Starting Copaxone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Copaxone

Starting Copaxone Friday! I just finished a round of Prednisone and was told by my doctor that I can not stay on them tod long periods of time. I am seriously drained...anyone have any tips?
    Dx Feb 2012 Copaxone 5/2012-present

I haven't ever done the steroids, but I hear the effects wear off after a few days...

As for Copaxone, learn as much as you can from the injection training nurse about both manual and auto injection. It took me 5 months to figure out that I had totally misunderstood pinching the skin to determine a good injection depth. That's important, because too deep and too shallow both tend to have a bigger 'ouch' factor.

If you haven't already heard, just about everybody gets a reaction a lot like a bee sting, and it goes away in less than 15 minutes for most. Some spots will sting more than others, and for some the stinging decreases the longer they're on it.

I hope the Copaxone does good by you...
    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Copaxone bites

I like that the Copaxone leaves little sore bumps. It reminds me where and when I took my last shot

Comment

Steroids really amp up your body, so once the steroid is removed it can really make you crash. Normal after-steroid feelings for me are usually: aching muscles and/or joints, exhausted, very-dry skin, and also a bit down/depressed. This goes away in a few days to a week or so (depending on how much you were on etc.)

The puffiness and water-weight (if you got this "super-fun" side effect) is usually gone in a month but can last 2-3 months for some folks...it's best to avoid salt/sugar when on Steroid treatment I've noticed.

I've been on Copaxone for about 3 months - I just have the bee-sting feeling for a few minutes after injection. I hope it goes well for you/you have good results! There is tons of good info on this site, knowledge is indeed power. :O)
        RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Please consider signing up for the peer support program thru Shared Solutions. They'll pair you with someone who can share their Copaxone expereince with you.

Comment

Thanks for your help! Just waiting for the nurse to get here for my lesson. The butterflies are starting.

Comment

I'm with you - starting C next week. Diagnosed in 2005! LOL! Only took me 7 years to get with it...
              There are no problems, only solutions. - John Lennon

Comment

I was really nervous about nothing! I didn't feel it until about a minute or two after the injection and it felt like someone was pinching my arm. Went away within 15 minutes. The nurse was great too, very knowledgeable. Her husband has MS so it helps her understand.

Comment

Good for you smile! I am VERY bad with needles, specifically doing bloodwork. I felt like a rock star after realizing that I was confident with self-injecting.

I like my Copaxone, it has become a pre-bedtime habit, and I relax while I ice the injection site afterwards and watch tv.

Did the Shared Solutions nurse give you a travel kit to contain all your 'tools' for injections? You can ask Shared Solutions to send you a travel bag that is much nicer than the little toiletry bag I received from my Shared Solutions nurse. It holds the prescription for the Copaxone and the self-injector in a little window, the needle cutter, the Copaxone pre-filled syringes, cotton balls, alcohol wipes, etc. You can grab it in an emergency and be confident you have everything you need.

I re-supply my 'Copaxone kit' when I re-supply my pill trays with meds and supplements. Always prepared! I also allow myself to relax after injecting and watch a little tv, I deserve it.
                  Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

Steroids and bones

For those of you that have done steroids....please talk to your doctors about taking calcium and Vitamin D afterwards. I didn't years ago, and it caused major damage to my bones. I just had surgery number two on my ankle to save my foot last week.

MS Kitty =^..^=

Comment

Originally posted by LisaL77 View Post
                      Did the Shared Solutions nurse give you a travel kit to contain all your 'tools' for injections? You can ask Shared Solutions to send you a travel bag that is much nicer than the little toiletry bag I received from my Shared Solutions nurse. It holds the prescription for the Copaxone and the self-injector in a little window, the needle cutter, the Copaxone pre-filled syringes, cotton balls, alcohol wipes, etc. You can grab it in an emergency and be confident you have everything you need.
                      Yeah, that travel kit is pretty nice.

My training nurse gave me a needle clipper, but didn't have any travel kits. She told me they were great and to just ask the Shared Solutions people. They call several times over the first few months to ask how you're doing, so just ask when they call and they'll mail you one (free).
                      1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Shared Solutions still calls me and I've been on C since 2007. One other little gadget they sent me is a simple plastic thing that slips over the syringe and makes manual injections so much easier.

I hope C works for you, I have had very positive results with it. Please keep us posted.
                        Jen
                        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I re-supply my 'Copaxone kit' when I re-supply my pill trays with meds and supplements. Always prepared! I also allow myself to relax after injecting and watch a little tv, I deserve it. [/QUOTE]

Yes I have the bag and like it a lot! I have 2 little girls so I can conveniently store everything in my safe in the bag. Shared Solutions also has a refrigerator lock box available which is great.

Comment

Hello everyone,
                            I received my verdict Feb/2011. I tried Betaseron for six months the side affects were horrible, I even plan on how I was going to end it. Believe it or not my complexion changed, my hair started falling out. I blame most of this on my severe depression.

Just today my neuro suggested I start using Copaxone. WOW, Im on disability finally, after looking at the price of copaxone, what am I to do, any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Gilenya was a second option. I have developed more lesion on my spine, the itching is driving me crazy. Please someone direct me in the right direction. Thanks to all who read my vent!

Comment

Shared Solutions will have a plan for you. They asked me if I needed financial assistance with my meds and I forget the details but they had a few pleasant options that were really a great deal.

Please let them explain the financial assistance program options! I love my Copaxone......barely any side effects.
                              Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

Working...
                              X