AVONEX autoinjector :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AVONEX autoinjector :(

Saw the new Avonex autoinjector that states less pain with 50% shorter needle. Please, please research. A "shorter" needle does not mean less pain. A short needle may not get to the muscle which is the intended site for intramuscular injections. The initial "pain" comes from the beveled end of needle piercing the skin.

On another note, I was initially trained to inject the medicine fast after needle was injected into the site. This is not so beneficial. Your muscle is like a sponge. If you were to place the sponge under the faucet and turn the water on full blast, the sponge doesn't exactly absorb the water. If you trickle the water onto the sponge, absorption much easier on the sponge/muscle.

Slow hand is better...

Originally posted by brjobi View Post
    Saw the new Avonex autoinjector that states less pain with 50% shorter needle. Please, please research. A "shorter" needle does not mean less pain. A short needle may not get to the muscle which is the intended site for intramuscular injections. The initial "pain" comes from the beveled end of needle piercing the skin.

On another note, I was initially trained to inject the medicine fast after needle was injected into the site. This is not so beneficial. Your muscle is like a sponge. If you were to place the sponge under the faucet and turn the water on full blast, the sponge doesn't exactly absorb the water. If you trickle the water onto the sponge, absorption much easier on the sponge/muscle.
    I agree that the length of the needle is not as big of a deal as it might sound, and it's more psychological because of the way the pain receptors in the skin actually work, BUT my neuro injects my Avonex shots S-L-O-W-L-Y. We were doing them fast at home and it hurt so much more. Then for a treat at my regular doctor appointment I asked my doctor to do it, and not only did his do it in the upper arm (which I thought would really hurt) he did it slow instead of fast like we had always done. Honestly, I didn't feel a thing!

I now put the needle in my body like a dart, and then do my injection SLOWLY like the doctor did. It doesn't hurt as much as my previous method, although I will never have the professional touch of a real doctor, of course.
    Tawanda

Comment

I am a bit confused-have you used the new pen? I have now been using it for many months (we've had it in the UK for a while) . Whether it is due to the smaller and shorter needle , I do not know, but I hardly feel the needle going in and get virtually no site reaction afterwards. It is great!

Comment

I suspect the most important factor in pain, is the thickness of the needle and whether you see it or not. I think they shortened the needle so that it could fit into an already giant auto-injecting mechanism.

Thin = less pain
        Not seeing = less pain

Comment

I would strongly suggest asking your Dr. I have not used the autoinjector. The part of the advertisement that states 50% shorter needle makes me nervous. Like I mentioned before a needle shorter that 1 1/4" may not get into the muscle. You may just me getting into the fat layer that covers any muscle layer.

Comment

I decided to call Avonex and have them explain to me how the autoinjector needle (which is a 5/8" needle) can get into the muscle, The rep explained the autoinjector is designed to be injected into the upper outer thigh area only. The autoinjector must also be pushed firmly to indent the skin at injection site before triggering the pen. I am still extremely doubtful on this. First if this is the only site you are to use, rotating right and left sides, scar tissue will build up over time, especially if doing weekly shots for life. Scar tissue is going to cause problems. Still not convinced a 5/8" needle can be compressed enough to get to the muscle, I am sticking with my 1 1/4" because I want to make sure I am getting to the muscle without a doubt. BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE, RESEARCH AND TALK TO YOUR DR. PLEASE!!!

Comment

I suppose the size of the patient does matter as well. I was surprised after being told that the 1" needle was too small to be used in the butt. So it is a good point - the needle does need to get into muscle.

Comment

I have injected myself for the past year with Avonex and for me, the biggest obstacle is not the pain from the meds or the needle, its the anxiety of knowing you have to stab yourself, yet again. I do not experience any pain from meds themselves but the insertion of the needle does get my notice.

I am planning on using the Pen because well, I tend to become very anxious and tense.

Comment

There is definitely a technique with the initial piercing of the skin! I am in a pharmacology class and learning proper injection techniques. You would be surprised how many "professionals" or trainers do injections incorrectly. If you would like any tips I would be more than happy to help!! I could video giving myself the injection!!!

Comment

There is definitely a technique with the initial piercing of the skin! ... If you would like any tips I would be more than happy to help!!
                    I certainly am curious what these tips might be, although I haven't self-injected for a few months. I was taught to pull the skin tight, I believe because it reduces the surface area for the needle to hit. But then it's been eight years since my training. Also I was instructed to jab quickly.

One friend/nurse that injected my arms for a couple of month, she squeezed the area and the reason she gave sounded good, but I don't remember it now, and she's not around anymore.

Comment

I am doing my shot Mon night and I will video and figure out how to post

Comment

I am doing my shot Mon night and I will video and figure out how to post
                        Yes please. even if you post to you tube and share the link. I am going to start this with the pen soon and super nervous! Never had to inject myself before.

Comment

Originally posted by struck-a-nerve View Post
                          Yes please. even if you post to you tube and share the link. I am going to start this with the pen soon and super nervous! Never had to inject myself before.
                          I know it seems pretty daunting, but you can do it. You'll feel tough as nails afterwards, too. I'm switching to Avonex and get to use the pen soon, so we can learn together.

Comment

I use a 1 1/4" needle. I am not convinced the avonex autoinjector is the best method. FDA approved this method to be injected into one specific site and still not convinced it will get to the muscle. For me, if I have to inject myself to prevent future relapses, I want to make darn sure I get to the muscle. I have been doing the injection with this long needle for 4 years now and I am pretty much used to it. I will definitely post my shot to youtube!

Comment

It's really a good question. I know for the injector, you're supposed to press down in a way that's impossible with the normal needle. In theory , you get closer to the muscle.

If you have, as they say: "a few extra pounds", you might need a longer needle. Questions for the doc, but who knows really?

Comment

Working...
                              X