Betaseron Site Injection Reactions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Betaseron Site Injection Reactions

My sister has been on Betaseron for about a year now, after going through all the other options futily. Each injection leaves a dent in the skin and a thinning of the outer most skin layer (plus bruising, swelling, redness and pain). Her healing speed has been slowing down and we are out of places to inject without overlapping brusing anymore. Suggestions please? Similar Experience? Options? She has a topical steroid to use before injection, and ice and naproxen. Thanks!

Has she tried manually injecting or is she using the betaject?
    Sometimes going slow and manual can cut down on the trauma.

Comment

I have gotten some large reddish patches injecting in the lower parts of my thighs, but not in other areas. Is this happening at all site locations all the time, with and without the auto injector?

I agree that manual injections (make sure there is no liquid in the needle when you inject) given slowly are the best. I will take 20 seconds or more to inject and find there is less discomfort, though I am not so sure about site reactions.

Maybe call the beta nurse and tell your doctor. You may need to switch to another medicine.

Comment

We have NEVER used that autoinjector thing.....awful......

Dr. and Nurse no help......

To my knowledge, there is no other med to try.

Comment

The only other thing I could think of trying would be to wash the area she just injected with a mild soap and water solution and a kleenex.
          Sometimes its the Beta that causes a reaction. Sometimes its the preserved saline in the syringe. Sometimes its the alchohol pad. Sometimes its just a matter of gutting it out until you build a full tolerance and it will stop.
          The "dent" sounds really odd. That's usually caused by one of the other DMDs (Copax?) and shouldn't happen with Beta.

Comment

I was diagnosed in 2005 and immediately put on Betaseron. 7 years later and 8 neuros after that I have finally found a doctor whom I trust and respect and will be starting Copaxone this week.

I went off Betaseron less than six months when I started because of the insane site reactions.

Ok, putting aside the excruciating headaches, nausea, vomiting and being totally bedridden only to barely recover to take my next shot...it was the site reactions that made me quit.

I would get a welt the size of a quarter where the needle went in and in a day it's like the skin actually died! The skin peeled and turned almost black it was utterly disgusting. Not to mention painful. Some people don't react well to certain medications.

So 7 years later I think I'll give it another try...different drug this time round!
            There are no problems, only solutions. - John Lennon

Comment

Working...
            X