Provigil is now Generic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Provigil is now Generic!

I just had Provigil filled today 4/4/2012, It is in a sealed bottle with Watson as the manufacturer but the tablets inside are scored as Provigil on one side and 100mg. on the other side, same shape and color as the brand name manufactured by Cephalon. I had no co pay and on the printed insert from Rite Aid the information leaflet indicates the cost is $639.99? The bottle is the same shape but clearly by Watson Pharmaceuticals on the label. And I have taken a dose an hour ago and can feel the effects. So I'm sure this will make many people happy as it's a very expensive medication and most insurances don't/won't cover it. Just an FYI!

Thanks for the info. I had been on Provigil before, but it is very expensive for the relief you get.

so I was back on Amantadine. I wanted to stop the Amantadine for a while because I feel it is losing its effectiveness and maybe a vacation from it would help. Also I have developed livedo reticulus (sp?) and was hoping to clear it up.

I will be calling my neuro.

Thanks again,

Comment

$639.99

was that for a 30 or 90 day supply? How many pills were in the prescription?

Comment

WOOHOO!

i hope that's not just a fluke, because YIPEE! energy again.
        last time i went to refill it was $300+ and THAT was my copay!
        they said it cost over $1000 regular price, will check it out!

that would be soooo wonderful!

thanks so much for the tip and hope of energy again soon!

take care and God bless ya!
        "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

I hope that's a 90 day supply. Back when I started Provigil, is was in the $10 a pill range for 200 mg.

According to my pharmacy who always prints out "what I saved"......the cost is now about $37 a pill for what I got filled last week. Back in March 2010 according to "what I saved", the cost was $13 a pill, January 2012, $27 a pill.

Are these figures really accurate? I guess if you escalate the price prior to going generic, not only do you get patients to switch to a newer medication (nuvigil), but those who stay with Provigil might think we are getting a good deal when the price drops for the generic version.

Comment

I think your Pharmacy numbers are very wrong, it has been running around $17-20 since Nuvigil came out, price was raised to get people to switch to the new Drug. Drugstore.com still showing no Generic, $19 for 200mg.
            Bill
            Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Au contraire. That $17 to $20 must have been an average price per pill. I just checked Drugstore.com's pharmacy, and the price for 30 200 mg tablets is $907. That's more than $30 each.

Obviously , it will take a while for the pharmacies to update their prices for a newly released generic.

Comment

This is good news. My husband just got a prescription for Nuvigil and some samples. He felt so much better and had a desire to get out and do something even though he still can't walk very well. When I went to get the pres. filled they said Medicare/Blue Cross won't cover it.

I asked his Dr. for a prescription for Provigil and that was turned down too. They said the FDA didn't approve Provigil for MS treatment.

I contacted Nuvigil and hope to get some help from them. We'll see. I'll go the Provigil route if that doesn't work. Everything seems to be such a fight. As if MS isn't bad enough.
                Husband Dx'd in 2006. Currently on Tysabri, Gabapentin, Ampyra, Baclofen..

Comment

if provigil has gone generic does anyone know if you still need a prior approval before the pharmac will fill it. i'll call rite aid on mon. this would be a new script.

Comment

It is my understanding that Provigil is currently only fda approved for 3 things - narcolepsy, sleep apnea and shift work disorder. That makes ms fatigue an off label use which allows the insurance companies to require pre-authorizations. My guess is that many insurance companies will still make you jump thrum hoops to get pre-auth but atleast the generic will cost less if you have to pay for it yourself.
                    M.
                    A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

Rite aid is a really expensive place to buy medecine.

Here's an online pharmacy with free shipping that's about $80 cheaper. It's not offshore; it's just mailorder. Same stuff.

http://www.healthwarehouse.com/solr/result/?q=Provigil+

Also, always check with Walmart. They have many generics at $4/month that Rite Aid will charge much more for.

Comment

Wow. That's incredibly expensive for a generic med. So much for paying out of pocket for that one. Oh well. I had to quit taking it anyway after quitting smoking earlier this year. For some odd reason, it started making me anxious and cranky.
                        It's not fatigue. It's a Superwoman hangover.

Comment

Maybe check again under Modalert by Sun Pharma. This is the brand I used before and it works great. This is one of the generic names. It's far less expensive than the prices posted above.
                          It's not fatigue. It's a Superwoman hangover.

Comment

Here's the generic. Still very expensive. I assume there is a gentleman's agreement betweent the generic and the brand manufacturers.

http://www.healthwarehouse.com/modaf...g-tablets.html

Comment

But for other meds, these guys are really good. Here is their list of $3.50 generics which are mailed to your door, postage included. You don't even need to drive to the pharmacy.

http://www.healthwarehouse.com/pharm...prescriptions/

Comment

Working...
                              X