"Community Outreach"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Community Outreach"

Just have to vent a bit. My local NMSS (National Multiple Sclerosis Society) periodically has Community Outreach Days where one can make a thirty minute appointment with a counselor from the NMSS to assist one with their concerns, problems, etc related to MS.
    Last Fall I had an appointment at a location approximately 45 minutes away from my home. I arrived there five minutes late (I got lost - what else is new?- couldn't find the building and then the room - there were no signs up to help one locate the program) only to be told everyone had gone home for the day (I don't think they packed up in five minutes!)
    I had an appointment today for another Community Outreach Day program! Yesterday at 4:30PM a voice message was left that my appointment was cancelled due to "no other participants".
    My purpose in attending was to get help with my health insurance and other financial issues. This is quite frustrating.....

That is a frustrating situation. If I were you I could call your local chapter. Ask to speak with their community services staff person. Explain to that staff member the background and they may be able to steer you in the correct direction.

It won't hurt to give them a call.
    Jacque

dxd August 2011 at age of 65

Comment

That stinks! Can you access the resources to maybe get that 30 min in another location, in their office, at your home, with another group's 30 min as a guest? Is it available on a webcast or DVD?

It sounds like valuable information, I can understand your frustrations.
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I would ask if you can have a "phone conference" with the appropriate person.

Check in with your local MS chapter and find out if that is an option, or ask them to direct you to someone in your community, such as a services council, who could help you out.

Comment

A Phone Conference

unfortunately won't work for me - I have cognitive impairments and get easily confused. I will try to look for someone in the community.

Comment

Working...
          X