Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long were you able to work after diagnosis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BEst advice I haven't yet taken...

Several years ago and pre-diagnosis a co-worker in a different season in life calmed my full-time working mom with a messy house fears. She said "you can't do it all." Her words were so simple but it was like permission to just accept that the dished may not get done... or the laundry basket may overflow and that in the end, it didn't really matter. Several working mom friends have hired cleaning services. I am seriously looking into this option as I want to continue working as long as I can. However, with a young child, I want to spend as much of my non work time being the best Mommy ever. So, with that said... I can't really offer advice on working past diagnosis (since mine was only about 2 weeks ago) but I can share the wisdom that was shared with me. "You can't do it all." Enjoy work while you can. Enjoy your family. The dishes will wait.

Comment

I received a dx in June 2008 and worked as an IT consultant until April 2012. The last 3 years I spent traveling all over the country and job-hopping. In 2010, I finished my MBA and needed a cain to get to and from class. Now, I am on SSDI after being denied LTD due to the pre-existing condition clause. The best advice I can give is not to reveal your MS diagnosis to HR because corporate America has no place for an MS dx unfortunately and HR professionals are instructed to rid the books of persons with MS Yes, I've been through legal battles over this. And regardless of the laws that are on the books, the tables are stacked against us.

Comment

I agree.
        That's why I told my friends and co workers that all tests were negative.
        The truth is that they were.
        I don't talk about it.

Comment

Originally posted by futurmil2b View Post
          Should I try to do my best on this test? If I do well, which not sure if I will.. but if I do well, will this be a determining factor as to whether or not I receive disability??

Ms. Jay
          They are trained to know when you are purposefully trying to flub the test. Yes! You should try to do well. JMHO It was even written in my test results that the dr felt I was sincerely trying to do well on the tests.

To answer the OP's question, I was diagnosed in 1989 and worked full time (40+ hrs) through 2009 doing desk work, data entry, ap/ar, collections, etc.

I started having more cog and vision problems along with all the other fun MS things early 2000's. I applied for disability in 2011 and was approved.
          Karen

Comment

Working...
          X