Student Loan forbearance hindrance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student Loan forbearance hindrance.

Hello, I contacted allsup because I am considering applying for my disability. I told them i had a student loan that was in a hardship foreberance. The lady told me they could not help me unless it was in a deferment.

She said I could get it changed. I did and I did not meet the criteria b/c i did not have an income.

right now I have been off work for the past month b/c of vertigo. I am a sub teacher and i only work part time. I was a hairstylist but i can no longer do that. my cognitive function is off.

What do I need to do about the student loan?

Thanks
    Meissie

Hi, Meissie. Based upon some research that I did, it appears that a hardship forbearance may stop Social Security from reducing your benefits based upon federal student loans owed. See the following website for more information: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.n.../0202410300#g6

You could also contact the Social Security Administration to determine whether or not your account currently shows that you owe a federal student loan and if you were awarded benefits, whether or not your benefits would be reduced and by how much. I would do this separately and prior to applying for benefits. I would also ask the Allsup representative to give you the basis of the reasons for the distinction that they made between hardship forbearance and deferment.

Please remember that my comments are not legal advice for your specific situation, only general inforamation and that you should not rely upon them as legal advice for your particular situation. If you want legal advice for your specific situation, you should consult with a lawyer. Yes, I know I am a lawyer, but this is not a legal consultation. I am merely providing general information concerning Social Secuirity disability law and not legal advice. Whew! That was a mouthful. But seriously, check this out and let us know what you come up with, Meissie, if you want to share.

Have a great day and good luck on this! This can be a bit complicated, but I definitely would go back to Allsup to try to get more information from them also.

Rich
    Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Hi Rich, all allsup said was that they could not help me and she explained the difference between the two. Their position because if i were awarded then the monies owed would be taken out of my award monies. I guess it's just their policy.

Which I don't get because I WANT to pay the the money I owe on the student loan I'm not trying to get out of it.That's the part I don't understand. I just needed a little time b/f starting to pay the loan.

The only thing I know to do is to cancel the Forebearance and see if that changes anything. I will be calling them back tomorrow to let them know about not qualifying for the deferment.

I really don't want to do this with out a rep.

Thanks Rich
      Meissie

Comment

this is interesting to me, i am awaiting my alj hearing for benefits, and i have been getting deferments so i was assuming as long as i keep getting the deferments because i have no income they wouldnt take the backpay? Im confused.

Comment

Hello I was told by Allsup they take what you owe on your student loan if it is in forebearance not in a deferement, so your good.

When I got ready to fill out the paper work for the hardship deferement one of the qualifications was a certain amount of income. Unless I read the application wrong. Allsup will not take my case unless i get it switched over.

I will rearead the app.

Meissie

Comment

oh ok good, thats what i keep getting the hardship defferment.

Comment

Hold the phone, donnainct. Meissie47 says, "Hello I was told by Allsup they take what you owe on your student loan if it is in forebearance not in a deferement, so your good." and you respond by saying "oh ok good, thats what i keep getting the hardship defferment." As much as we all love Meissie47, , are you sure you want to rely upon Meissie47's comment, which appears to based upon some unknown Allsup personnel's statement?

Rich
              Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

I guess not? My thinking was because I was approved for hardship deferrment and not in default or delinquent I would be safe. I better ask my attorney, if I can ever get in touch with him.

Comment

Hi, donnainct. Yes, that would be a good idea. I am not saying that you are not safe; just want you to be sure. If I get more information on this, I'll post.

All the best,

Rich

Comment

Thanks I appreciate it. I'm still trying to get in contact with my attorney.

Comment

Yes, sometimes we get busy. I am trying to get some more information on this issue, too.

Rich

Comment

Working...
                      X