Cellulitis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cellulitis?

Has any body ever gotten Cellulitis from an injection of Rebif?

Last Wed, I gave myself my Rebifw/autoinject, on Thurs I wokeup w/ a huge red spot,blisters,& so sore it hurt to breath in. My DD took me to my PCP & she took one look at it & sent me to the hospital. I was in the ER for 9hrs.while they did so many tests I lost count. The DX.was Cellulitis,I was put on IV antibiotics & pain meds.

At last I was sent homew/a script of Clindamycin HCL 300mg.every 6hrs. I called my neuro to tell him,he called me back SO FAST! I'm to go off Rebif compleatly,when meds end I'm to go back to hospital & have several special bloodtests done as he wants the results ASAP. depending on results I may need another round of antibiotics.

While home,in my electric recliner, I'm not allowed to move,shower,get any water or heat near injection site.I have to drink extra water. They are in such fear the bacteria will spread,no walking except to bathroom.I am so scared,I've never had this in 12yrs on Rebif,the ER dr. & my neuro said if it gets in my bloodstream I'll die.

What I want to know has anyone here ever had this,or even heard of this? I'm sorry I'm in such a panic,I've just never been this scared.

Thankyou, God Bless Nona Judy

**Line spacing added by Moderator for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print.**

I never have had cellulitis, Judy, but it is serious and I'm glad you got to the doc STAT! Just follow their directions and you should be okay. I'm so sorry you have to be dealing with this!

Don't worry about missing your shots. Treating this is definitely more important. Feel better!!!
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

I had cellulitis in my lower leg about 20 years ago, presumably from some kind of bug bite getting infected. It just takes a little bit of the wrong bacteria being present when your skin gets punctured, and I doubt very much that the Rebif itself caused your case (the bacteria could have been on your skin or the needle).

It was definitely serious, but after the dx & rx it was mostly just tediously boring keeping the leg raised & doing nothing. I think it was all over in a little over 2 weeks.

Given that you want your immune system at full strength for dealing with the cellulitis, you can understand why taking the break from Rebif is important...
      1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Judy,

Try not to let your doctor give you a panic attack. Yes, cellulitis is serious, and has to be treated immediately and aggressively, BUT it's not quite as deadly as he made it sound. Depending on the particular strain that has infected a person, and how far advanced the infection has become, cellulitis and/or sepsis can mean several months of antibiotics. Occasionally, the offending infection has to be drained.

I have had two family members who had cellulitis. My first husband had cellulitis in his leg that leaked into his bloodstream. He was ill with a high fever and was admitted to hospital at 8 am and started on several IV antibiotics (his cellulitis extended all the way up his leg into his abdomen). By noon he was on a respirator with adult respiratory distress syndrome caused by septicemia. He recovered, but was on IV antibiotics for several months. In his case, emergency surgery was required to remove a large walled-off infection that was leaking very near the juncture of the femoral and popiliteal arteries. That was the reason he got so sick so fast. He also had an extremely resistant strain. He passed away from an unrelated cancer years later.

My current DH had a cardiac bypass which used venous grafts from his leg. The wound in his leg developed cellulitis. Once again the leg went from merely warm and pinkish, to red streaks all the way up his leg in a matter of a few hours. His leg felt like a hot stove. Off to the hospital we went. Luckily, they got antibiotics on board quickly and he recovered without much trouble. He was on home IV antibiotics for only two weeks, then on pills for another month.

I don't say this to further scare you, just to show you that although it's a very serious illness and deserves to be taken very seriously, sepsis is not an automatic death sentence as your doctor implied. Many people do recover from it. The key thing is to pay attention, and call your doctor or get to the hospital ASAP if you start feeling poorly or running a fever above 101.

I recommend taking a washable marker and draw a ring around the red area. Next to the line, write the time! Or record the time on paper and keep that with you at all times. (Don't worry, even if it stains the skin, it will fade quicker than you think, and can usually be helped along with alcohol wipes.) Check the area every few hours and watch for signs that the red is starting to creep beyond the outline you made. IF that happens (it proably won't), draw another ring, note the time, and CALL YOUR DOCTOR. Explain how you've been tracking it (this is how they often track cellulitis in hospitalized patients).

Depending on how long you've been on the antibiotic, your doctor may want you to keep checking regularly and keep him updated. Since you've been on the antibiotic for 48 hours, though, spreading of the red could signal that you need IV antibiotics. Also, as I said before, check your temperature several times a day. If you suddenly get a fever, call your doctor or the ER you went to previously, and get seen immediately.

Comment

My DH, who doesn't have MS but is diabetic, had this in left lower leg in 2010. It went from a red, hot to touch, patch of skin on his calf to his entire leg looking like Elephant Man disease. He was put on an IV pump that he carried/wore 24 hrs per day. It eventually cleared up but it took 2 months and plenty of IV antibiotics.

We were told it's an infection of the skin cells. Please adhere strictly to your doc's orders and if it gets worse seek immediate attention.

Having MS and any kind of immune system that's compromised plus cellulitis should be watched carefully.

I hope things start improving soon for you.
          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Long ago I had cellulitis, not sure what it was from, very painful. The doc did take a marker and circled the area, told me if it went past the marker to go to the ER immediately. I was on oral antibiotics only, luckily it didn't spread and I was fine. Scary!

I also had some sort of blood infection (a different time), was on antibiotics for 6 months.

All good advice above, I'm hoping for a quick recovery for you!

Comment

Thankyou all for your replies, They were a blessing & very helpful. I'm sorry I got so upset,it just scared me so much.
              It is looking better,but not any where near 100 persent.I go back tp Dr. on Thurs. I also have a friend comming up from Fl. who is a nurse,I feel bad for her as this trip has been planned for Mo.'s. But as we've been friends for over 30yrs. she understands & is just happy to sit & drink coffee on my porch,gossip,watch the birds & "kick back".
              Again Thankyou,i'll keep you posted, God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

Well, they're right, it could get in your blood stream, but they're wrong in saying you'll die from it. I've had sepsis twice since having MS....I didn't die. I did have to take antibiotics (IV) for awhile.

Both times I had sepsis it wasn't from cellulitis but from a urinary tract infection. I did get MRSA cellulitis after a surgery, but that stayed confined to the skin...more long term antibiotics though.

If you do need antibiotics they can set you up for long term IV antibiotics at home. You'll have a home health care nurse, and they put in a pic line and teach you how to give yourself the antibiotics. I did vancomycin for about 6 weeks...but let's pray it doesn't come to that.

Now as far as being scared. Of course, you're scared...it's a scary situation to be in. So don't go beating yourself up for being afraid. In fact, here's a link to wheelchairkamikaze's blog this week on fear...he expresses so eloquently what is the truth about dealing with MS and the fear it can evoke.

http://www.wheelchairkamikaze.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky10
                  Owlnona, please do as your doctors say! Cellulitis is treatable but caution must be used to prevent spread and progression.

This is from medicinenet.com: "Cellulitis is a treatable condition, but antibiotic treatment is necessary to eradicate the infection and avoid spread of the infection. Most cellulitis can be effectively treated with oral antibiotics at home. Sometimes hospitalization and intravenous antibiotics are required if oral antibiotics are not effective. If not properly treated, cellulitis can occasionally spread to the bloodstream and cause a serious bacterial infection of the bloodstream that spreads throughout the body (sepsis)."

Regarding sepsis (which owlnona does not have!), this is also from medicinenet.com: "In almost every case of sepsis, patients need to be hospitalized, treated with appropriate intravenous antibiotics, and given therapy to support any organ dysfunction. Sepsis can quickly cause organ damage and death; therapy should not be delayed as statistics suggest as high as a 7% mortality increase per hour if antibiotics are delayed in severe sepsis. Most cases of sepsis are treated in an intensive care unit (ICU) of the hospital."
                  Sparky,

Good info. I was treated for cellulitis with home IV antibiotics. After a few treatments in the hospital they let me come home and use those baby bottle contraptions of vancomycin...for sepsis I was hospitalized.

On a positive note to owlnona my dad had cellulitis about 6 months ago, and they were able to clear his up with oral meds...so here's hoping rest, Clindamycin, and obeying doctor's orders will be all it takes to clear it up.

Comment

Owinona, I'm down with cellulitis now too. I have secondary progressive MS so haven't been on meds in years. I went to the ER last Thursday with a swollen, red, and hot lower leg and foot. After ruling out a blood clot, they gave me IV antibiotics and sent me home with Augmentin and Bactrim. Went internist yesterday because of severe diarrhea. She took me off Augmentin and put me on a very bland diet. Also gave me Align, a probiotic.

My digestive system is starting to get a little better. The redness has gone down to a dusty pink. The top of my foot is still pretty swollen. All I'm doing is sitting in my recliner with my feet up or going to the bathroom. Thank God for my DH who helps me with everything. I'm in a power chair full time and am praying that I won't have to be admitted to the hospital. It's at least manageable at home.

Good luck - here's hoping we both get through this as soon as possible!

Becky
                    ~ Becky

Comment

Originally posted by owlnona View Post
                      Thankyou all for your replies, They were a blessing & very helpful. I'm sorry I got so upset,it just scared me so much.
                      It is looking better,but not any where near 100 persent.I go back tp Dr. on Thurs. I also have a friend comming up from Fl. who is a nurse,I feel bad for her as this trip has been planned for Mo.'s. But as we've been friends for over 30yrs. she understands & is just happy to sit & drink coffee on my porch,gossip,watch the birds & "kick back".
                      Again Thankyou,i'll keep you posted, God Bless Nona Judy
                      Hey Judy,

How's it going? You said you were seeing the doc today.

Just checking up on you.

Comment

Hey Judy,

I wanted to bump this to the top of the page...to see how you're doing? Hope all is well and cellulitis has cleared.

Comment

Cellulites, I had it, at the first of the year. Ended up in the hospital and nursing home for a month and a half. It sunk up on me and I had to call an ambulance. Almost died from it. I was on IV antibiotics for a month. It is nothing to fool with. Do as your Dr's say.

The infectious disease Dr told me to make sure you wash your injection site with soap and water before you inject,then do the alcohol swab and let it dry. Keep everything very clean. I wash my auto inject before every use. I wear gloves, too.

Blessings and healing, (((())))

Comment

Working...
                          X