of child #4 (pre-diagnosis). I went on Cymbalta for 15 months, and I have to say that I would do it again if I needed to.

When I was first diagnosed, I was on Avonex and then Rebif. I found I was spiralling downward very quickly. After 3 months, I was ready to go back on Cymbalta. BUT, my liver wasn't processing Rebif, so I had to go off of it. My depression got better very quickly as the meds left my system.

I am now on Copaxone, and it doesn't affect me that way. I said all of that to encourage you to get help. Go to counseling, take an anti-depressant, do whatever it takes to make it through this time. You may need to switch meds.
                  Melody
                  Diagnosed 1/28/10

Comment

Working...
                  X