Copaxone and Side Effects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone and Side Effects?

I'm starting my 4th week of Copaxone. The first week, I had significant site reactions everywhere except my arms. I would get a 2-3 inch round rash with stinging and burning pain for about 2 hours especially on my thighs, a little less for the hips, lesser still for the stomach, and just a red mark with brief stinging on the arms.

After the first week, I noticed that the amount of time for the reactions (pain, burning) decreased by about half and the size of the rash decreased as well. So, I was hopeful that things were getting better.

This morning, I noticed that my injection site from yesterday (arm) has about a 1-2" round red mark and is starting to itch. My site from the day before (stomach) has a pink circle around it. And my site from three days ago (thigh) has a 1 inch wide red streak across it and is starting to itch as well. The tops of my thighs and my hip areas are sore (as if bruised) as is my arm from the injection last night.

Until now, any sign of the injection site has been gone within 2 hours. This morning, I also had unexplained waves of chills for about an hour.

I called the nurse at Shared Solutions and got the "according to the studies, X% of study participants versus placebo had this reaction" read to me by the nurse which I found to be not helpful at all...last time I call them! What a waste of time and money and so not helpful!

What I want to know is, are these typical side effects and what can I do to combat them? I inject at night with the autoject set at 6 for all sites.

I'm with you, I also have leftover evidence of injections and I have giant black and blue marks on each side of my outer thighs-and I have not ever injected there. Both my husband and I were quite alarmed to see that. We think the Copaxone has made my legs more prone to bruising, and when my little dog jumps up, she pushes against me and may have caused all those ugly black and blue marks.

My specific injection sites range from very itchy, a lump, hot to the touch, bright red. Older sites have a darker round mark, so at least I know where I previously injected, LOL.

I will be buying longer shorts, like the clam-digger type very soon. They need to be long enough to just above the knee I told my husband I am willing to suffer any side effects of this DMD if it slows the progression of my MS.
    Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

I've been on copaxone for a year and a half and at first I had a horrible time with them, huge bumps after injections and burning that lasted hours and the bump days. I changed to Rebif that didn't last long either because I started having reactions that lasted 24 hours and I couldn't tolerate that. Waited a couple of months for all the meds to filter out of my body and after going through all of my options with all the meds went back to copaxone. Learned that I should have called the nurse out to help me with my injections in the first place because I did not have the auto injector set deep enough and I was injecting at an angle. Since then there are times when I don't even feel the injection at all. Be careful around the muscle if you hit it or come really close it hurts or it won't let the needle go in far enough. I use benadryl gel for the itch and have only a couple of dark marks from injections that usually means used that site to much hope this helps

Comment

I have been on Copaxone for about a month now and i had just a burning and stinging right afterwards for the first 3 weeks and then this past week i have gotten lovely giant lumps where ever i inject......and they have lasted almost a week now!!!! I am actually considering trying something else...this crap sucks

Comment

Working...
        X