Take Amantadine Only On Bad Days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take Amantadine Only On Bad Days?

Do you have to take amantadine every day for it to work? Or can I pop a pill on days when I am REALLY lethargic? I am MS Unmedicated (steroids didn't work, no remission yet, can't start meds, Doc thinks it might be PPMS). I am NOT INTO MEDS, but I have an infant to care for and am RIDICULOUSLY TIRED. Want to take amantadine only on days where I am too tired even to move. Has anyone tried this? Really don't want to take 2 everyday. Thanks in advance!

I took Amantadine for a year or two and while I mainly used it every day, I am forgetful, if it was too late in the day and I hadn't taken the second one, I'd skip it. I never took it while on any steroid treatment either.

I don't recall if it is supposed to build up in your system, that wasn't the case for me. It's effect was subtle, not a great boost of energy, just less fatigue.

Comment

My Rx for Amantadine reads "As needed".
      It really depends on what your Dr. says and how hard your fatigue is hitting you. When my fatigue was worse I was taking two a day, right now its pretty low and I usually don't take any unless I have plans for a long day.

Comment

BTW, keep in mind that Amatadine feels really subtle. We're not talking about other meds that wind you out or have dependancy issues.
        Amantadine is an anti-bacterial med that has a desired side effect for MS patients. You can take it every day if you want to or skip days. Its also fairly cheap when compared to other Rx meds so cost shouldn't be a big issue.
        I cut back my dose when my fatigue eased up. This was based mainly on two reasons:

Even though I'm in Iowa, I'm still a frugal New Englander at heart.

I have an issue with Amanatine where it works fine but it also binds me up. Some people have this happen, some don't.

So at the end of the day, its fairly cheap, benign in terms of dependancy, it doesn't harm you, and it even works.

Comment

Amantadine is an Anti-Viral Medication, not Anti-Bacterial. Its effect is fairly slight, but it can work. Took it for a few years, now on Provigil, it works much better.
          Bill
          Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Working...
          X