Clonazepam rx for Dizziness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clonazepam rx for Dizziness

So I'm having a huge flare for 8 days now with vertigo/blurred vision (see general posts), and new nuero prescribed Clonazepam (.5 mg) for anxiety. Just got them yesterday afternoon and bottle says take one 2x a day for dizziness as needed. I have also been taking Meclizine (25 mg) 3x a day for dizziness from the ER doc.

I took one Clonazepam late afternoon and while I finally got some glorious, glorious sleep...look at the side effects!!

drowsiness

dizziness

unsteadiness

problems with coordination

difficulty thinking or remembering

increased saliva

muscle or joint pain

frequent urination

blurred vision

Also, big warnings on not stopping it suddenly. UGH, UGH, UGH
    Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
    Ampyra 10mg 2xday
    Copaxone 1/20/12

I have used Clonazepam (Klonopin) for 8 years and I really don't have any problems with it. My dosage is much higher than yours but for the most part I take it on an as needed basis.

One Klonopin has the same affect as drinking 2 beers (per my doctor). Klonopin can be addictive but not everyone will have an adiction problem.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Clonazepam...Valium...both benzodiazapines. I take Clonazepam .5 mg 1x/night to help with the spasticity in my lower extremities AND to help me to sleep. Some nights I sleep okay and don't need it. I've been using it for years. I've never upped the dosage that I take.

It's been known to be addictive. That's why they give you the whole spiel about not stopping it without contacting your physician.

Hope it helps you with that horrific dizziness!
      “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
      Diagnosed 1979

Comment

I've been taking it for years for spasm/spasticity. I recently had increased spasm in my face/tongue, and they upped my dosage...up until then, I had been on the same dose (.25 mg, 3 times a day) for probably 7 or 8 years.

My neuro always told me that when I had vertigo to take extra Clonazepam, and that would calm it down. So it is a normal med they prescribe for dizziness/vertigo.

As far as side effects, I don't seem to have any...maybe a little sleepiness, but not much. And as far as dependency, at low doses, I don't think you have much to worry about. In my experience, I've gone w/out for days (mainly when I was hospitalized and they couldn't get the orders right because of the low dosage and I'd be cold turkey off it for days.) I noticed no withdrawal. Everybody's different, of course, so that's just my experience.

Comment

wow, thanks so much!

Thank you for the replies! This is a new one for me, so I get kind of freaked out on taking new meds...I actually hate taking meds and try to avoid them at all costs...

But for this one, I very much appreciated sleeping 9 hrs straight after being jacked up on the solu medrol infusions for 4 days!

I notice my vision and balance are much worse with less sleep, so it's always a catch 22 with this stuff!
          Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
          Ampyra 10mg 2xday
          Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

jbell, when I was taking clonazepam, my husband told me I slept so soundly, a marching band could sail through our room and I would not react. He CLAIMS I also "snored like a buzzsaw", but I DO NOT snore.
            Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

Working...
            X