The best vitamins to give you energy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best vitamins to give you energy?

Lately I am lacking energy and need to drink tons of caffeine to be able to even function. I was reading here before that alpha lipoic acid ala, and some other vitamin were used for energy, anyone know what one to take along with this?
    Thanks

butterfly.girl,
    I am not a doctor or even try to be, but I have been trying to get my energy back for 3 or 4 years. I can tell you that I take a sublingual vitamin B-12 daily. i think the other supplement that you are thinking of is acetyl Carnitine. I have taken this in combination with ALA for the last month and I truly do not feel any energy boost .
    Also, you must calculate the advantages of boosting your hormone levels.
    Do you have any idea if you have adequate levels of vitamin D, testosterone, estrogen etc. ? These things ( and others ) have a lot to do with your energy / fatigue level.
    I would consult my doctor and get all the tests that it takes to determine what is going on.
    Sucking down coffee for the caffeine buzz is great if you like to run to the bathroom. But I found out a few years ago that coffee / caffeine is not the answer.
    Good luck.

Comment

You know what's in 5 Hour Energy? This is what their website lists:

Vitamins

Vitamin B6
      Vitamin B12
      Niacin (Vitamin B3)
      Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)

Energy Blend

Citicoline
      Tyrosine
      Phenylalanine
      Taurine
      Malic Acid
      Glucuronolactone
      Caffeine

Safety

Phenylketonurics
      Large amounts of vitamins
      Niacin flush

Now, you may want to start with Malic Acid as it is very cheap at about $3 a bottle. Take it with Magnesium before meals and I think you will see results. They are often sold together in one capsule.

Malic Acid and Magnesium have been trialed to reduce fatigue and pain in Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome patients.

Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) and Acetyl L Carnitine (ALCAR) are also often sold together as fatigue-busters with the ALA serving to increase cellular efficiency at turning food into energy and ALCAR improving cognitive functions.

ALA may also help slow MS progression. Google: alpha lipoic acid multiple sclerosis.

I wouldn't be surprised if 5 Hour Energy was effective in slowing MS progression considering it's mix of vitamins and acids. See some of my recent posts regarding the the relationship of Malic Acid to the new Biogen BG12 drug.

When you look at the two, how they produce energy and consequently endorphins, and that endorphins serve to regulate the immune system, it makes sense.

Comment

How about starting with some good ol' B vitamins.

B vitamins from a whole foods source.

These are the active, end chain forms.

Isolate, synthetic B vit are listed as Thiamine, Folic acid, Riboflavin, ...
        Active forms are listed as Thiamine cocarboxylase, 5-methyl tetrahydrofolate, riboflavin-5-phosphate, ...

If you get yellow urine from your B complex, its a synthetic, isolate of the vitamin...Hard on the kidneys.
        NutritionTara
        Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

If you google these 5 Hour Energy ingredients with "multiple sclerosis" you get some interesting results:

Citicoline
          Tyrosine
          Phenylalanine
          Taurine
          Malic Acid
          Glucuronolactone

Several are being considered as MS treatments, for neurotransmission and protection.

Wouldn't that be something - 5 Hour Energy as a MS treatment? I would sure think it makes more sense to try first for fatigue than Providgil.

Comment

Knuckle

Wow, that is interesting! When I was first dx and having such bad fatigue, my dh picked me up some 5-hour energy, my neuro gave me the OK and it was the only thing to get me through the afternoon at work.

After 2-3 months on Ampyra, the fatigue really lessened and haven't been using the 5 hr so much, but I may just start up again. I can see nothing in it that would hurt me...

Also, I was afraid to take the whole thing at once, so I basically take one large swig and one bottle lasts 3 days for me.

Thanks for sharing!!
            Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
            Ampyra 10mg 2xday
            Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

BG12 is clinically trialed to be around 70% effective at reducing exacerbations.

BG12 is "dimethyl fumarate" which is derived from fumaric acid, which is a Cytric Acid Cycle intermediate, along with malic acid.

Dimethyl fumarate, fumaric acid and malic acid are all used as Psoriasis treatments. BG12 is a Psoriasis treatment in Europe called "Fumaderm" - for fumaric acid.

People who take BG12 report less fatigue and pain. This is because BG12 helps produce endorphins.

I would not be surprised at all if you did a clinical trial comparing BG12 to 5 Hour Energy you got similar results. It may work even better considering the neuro-related components.

Comment

Some odd and often over looked stuff:

IF you live far from any coast you zinc level may be low, somewhere like the Midwest.
                Your body only needs a trace amount, and it is dangerous to take too much.
                But it does help the conductivity of the nerves. Check to see If your multi-vitamin has it and you are taking magnesium it likely has zinc.

CoQ10 helps my fatigue, one of many benefits it has is improves circulation.
                And with improved circulation you get more oxygen to the muscles.
                Also for me, my foot and hands are no longer like ice, which made me sluggish.

Here is a good top 10 list of energy boosting nutrition stratigies
                http://www.health.com/health/article...409925,00.html

Note (2.) Is to “Seek out foods high in antioxidants” I have found a great way to boost your antioxidants is via spices. I now use a lot of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant spices, and wow not only does it boost the healthiness the enjoyment and fun of cooking and eating is wow!
                I recommend Penzey.com for spices you can’t grow and get fresh.

Although caffeine give a good temporary boost, because of the strain it causes on the nerves I say in the long run you be better off cutting down on caffeine.

The Drug Ampyra has really helped my fatigue along with many other systems, sadly is does not help everyone but I think it is worth a try. ( I know it has given me my life back )
                Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

L-carnitine.

Comment

I have been taking 1,000 mg of acetyl L-carnitine and 200 mg of alpha lipoic acid every morning since Sept. 2008. They do not give me an energy "boost" like you'd get with a shot of caffeine, but over a period of time, they have increased my energy to the point that I no longer have that bone numbing fatigue and weakness that I used to have. (And I can definitely tell if I don't take them for a few days!)

The combination of these two anti-oxidant supplements were tested in university studies, which showed that they can help with the fatigue from MS, chronic fatigue syndrome, cancer, and aging. The dosages in the studies are twice what I am taking, so if you try them and you don't get results, you might want to increase to the maximum dosages of 2,000 mg of ALC and 400 mg of ALA.

(They've also been shown to have beneficial properties in treating MS.)

I also take them with a Vitamin B supplement, Vitamin D, and other multivitamins.

Good luck! I hope they work for you like they have for me.
                    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Not all vitamins are created equal

There are a lot of vitamins out there, so how to choose?

Well, first get educated.

Did you know that some vitamins actually counteract themselves? Some of them actually destroy antioxidants in the same tablet and therefore fail to destroy - and sometimes even create "free radicals" which actually cause disease!

Also, vitamin labels don't indicate the rate of solubility or absorption, both of which are crucial to the effectiveness of the vitamin.

The only reason I know these things is that I've researched ways to slow the progression of my MS. I was diagnosed 24 years ago and today am totally MS prescription-free. I attribute that to a positive attitude and finding natural alternatives to the side-effect ridden prescription drugs.

I'd be happy to share my findings - contact me at **email address removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld guidelines. go to UserCP > Edit Your Details to put in your profile**.

Be well,

Deb

Comment

vitamins

I take a vitamin B complex and it works wonders for me.

Comment

Check out zipfizz.com

Not endorsing the product, but when you look at the ingredients it seems healthier and doesn't include caffeine. It's also cheaper (than 5 Hour Energy) and sounds like it tastes better.

I just ordered some and will report back on it's effects.

Comment

Ooops...it does have caffeine, 100mgs, but looks less than 5 Hour Energy.

Comment

Hi, Knuckel

I checked out that zipfizz and all looked pretty good until I saw that it had sucrolose in it. Wish it didn't otherwise I would buy it

Comment

Working...
                              X