lyrica 600 mgs not helping help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lyrica 600 mgs not helping help

has anyone taken lyrica 600 mgs is not helpins any suggestion for my burning pain

I've taken it yes, I had reactions to it so the Dr and talked and switched. She wanted me to take neurontin (for 5 years she wanted it) I tried it and while it helped somewhat it made me get such bad twitches all over my body. I am off it now. She was talking about me trying cymbalta, that one is scaryier to me though. Am sure tired of the drugs.

Comment

I take Lyrica and Cymbalta. Although not perfect, it does help with the nerve pain. Cymbalta being an antidepressant also improves my mood and have no side effects from it.
      I only take 50mg Lyrica twice a day though.
      Been taking Avonex since June 96
      For me Interferon therapy is essential in slowing MS down.
      Will continue with the weekly injections and take my disease one day at a time...

Comment

I know what that pain is like. I'm taking 150mg of Lyrica and I was thinking of asking my doctor if I could increase the dose. Wow, 600 mg!

I would really recommend asking your PCP for a referral to a good pain management doctor. They know how to balance the different medications to treat this stubborn neuropathic pain. Things like Vicodan only make it worse because it causes rebound pain.

But you shouldn't have to suffer.

I hope you can find a good treatment.

Comment

salo,
          I've had burning pain in my rt thigh for years. I was looking for a non-drug option at a pain mngt clinic yesterday. Instead the Dr. suggested increasing Lyrica to 75x3. He said max dose is 150x3 (450mg/day) He also wrote a rx for a TENS unit which is an electrical stimulation device that you put right on the point of pain. I'll try it but I'm not real hopeful......everyone would have one if it worked!

Back to the point, I was taking 75 mg lyrica at night and tegretal 100mg twice a day. The tegretal gave me immediate relief, but I think it makes my hand function worse. So I'm going to try lyrica 75mgx3. tegretal 100mg and the TENS unit

Ask for tegretal 100mg chewable. It definitely helped me. It does have a dizziness side effect so be careful. 100mg 3x a day is a low dose, but like any drug, I'd start slow and see how it effects you.

You'll have to drop slowly from 600mg lyrica. Tegretal and lyrica are anti-seizure meds so you have to be careful ramping up and down from doses.

I wish you the best.
          lori
          I wish you the best.

Comment

Gabapentin

I find that Neurontin (Generic: Gabapentin) works wonders for the burny-itchy-tingly-pain that I experience in my legs, back, breast, and abdomen.

I take a low dose (300 mg) before bed and it helps me to sleep too. If I am feeling breakthrough itchy-burny-pain then I take 600 mgs.

I recommend a pain mgmt doctor too though. Neuros can be great but they are nerve docs, not pain docs. There is al ot of crossover but a second opinion couldn't hurt.

I tried Cymbalta before but only got relief from the plain pain, not the complex type of MS pain. There are some side effexts too that bothered me. With the Gaba, I only experience drowsiness which is a bonus at night

Comment

You may want to add Curcumin (an extract of the spice Tumeric) to your drugs.

Curcumin is very effective for nerve pain (google: curcumin nerve pain) and may even slow MS progression. Here is a good link:

Curcumin may block MS progression

http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuse...ow/pageid/1895

Two other alternative treatments worth considering are Saffron and Malic Acid w/magnesium. Saffron, often taken as a tea, can be helpful in reducing pain and Malic Acid taken 2-3 times a day has been clinically shown to reduce pain in Fibromyalgia patients (google: malic acid fibromyalgia).

Saffron is being researched as potential MS treatment as well.

Comment

Just thought I'd update my post on this thread that I made on 4-14.
                Since that time I had my dose of Lyrice increased to 100 mg twice a day, and I noticed a distinct improvement in the nerve pain. Still that's a far cry from 600 mg a day. Still the the combination of Cymbalta 60 mg a day and Lyrica 200 mg a day seems to work best for me. Adding Cymbalta to Lyrica seems to be a good combination.
                Been taking Avonex since June 96
                For me Interferon therapy is essential in slowing MS down.
                Will continue with the weekly injections and take my disease one day at a time...

Comment

Working...
                X