Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doxycycline and Lisinopril May Slow Down MS- article(s).Also- could they effect resul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doxycycline and Lisinopril May Slow Down MS- article(s).Also- could they effect resul

Hi All-

I'm new here, and in limbo as I work my way through diagnostic testing and waiting, but have been reading up on meds I take to see if they are effecting any of the disorders I'm being tested for. I started doxycycline about 1 yr ago for rosacea at 20 mg 2x daily. It helped a bit, but as the dose was increased it helped more. Dec 2011 it was increased to 100 mg 2x daily. That cleared the rashes a great deal, but also cut through constant body aches I'd had for more than 25 years and ended the sweats I'd had for about 1 1/2 yrs.

In Jan I saw a neuro (for other symptoms like slurred speech, slowed cognitive ability/confusion/memory issues, numb/tingling fingers and toes among many others) and began the diagnostic journey that may end with MS...or Sarcoidosis...or who knows? Since those two are the main dx's left in the ring I've continued to read up on them and see if any meds I take- such as doxycycline and lisinopril could be having any effect on MS or Sarcoidosis.

There are articles stating that both doxycyline and lisinopril may be beneficial to patients with MS as well as for patients with Sarcoidosis. Pretty mind boggling to me that I happened to be on 2 meds that may be helping to alleviate or slow some symptoms of both things my testing is focusing most on!

I have tried to learn more because I'm wondering if taking these meds could be affecting the results of my diagnostic testing. From what I've read, the answer appears to be that it is quite possible.

For anyone else interested in this I've pasted the links to references on MS here. If you want toe sarc ones pls let me know- I wasn't sure if anyone would. I hope I've done this as per forum rules. If not, will someone please let me know? I really want to comply. Meanwhile, maybe someone here will read this and find something in it that may help them. I'm too new to know, but figured it might be worth taking a look at.

All my best! "oceans".

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/91379.php

"The authors wrote that doxycycline, and other antibiotics in the tetracycline family, may help combat MS and other inflammatory diseases by slowing down enzymes that attack certain cells of the nervous system. This protects the brain and boosts the immune system, they suggested."

Here's another reference:

http://www.davidwheldon.co.uk/ms-treatment1.html

MRI improvement, with reduction of the number of Gd-enhancing lesions, in a second treatment study with minocycline [Metz LM, Zhang Y, Yeung M, Patry DG, Bell RB, Stoian CA, et al. Minocycline reduces gadolinium-enhancing magnetic resonance imaging lesions in multiple sclerosis. Ann Neurol. 2004 May;55(5):756.]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21656035

" treatment with doxycycline ... significantly attenuated the severity of EAN, decreased inflammatory infiltration of macrophages, B- and T-cells and demyelination in sciatic nerves of EAN rats.
    ... doxycycline may be considered as a potential candidate of pharmacological treatment for neuropathies."

I was diagnosed while on doxycyline, had been on it for a few months for dry eye (actually had optic neuritis....)
    I also went on 100 mg. day for about 9 months after that study was conducted in 2007.

The study was so small, and no further study followed, so neuro decided to not continue me on it.

I did not have the same response reported by Sarah in that article.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experience. Any bit of info from others is appreciated!

BTW- I'm on 200 mg- it's 100 mg 2x daily.

I've skipped a dose twice in the last two weeks, thinking i may try going off for a it before my next mri. the first time I had the intense body aches and what feels like a fever back within 12 hrs. I thought it might just be a coincidence, but took my doxy and felt better by evening.

Yesterday I had skipped a dose and had the body aches/fever feeling all day, and a puffy face. Also had much more mild slurred speech and exhaustion. Not seeming so coincidental, now, but will try it again- just waiting to get past daughter's 18th birthday first as I don't want to do something that makes me feel worse for this.

Now I would not imagine anyone could react this quickly- I figured it would take weeks or months. But I'll try dropping some doses again to see what happens. Seems to me even if it isn't treating MS in me, it's holding *something* back.

I have read the doxy also treats some forms of arthritis, and obviously Lyme....so who knows?

I'd love to know if anyone else has been on doxy long term.

Thanks!!! oceans

Comment

What a coincidence that the MS momentum magazine just reported on studies showing that "normal" bacteria and their metabolism may play a part in MS. Big surprise for all the neuros that have discredited pts who have for decades insisted that doxy/flagyl therapy helped them and applause for the Drs who rx'd them anyway.

Also gives credit to those who have been helped by diet since the bacteria in question live in the gut.

Thank you researchers, but most of all thanks to Ms pts who stay proactive for themselves and the rest of us.

lori

Comment

Working...
        X