traveling with Avonex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

traveling with Avonex

In June I will be going to see my daughters in Phx and Fla for about 10 days. I will need to take my Avonex (hope to have the new pen by then) with me, but was wondering about what to use for a sharps container. Looked on line and everything I found was at least a quart in size. Any ideas on this?

For both air travel and car trips, I’ve just put the cover back on the needle and packed the needle and syringe away in a small luggage pocket that I won’t be using for anything else. I throw it in the sharps container when I return home.

On the couple of occasions flying home, I’ve wondered if the needle might cause an issue with airport security. But unlike things such as pocket knives, it’s not like I would care if they seized it. In one case, I believe New Orleans, the restroom had a sharps container so I deposited my used syringe and needle there while I waited for a plane.

For air travel I’ve carried on a small insulated bag to keep the Avonex cool, using the gel icepacks it’s shipped in. (I’m surprised I’ve gotten those through, especially on the return when they're no longer solid.) I also take the empty cardboard box it shipped in, plus a letter from a pharmacist I have on file, just in case security asks questions. They never have, except in one instance in 2004 when I was flying standby, which attracts more attention from the security folks.

Comment

That's a good tip on the restrooms. Also, you might just go into a drug store and tell them you have a sharp to dispose of. If you're checking your luggage, you can just pack it in there and throw it out at home. It's not like it's a danger to us - it's just a general precaution for anyone who might handle the trash and I think, to prevent drug users from finding a nice new syringe.

Comment

Thanks for your responses... I guess I'll just put it somewhere in my luggage for disposal at home.

Comment

Working...
        X