? for Avonex users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? for Avonex users

I will be starting Avonex soon, and I was wondering if anyone is using the Autoinject? I am really nervous about injecting into the muscle and would like to use the Autoinject but don't know if it is more painful that way.

I have used Copaxone and starting out using the autoinject but then switched to self-injecting because it was less painful than the autoinjector. I am wondering if maybe it might be less painful to self-inject Avonex, but I don't think I could do it IM. The long needle freaks me out.

If anyone can give me some advice, it would be great. Thanks

What country are you in? From my understanding, the Avonex pen (autoinjectable shot) won't be available until May.

Comment

I truly understand your nervousness, I was still worried about them after giving myself Betaseron shots for over 4 years! But the best advice I can give you is to relax, take a few deep breaths and drink so much water you can float a battleship! The water makes a huge difference. My 1st few Avonex went so well, I thought hey this is nothing! However, when I didn't drink enough the next couple shots, they hurt like you know what going through the skin. eek: So I very carefully am back to drinking lots of water again. Pay attention to your nurse trainer and ask her/him any questions. They are very helpful.

You can do this!

So far the autoinjects aren't here in the US yet, but I see no reason for me to rush to them. I like knowing that if a shot is going in bad, I can stop, take the needle out and inject elsewhere. Yes, I AM a control freak.

Comment

I switched from Copaxone and I do not think the Avoenx shots hurts at all during or after. Hope that encourages you
        "So, perhaps our task in this shaky, fast-changing, bewildering world in which we live is to make music, at first with all that we have, and then, when that is no longer possible, to make music with all that we have left." UNKN

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

BigA, I am in the US. I didn't know the pen wasn't available until May. My neuro acted as though it was already out.

I am happy to hear that it doesn't hurt as bad as Copaxone.

Thanks for your encouragement. This really helps.

Comment

I like the Manual Injection. If I get a twinge I can stop for a moment then continue. I have never chosen another site to Inject. Only do thighs/front and sides, 577 last week.
            Bill
            Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

I have been using the Avonex pen and it ROCKS. The needle is 5/8'' 25 gauge - which is even smaller than the small needle that they can give you with the prefilled syringes. Doesn't hurt at ALL.

The sound that it makes isn't too loud and even as the needle goes in, I love that I can't feel or see it.
              Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
              UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

As somebody else mentioned - make sure you hydrate well before injecting. Some people opt to pre-medicate with ibuprofen or acetaminophen. I usually take ibuprofen after but different regimen work for different people.
                Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
                UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

I am pretty skinny so back when I was on avonex I got 5/8 inch needles. Lift up the fat on your thighs you might not need the very long to be on the safe side one fits all needle that the package is supplied with or ask your doc if you can use a smaller needle. I also er manually, I like the glut and had a friend jab me there once or twice a month when doing it myself I used the thighs.

I am a pretty bad jabber and it still did not hurt. Very rarely I would hit a nerve and you get a little jolt but it did not hurt it just surprised me.

Comment

Thanks fellow Avonex users for all your encouraging words. I feel alot better about the whole process now. It's so nice to be able to get helpful info on this site.

Comment

LilStep,
                      I've been on Avonex for just over 4 months now. When I first started I used the prefilled syringe because I started with a quarter dose, half dose, etc until the fourth injection which was the full dose.

The moment I switched to the PEN on my fifth dose I loved it. There is no pain. Although I never had a problem injecting into my muscle. I’ve never felt it. The needles are so sharp its fine. The only time I felt pain was on the fourth shot when I was really having a hard time committing to injecting the needle and I nicked my leg a bunch of times.

The Pen is perfect. You never see the needle and it's over before you know it. The only thing I don't like is the loud click. It startled me the first few times. Once you get over that its smooth sailing.

For other people who use the pen I recently had a few pens where the button was really hard to push. One was so bad my husband had to help. I talked to MS Alliance (Avonex support) and they indicated that I should leave the Pen out for an hour instead of 20 to 30 mins like the instructions suggest. I did that the next time and there were no issues.

I would recommend the Pen any day. Also at first I only took Advil for symptoms but it didn't seem to work. After a month I switched to Tylenol at the advice or my pharmacist and nurse and I haven't had a problem since. I inject in the mornings or afternoon now to avoid sleepless nights and I am good. I also think that at night time I was more aware of symptoms. During the day keeping yourself busy helps. I know Tylenol usually isn't recommended but I've been assured that if I use it only when I take the shot, I should be fine. I have blood tests every month to monitor my white blood cells and liver function. No issues yet.

Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                      X