Started Copaxone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started Copaxone

After waiting four months for the prescription to go through, I started Copaxone two days ago. This is my first MS medication since being dx at the end of June 2011.

Copaxone nurse came out and trained my hubby and me on the Autoject. She had me do the first injection on my right arm (I'm right handed) and told me to keep it on a 6. I'm going to be doing evening injections.

First injection, I was nervous but it went okay. I was expecting the stinging to occur as I was injecting but it doesn't do that. It occurs afterward within a few minutes. I tend to feel faint at the sight of blood and needles so had to sit in the recliner and elevate my feet. The site was sore for awhile and now has a bruise. I'm wondering if I held the autoject too tight to the site or if the setting should be different than a 6.

Second injection was in the right hip area. That one hurt like heck afterward, but this morning it was fine and I could barely see where I poked. Tonight it will be left hip.

So far, no other symptoms that I can see. I am still very, very nervous about this and dread injection time. Will need to call Shared Solutions regarding needle depth for different areas.

Third injection was last night in my right thigh. That one hurt the worst. I swelled up within a few minutes at the site about 2 inches in diameter. It looked almost like a burn and it hurt for a couple of hours. But, this morning it was gone.

Question for you all....I apply heat before the injection, but the nurse never said what to do afterward. What works the best for the burning and pain?

Comment

Alot of folks use heat before and cold after. Those dont work for me personally. Some also do their shot after a shower and they say it works well for them. I tried that too and again, nothing different. I dont do my arms or my legs. Too much pain and too many little nerves running thru my legs. I already hit one one time and it caused me to pass out. My neuro told me to use solarcane spray to help with the pain and burning I get. I will be getting that today

Comment

I started Copaxone in January. I'm on the learning curve as well. Figure out what works for you. I have a wonderful nurse at Shared Solutions who has helped me tremendously. However, they can only tell you what the FDA wants them to. It really is trial and error.

I don't do my thighs because the pain is just unbearable. I also learned from here to ICE before the shot and afterwards. The ice before has really helped the pain for me.

I too hate the sight of blood, needles, etc., but the autoject is so easy to use that it doesn't really bother me. I have started letting my husband do manual injections on my arms and hips because the reaction on my skin isn't as bad.

There's something about the medicine touching your skin that can really cause a lot of irritation.

Read down on previous questions to find some good info on how others adapt to the shot. It calms your nerves and gives you great tips and encouragement.

Good luck and keep at it!

Comment

I guess I am the lucky one. Being overweight has it's advantage when it comes to Copaxone. Arm, hips, stomach and parts of my thighs are fine. No issues. Enough fatty areas to only have the sting and a slight lump afterwards. That lump goes away in an hour.

When it comes to the bruising I did have that issue. Upon calling Shared Solutions I learned that by applying pressure with a cotton ball immediately after your injection can prevent the bruising. I tried it and it worked.

It is a learning process. You will find trial and error will help.
          Jacque

dxd August 2011 at age of 65

Comment

Hi Woodstock, the injections do get easier with time and you will find your best way to cut down the site reactions with a bit of trial and error.

To answer your question, this is what works best for me.
            - baby bum wipes or just soap and water are just as effective as alcohol swabs and helps to cut down on the sting
            - if you can, pinch the fat at injection site (not a little, painful pinch but a good hearty one). Inject into pinched fat.
            -immediately after, push down directly on the site for approx 30 seconds. Do not rub. Sounds painful but it's not and helps cut down on the welts.
            - ice
            - apply Benadryl or any anti itch cream to the site.

I have been taking Copax since 2007 with very positive results. I really hope that it works well for you too! Please keep us posted on your progress.

Jen
            RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
            "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Working...
            X