Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone Injection Sites

Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I've been on Copaxone since mid-January (dx'd January 2nd) and I get the normal small site reactions in every spot, with the exception of my arms. I get an awful reaction on my arms in that by the next morning (I give myself the shot at night when I go to bed) there is a big red welt at the site and spreading out to about a 4" diameter (if not bigger) and it is always hot and itchy.

I've called Shared Solutions and they said it's normal and sometimes you can get worse reactions in different areas. I've used heat and ice and Cortizone-10 and Arnica Gel (which really helps with the bruising by the way), but I'm really starting to think that I just do not want to inject in my arms anymore. Not only because summer is coming and it's slightly embarassing to have such big red welts on my arms, but it's just unbelievably uncomfortable.

I don't want to miss days of the injection (I haven't gone back for another MRI yet to see how I'm progressing - a few more months). Does anyone inject into other sites that work well other than those in the instructions provided by Shared Solutions?

Kim B

I was told it does matter where precisely in your arms you inject. The back of the arms, high up without engaging your triceps, seems to be the place to do it. If you're going into the outsides or fronts of your arms or too close to the elbow it's possible you're getting a little of the muscle, which I was told will be MUCH more painful.

That said, I know the arms are the most painful site for me, too, and the training nurse said to expect that. She also said to expect it to get better with time.

I'm a rule-follower, so I am religious about following the instructions and rotating sites in the prescribed areas. Others have, under their doctor's advice, found alternative sites.

I know the red splotches are unsightly, but the alternative is possible lipoatrophy, or a dent in your skin at the injection site. I'd rather have red spots on my arms one day a week than dents forever.

Comment

Kimmy,

I had exactly what you described on my arms after injecting for 2 months, then I was trying to go lower to rotate more and got too close the the elbow on the underside...ouch! Itchy, red, hot, raised welts for about 2-3 days.

I am sticking to higher up on the arm on the tougher outer part, avoid the soft skin underneath, way too painful for me.

Good luck!
      Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
      Ampyra 10mg 2xday
      Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

I have been on Copaxone since Jan 2008.... I had many issues with injecting in my arms as well. Not only was it difficult for me to do, it was painful too. Of course THAT day was the day that someone had to touch my arm in that EXACT spot.....or so it seemed.

I no longer inject in my arms at all. I randomly chose my spot each morning. I have no specific rotation schedule. It really depends on what I am wearing that day and/or how far along I am in my prep for the day.I do bruise sometimes, especially in my thighs, so I just randomly rotate.

I told my neuro about the issues and he said it was fine not to inject in my arms.

BTW... I just had my first major flare this past month.... that has sucked.... but still like Copaxone, as long as I don't inject in the arms.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimmy92279 View Post
          Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I've been on Copaxone since mid-January (dx'd January 2nd) and I get the normal small site reactions in every spot, with the exception of my arms. I get an awful reaction on my arms in that by the next morning (I give myself the shot at night when I go to bed) there is a big red welt at the site and spreading out to about a 4" diameter (if not bigger) and it is always hot and itchy.

I've called Shared Solutions and they said it's normal and sometimes you can get worse reactions in different areas. I've used heat and ice and Cortizone-10 and Arnica Gel (which really helps with the bruising by the way), but I'm really starting to think that I just do not want to inject in my arms anymore. Not only because summer is coming and it's slightly embarassing to have such big red welts on my arms, but it's just unbelievably uncomfortable.

I don't want to miss days of the injection (I haven't gone back for another MRI yet to see how I'm progressing - a few more months). Does anyone inject into other sites that work well other than those in the instructions provided by Shared Solutions?

Kim B
          I have a horrible time injecting my right side. I have right sided weakness. Per SS and my neuro, when patients have problems more on one side of the body over the other, that side of the body will have more of a severe reaction. So I have to totally exclude my right side for injections, also my arms and both legs do to the severe pain. So all I have is my left side of tummy and left hip and left bum (approved by my neuro). I asked my neuro for alternate spots, and he approved my bum and the side of my leg closer to the hip. Its always the best idea to talk over alternate sites with your neuro.

Comment

i found my arms were the worst as well, but it wasn't as bad if i could get into the fatty bat-wing part of my arms...the underneath part. it was hard to do on my right arm because my left hand doesn't work well so I would sometimes ask hubby or just skip right arm altogther.

talk to your neuro and maybe you can skip the arms. I have a huge butt so I used that a lot :-)
            Melissa Goerke
            [I]DX 7/2/10, Copaxone then Avonex, started Ty 9/13/11, JCV+ ended Ty 9/13, started Gilenya 12/13 Blood Pressure skyrocketed, started Tecifdera 4/5/14 - fatigue beyond bearable and symptoms became worse. Rituximab 8/8/14.....waiting for the miracle. I WANT MY TYSABRI BACK!!!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the responses! Very helpful. Thinking I'll stick it out and maybe renegotiate the spots on my arms until I see my Neuro again in August.

Comment

Working...
              X