Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newly Dx, considering Copaxone - Thoughts on injection time of day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly Dx, considering Copaxone - Thoughts on injection time of day?

Hi all, I've been newly diagnosed, and my Neuro recommends i begin with Copaxone. The whole process of injecting myself is new to me, and i was wondering if anyone has input on what time of day they recommend and why? It seems to me that any part of the day has positives and negatives.

Mornings - Easiest to keep schedule, but worried about bad reactions happening on my commute to work while driving.

Evenings - Works better with work schedule, but i would think it would get in the way if you ever want to have evening plans.

What's worked for you?

I did mine each night before bed; it never interfered with evening plans, and my injection times varied by a few hours depending on when I went to sleep. As for the morning, any reaction you are likely to have would happen within minutes of injection, so it's not likely to interfere with your commute, or at least it would interfere far before you hit the road. So, really, it's all about what works best for you.

And, if it doesn't work as well as you had hoped, you can always switch. I was in the 2% or so who got nausea from Copaxone, so I switched from morning to evening to sleep through most of it.

Good luck!

Comment

When I was on Copaxone, I did my shots in the mornings. If you're going to have a reaction to C, it'll be right away...that's why they call it an Immediate Post-Injection Reaction.

Maybe get up a little earlier than usual to avoid being rushed/stressed?

Comment

i do mine before bed because i am so not a morning person. i need to lay with some ice on the area for a while too, so there wouldnt be enough time before work to do that.
        Katie
        dx rrms: 2/12
        copaxone 3/12 - current
        dx pcos 6/13
        gluten free, sugar free, dairy free = feeling great!

Comment

I take my injection at night before bed as well.. Its part of my routine.
          limbo land for 1 year and 4 months DX February 2012 Copaxon February 2012 for 6 months. No DMD's since.

Comment

Before bed for me. By morning the site reaction is usually calmed down. We have EXCELLENT support here for any questions you might have. Shared solutions is great too, but here we have experienced people on the med & doing well. Can't beat that Good luck

Comment

mornings and evenings

I started taking mine in the morning and then switched to evening because it always makes me a little dizzy for an hour or so. Not a big deal, but I want to have my work done and my teeth brushed before I take my shot.

Usually afterward, I watch TV and do my strength and stretching exercises. It doesn't interfere.

Let me add that I started the shots in February. The first week I had to have my Aunt holding my hand when I did it, with the Shared Solutions number and a cell phone by my side just in case. Now, it's so not a big deal.

Comment

I inject in the morning after my shower. No need for alcohol (I'm already clean) and I'm naked & ready to inject anywhere.

IF you have significant reactions, I'm not sure the time of day would matter much...
                1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

I'm a Copaxone at night gal. I keep it on my nightstand and do the injection right before going to bed. This has become part of my bed time ritual. Wash face, brush teeth, apply moisturizer to my face and do the injection. Just as I would not go to bed without moisturizer I would not go to bed without my Copaxone .

Site reactions have become minimal with time.

Just as taking any other medication that will lengthen and improve the quality of my life this injection is routine.
                  Jacque

dxd August 2011 at age of 65

Comment

I'm newly dx too and on copaxone

Hi, I started taking Copaxone about a month ago. I find that because it does take a little time when you are new at it that if I arrange to have at least an hour of down time after dinner or before bed it works well. Don't forget that you have a two hour window before and after the previous days injection to do it. I find that it really doesn't interfere with any plans for the evening if you schedule right. Just make sure you plan for it.

Comment

Hi there, been on Copax since 2007. The site reaction is usually a burning itch, you will find ways to alleviate this with experience.

The advantage of injecting at night is not having to put work clothing on with a site reaction.

Hope the med works as well for you as it has for me.

Best of luck,
                      Jen
                      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Originally posted by babygurl View Post
                        Don't forget that you have a two hour window before and after the previous days injection to do it.
                        Huh? What do you mean by that?
                        1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                        NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

I chose bedtime when I was on injections (Copaxone/Rebif)

When I start Beta in June - I will probably do the same.

It's the only time of day I can guarantee I won't forget it. Copaxone - I would probably switch to mornings though because of the IPIR - just in case (If I could do it again)

Comment

at bedtime

I've been on Copaxone since 2001. I always inject at bedtime...not the same time every night...my bedtime does flucuate.

I prefer before bed because it is when I am most relaxed and I can sleep through any annoying side effects...which for me are very minimal.
                            Angela Dx RRMS 7/2001; Copaxone 9/2001

Comment

I've been on Copaxone for a little over a year. I do mine the minute I walk in the door from work. I do it then so that if I do have a reaction, my husband is home, Dr office are open.

Comment

Working...
                              X