Does anyone here take Aricept?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone here take Aricept?

Hello fellow MSers....does anyone here take, or know about Aricept?

I have been on it for approx 3 weeks and while I see the cognitive benefits, the nightmares are horrific. I'm actually afraid to go to sleep now.

After only a few days on it I immediately switched from taking it at bedtime to the morning in hopes that would relieve the nightmares. But still no luck.

Any suggestions for the nightmares? Like I said, the cognitive improvements are significant, so I'm hoping to find out how to relieve the nightmares.

Thanks!

I took Aricept for awhile a few years ago to help with cog fog. When I stepped up to the recommended dosage I got such an upset stomach. The benefits were not worth the intestinal discomfort. I never had nightmares, though.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Comment

I have been taking Aricept for about a year now. I have only been able to take the 5mg tablets because the 10mg cause acid reflux. It has helped with cognitive issues and helped my dizziness significantly. I have not experienced nightmares at all but like I said I am only on the 5mg tablets. I hope this helped.

Comment

I guess I should ask about your sleeping . Have you been sleeping soundly ? Is your cog fog related to fatigue? Have you ever considered trying LDN ? Because, if there are nightmares, that could mean that your brain may be over- producing endorphins when you are asleep. I am not a doctor and I am only brain storming.
        You do realize that quality sleep, nutrition and exercise are critical to quality living with this MonSter. Did your doctor consider your sleep habits ? Do you take vitamin D and any other hormones or steroids ? If the Aricept is causing nightmares and you don't sleep because of that, I can't see the benefit.

Comment

Aricept...

Thank you Karen and jfoster for your replies. (Karen - you're not from the Buffalo area by any chance are you?)

Jerry - I was sleeping soundly until the Aricept came on board. The Rx says to take at bedtime, but I switched to taking it in the a.m. because of the nightmares. Taking it in the morning also reduced the GI upset associated with the med.

Because of the significant cognitive improvement with only 5 mg, I wanted to continue giving it a shot with the hopes that the nightmares would go away. (Of course, I dealt with all kinds of things before the actual diagnosis that I was hoping would go away. )

The benefit was the cognitive results…I just want the negative to go away!

The cog fog definitely gets worse with fatigue. I am brand new to all this…just diagnosed in January…and am still trying to sort everything all out.

I am not familiar with LDN. Would you be so kind as to explain that to me?

I cannot honestly say if my doctor considered my sleep habits. I had read posts here that people were helped with Aricept so I asked my neurologist if she would be comfortable prescribing it. She was, I started it, noticed an improvement in the cog fog, but am now getting agitated with the nightmares. I sent a message to her office today about it and am waiting to hear back.

I do take Vitamin D, I do not take steroids, and I am on estrogen and progesterone. I am very good about nutrition and exercise…weighing in at about 108-110 lbs. I push myself every day to walk and stay active and positive.

Like I said, I am brand new to all of this and just trying to find my way. It sure is a confusing mess.

Any help, advice, direction, etc. etc. you can give is greatly appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by happy42day View Post
            Thank you Karen and jfoster for your replies. (Karen - you're not from the Buffalo area by any chance are you?)
            Yes I am!

Good luck with Aricept. I think my cog fog is my most annoying / irritating / disabling symptom.

Comment

The term LDN means low dose naltrexone. It is a pharmaceutical drug that helps the body to modulate endorphin production. Endorphins are produced by the body for a variety a things. You are familiar with ' runners high'. Well, imagine the body stops producing the required amount of this.
              As far as vitamin D, a hormone, you did not say that your levels were checked by a lab. In this wacky MS world, the body doesn't act like healthy bodies. So you need to think about getting it in balance.

Comment

I forgot to point out that LDN is covered here by knuckle. Do a search, you'll find it.
                You say you are new to this, I am sorry to hear that. You will find out that the doctors will prescribe drugs for symptoms, but there is really nothing for the disease, as far as a 'cure'.
                So if you don't think out of the 'box' and actively participate in your treatment, you will probably be wheelchair bound at some point. I have personally seen this happen to 2 friends, in the last 30 years. Both are now deceased.
                I am sorry to sound so dramatic, but MS is a puzzle that medical science doesn't have much of a handle on. They treat the 'odd' symptoms and they try to stave off the relapses.
                I don't know what Aricept is supposed to do, or what it does to your body to get the desired outcome. I only know that if it keeps you from a good comfortable night's sleep, you need to find something else. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by happy42day View Post
                  Hello fellow MSers....does anyone here take, or know about Aricept?

I have been on it for approx 3 weeks and while I see the cognitive benefits, the nightmares are horrific. I'm actually afraid to go to sleep now.

After only a few days on it I immediately switched from taking it at bedtime to the morning in hopes that would relieve the nightmares. But still no luck.

Any suggestions for the nightmares? Like I said, the cognitive improvements are significant, so I'm hoping to find out how to relieve the nightmares.

Thanks!
                  I take Aricept and have NOT had any night mares. I take it in the late afternoon. You may want to talk to your doc. Maybe the could just LOWER the dose for a while and see how you do.
                  Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Working...
                  X