Fatigue Medicine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fatigue Medicine

Diagnosed in Nov 2011, I began Provigil 200 mg in January 2012. My insurance denied coverage so my secondary insurance, from my husband, paid for the outrageously expensive medication.

However, in 2 months, I will no longer have that insurance coverage. I can not afford Provigil without insurance so I'm a little panicked about what to do. I truly believe I'm a part of the living because of this medication!

What else is out there? Better than Provigil? I really don't want to call my doctor right now and him just prescribe the next drug on the list that my insurance will cover. I want to know it is going to WORK!

I'm open to anything! Thanks!!

Provigil

Since Provigil is now available as a generic will your insurance company be willing to pay for that ? While still not cheap, it is less expensive than the brand name formulation. Just a thought.

Comment

Still not cheap at all!

I checked my copay for both provigil and its generic - provigil copay is $950 for one month, the generic copay is $750 for one month.....
      Has anyone tried the generic and, of so, is it just as effective?

Comment

Here's a suggestion...

Take a Malic Acid supplement (about 500mg) along with a Magnesium supplement before each meal.

The combination has been clinically tested in Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome patients and shown very effective at reducing fatigue and pain.

Cost = $5

And if you find some of your fatigue is brain-related, try taking Alpha GPC (L-Alpha Glycerylphosphorylcholine), basically a more effective form of Choline which gets neuro-transmiters firing better and protects myelin.

Cost = $15

Both these supplements may also slow your MS.

I take both and am never tired. I find the Alpha GPC really sharpens my thinking.

Comment

I just started on generic provigil today and although I had never been on provigil (was living off of nuvigil samples that my dr. gave to me because my insurance would not approve either nuvigil or provigil) anyway, seems to work just as well as nuvigil did. I feel for you though, the fatigue is brutal and thanks to ridiculously expensive meds, it is so hard for most people to afford to take them...its so irritating...hope you find some relief soon.

Comment

Provigil

Im sorry youre struggling to get these meds covered! Have you spoken to the drug company? I know it's a long shot but they sometimes offer prescription assistance.

I havent started any Rxs for fatigue but I do religiously take B12 and D3. I still struggle some with fatigue but they help some.

Good luck, and I sincerely hope you figure out soemthing that will work. Fatigue is one of the toughest things we battle.

Comment

Hope you try what Knuckle suggested. I have and it appears to be working.

What shocks me the most is that I was on provigil about nine years ago and it only cost me around $30 a month. What is going on?

The reason I stopped provigil was not because of the cost, but I was warned by a doctor that gave me some history on it and convinced me it is not a good drug to be on for long.

Again, hope you look into the suggestions made by Knuckle.

Comment

Do you mind sharing

what the long term side effects of provigil are? I have a son that takes it.

Comment

Vitamin B12

I took vitamin B12 a very long time ago because I was so tired. It increased my appetite tremendously. (I gained about 20 ounds and stopped taking it.) Has it had the same effect on you?

Comment

L-carnitine works like a charm for me.

Comment

Its2much,

The Dr I had was a neuro. He was an older gentleman that knew the drug was being used for our military men and women in order to keep them up at night. He was also aware of some of the problems it was causing and advised me to get off. I looked up the side effects and it matches to what he warned me about.

What are the possible side effects of modafinil (Provigil)?

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Stop using modafinil and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
                      fever, sore throat, headache, and vomiting with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
                      bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness;
                      easy bruising or bleeding;
                      white patches or sores inside your mouth or on your...

if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.

This medication should not be used if you have certain medical conditions. Before using this medicine, consult your doctor or pharmacist if you have: a certain heart problem (left ventricle thickening), a history of previous reaction (e.g., chest pain, irregular heartbeat) to stimulants.

Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: high blood pressure, heart problems (e.g., chest pain, heart attack, heart valve problem), liver problems, kidney problems,...

Comment

Pkar2,
                        Thanks for listing the negative side effects of Provigil. The natural stuff referenced here have none of those negatives and they are much less costly. Hmm, which to choose ? !!!

Comment

Working...
                        X