?? MRI terminology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

?? MRI terminology

I know what a "flair" is but on my MRI report it uses a term with which I'm not familiar. I am not even sure I'm posting this question in the right place but this quote is the problem with which I am having.

"Left white matter shows increased 'FLAIR' in this image."

Any help appreciated.
    Dave

Flair, is MRI terminology for Fluid-Attenuated Inversion Recovery (MRI Sequence).

A flare on the other hand, refers to a relapse.

Grace (NMO+ since 2005)

Comment

Hi journeyman:
      Poster Grace is correct about the meaning of a FLAIR sequence on MRI. However, true to her name (grace), Grace may be too tactful (I'm not ) to emphasize that an MS exacerbation is a f-l-a-r-e (sudden eruption of intensity), not a flair (aptitude, talent, knack, style or stylistic embellishment). (Don't be embarrassed -- confusion of the sound-alike terms is common.) So when the correct term/spelling/capitalization is used, it should remove the confusion about a flare (exacerbation, relapse, attack) and a FLAIR (fluid-attenuated inversion recovery) sequence. Does that make sense now?

Comment

MRI Terminology

I'm a medically retire psych RN and 4 years into my MS. I had never seen this on a report before. I was just recovering from a really bad "flair" when I had this MRI done so it makes sense.

The Neuro's told me that MS rarely strikes the verbal area. This flair being in the left hemisphere near the temporal area is the speech site. It is also the speech motor are. That makes sense too as I could not speak toward the end of the flair.

Thanks to all of you. I really appreciate your knowledge and comments. Best to you on your journey with the MonSter.
        Dave Tampa, Florida

Comment

Working...
        X