Run a 1/2 Marathon ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Run a 1/2 Marathon ??

Where to begin ? Married to my smoking hot wife 27 years and just found out what was wrong with me Nov 2010. I've always been active and pretty fit. I thought that I was just getting old and lazy because I had trouble walking for miles and was always tired... Anyway .. instead of feeling sorry for me ... my loving wife just told me that she was going to start learning how to run a 5k race .. (what !?) my wife has never run before.. what was that about ? As I found out later.. what she was saying to me was.. "get your butt off the couch and stop feeling sorry for yourself"..

So I eventually got up an started training with her.. I can't run or walk very far, but I could still ride a bike. Tomorrow, she has to train for 11 miles, and I will be right with her on my bike... The weird part about all this is.. I just had my 1st annual MRI. After taking those terrible shots for a year, changing my diet and doing some exercise when I am able, the Dr. announced that my legions shrunk from last year.. now I know that this is not a cure, but it was encouraging and I credit my beautiful wife for her support !!! Keep moving ya'll !!

Welcome to the board !

Yes, I believe too that exercises really help us. I can't run any more and maybe can walk a mile but on a bike I feel totally normal and I ride 100 miles a week.
    Now that the wild flowers are blooming every where here in TX it is really a treat!!.
    Keep on riding.
    Alain

Comment

Originally posted by penkalet View Post

Yes, I believe too that exercises really help us. I can't run any more and maybe can walk a mile but on a bike I feel totally normal and I ride 100 miles a week.
      Now that the wild flowers are blooming every where here in TX it is really a treat!!.
      Keep on riding.
      Alain
      I agree with everything you said. Can't run at all and probably couldn't walk a mile but I'm up to 150 miles a week on a bike. I'm planning to do two MS 150's this year and a couple other rides. The best I've felt since my Dx with MS has been since I started riding .... and all those adventures, oh my!
      Keep riding,

Comment

Hello Badaimata,

Witch MS 150 are you going to do?

I did the "Valero San Antonio MS 150 run to the river" last October and will do it again this year. Love it.

Alain

Comment

Man !

That's where I wanna be ... What type of bike do you ride ? I have a Diamond Back when I help my wife train...

Comment

Hi Alain,
            I can imagine San Antonio is a beautiful ride, I'll have to put it on my radar.

This year I'm doing Santa Fe New Mexico and Colorado. I hope to do others in the future, maybe Sonoma AZ, San Fransisco CA, and Amarilo TX. There are so many rides in such fabulous places and I'm sure the people and support are just as phenomenal in every one. And, they are a great excuse to keep riding!

Good luck,

Comment

Of Bikes and Great Women

Mike,
              I ride one of those fancy shmancy feather weight carbon fiber road bikes that I got earlier this year at my wife’s insistence, but only after I had put at least 15,000 miles on my old aluminum bike, which I also still have.

My wife has seen how valuable it is for me as a person with MS to stay active and she knows that cycling is an activity I enjoy and can do. Although she doesn’t ride, we both love to travel, so the bike events all over the country and even the world, provide a terrific venue for both of us. It is a win-win situation.

As far as bikes go, any bike you ride is a good bike.

Comment

Hello Mike,

I ride a Cannondale Cross road bike because I live on the TX country and I have 2 miles of gravel road before I get to the proper road.
                This is my first full year to ride and like Badaimata when I get more miles on my legs I like to buy a pure road bike just for the races!
                Have fun.
                Alain

Comment

Badaimata,

Whaaa! I love to do Santa Fe or Colorado!

Maybe one day, for now I spend my summer in France ( I am retired! ) and ride also there . Where I live, you go up or down , no much flat so it is good training for Colorado.

Have a good riding day.

Alain

Comment

Mike, you'll find these two misfits over at ActiveMSers.org. If you are looking for "get your butt off the couch and stop feeling sorry for yourself" MSers, that's a pretty good place. Not that I am biased or anything, ha.

-Dave, ActiveMSers

Comment

Thanks, and I will check it out. Tomorrow at 5am my wife will run the Country Music Marathon in Nashville. She also ran a few miles when we went to Rome last Dec. We love to travel also and I have a trip scheduled to Aruba in Dec. How's that for active ?

Comment

Alain, I am also retired although not entirely by choice. Hope you can make it to the Colorado or New New Mexico MS 150 ride one-day. The New Mexico ride is probably the more challenging of the two. They've got an eight mile long hill with some 11% grade in it that will challenge even the unimpaired if they're not in pretty good shape. Training in France should be about right for it though. Need any company over there?

Mike, your post mentioned the Nashville Marathon that prompted me to look at MS 150’s in Tennessee. The “Jack and Back” looks like a good one and I've just got to have one of those "Jack Daniels" team jerseys.

Comment

C'Mon down ya'll !

Actually, she just ran the Oak Barrel race down there in April...

You will love it !

Comment

As a result of my being newly diagnosed in mid-April the wife and I took a hard look at our lifestyle. We're middle aged, overweight and sedentary so we decided to make some changes. One of the things we were missing was a goal. No longer!

We have decided that we will train for, enter, and finish the Warrior Dash (http://warriordash.com) in Portland in September of 2013. Compete? No, that's not the point. The point is to get ourselves in much better shape, go out and have some fun.

With the numbness in my leg it may be difficult but I'm going to give it my best shot!

Codex1554
                            A spirit with a vision
                            Is a dream....
                            ...With a mission

Comment

Hello Badaimata,

I look for those two Ms 150 new Mexico and Colorado and they happen while I will be gone!!
                              But I will not mind to do one some where else then TX when I am back in September.

And sure if you want to bike in France we can talk about it.

Alain

Comment

Working...
                              X