Gabapentin & Numbness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gabapentin & Numbness

My neurologist assistant told me to take Gabapentin 100 mg twice a day for numbness. I have been doing this for a couple weeks. I'm still SO numb in my legs. She told me to add a third to see if that helps... Any suggestions? Has anybody else been told this?

Sara

Hi Sara:
    200 to 300 mg of gabapentin per day is the usual minimum starting dose. If you're not getting relief, you can talk to your neurologist about the feasibility of periodically increasing your dose. When indicated, gabapentin is used up to 1800 mg per day (600 mg 3X) for MS paresthesias.

Comment

Thanks! That's what I figured. This numbness is so frustrating!

Sara

Comment

do you have constant numbness? i can only usually NOTICE it when im in bed and i am on 400 of gabepentin now at nighttime only....I am sure it is always there but that is the only time i choose to acknowledge it lol

Comment

Yes, I have major numbness in my legs. I took total of 500 yesterday. I feel not quite as numb, but with taking 100 this morning. I'm kind of loopy this morning and that is not good because I have a lot of work to do!

Sara

Comment

Hi Sara,

I take 1200 mg. of Gabapentin for my numb/painful legs. I wasn't sure if your legs hurt and are numbish 24/7 (like mine are) or if it comes and goes. Either way, Gabapentin should help with any numbness/burning/pins-needle feeling you might have in your legs, but it takes time to reach effective levels.

Usually people don't get good pain relief until they are at 1200-1800 mgs a day. It CAN make you feel really loopy/high for awhile until you get used to the dosage. I suggest going up 100 mg at a time, starting with your afternoon and evening doses (under the advisement of your neuro/MD of course!) and staying a week or more on each dose until you reach 1200-1800 or until you are (relatively) comfortable. The stoned/high/dizzy feeling will pass, just try to wait-it-out (drink lots of water, it helps!)
            RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Gabapentin and numbness

I too take Gabapentin for my numbness and pain in legs. My neuro has me on 200mg a day. I take it at night for the side effect of drowsiness. This past saturday night was one of my worst nights ever. I was in such distress with the numbness and pain in legs that I wanted to cut the legs off (not really) but I think you can relate. My husband is concerned because I don't get the rest that I need. It is always broken up. I keep him up at night with either the kicking and or walking around until I fall down from exhaustion. Only then do I get relief. He is going with me to talk with neuro about this and my other sx. I know this is a small dose and that I can take a higher dose. I just wish I can find relief. The other sx I can live with and hubby is tolerating but this leg thing is keeping the both of us awake.
              STR

Comment

Just Started Gaba

Just started on Gaba - for tightness and stiff muscles. Took my first dose last night.. I am med phobic so I did not read a lot about it... I started not to read the pamphlet that comes with it from the pharmacy..but I did.. wasn't too bad.

Doc wants me to get up to 3 capsules a day which will be 300mg.. I take 2 caps today. I have a work seminar today and I plan on taking one this morning and I hope I do not get too sleepy... but when I took one last night it did not make me sleepy at all.. just a bit relaxed which I definitely need.

I also take a small dose of Ativan but I hope with taking Gaba I can start weaning off ativan. I will take 1/2 ativan this morning and wait about an hour and take my dose of Gaba.. I hope I don't be too sleepy... Pharmacist and Neuro said I can take both...

Jay

Comment

Ooops.. meant to hit "instant email notification" when I sent my first message...

Jay

Comment

Working...
                  X