No announcement yet.

Do You Exercise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't suppose just getting through the day, and doing enough cleaning so that the house that is not in danger of appearing on an episode of Hoarders, counts as exercise.

It should, because it leaves me knackered.

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
      I don't suppose just getting through the day, and doing enough cleaning so that the house that is not in danger of appearing on an episode of Hoarders, counts as exercise.

It should, because it leaves me knackered.
      That's my logic. I do alot of walking at work.

Tom
      "Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
      - Voltaire

Comment

Cleaning totally counts as exercise - so does grocery shopping in my book !

Comment

Yes, I go to the Y at least 3x a week (at least try to). I joined the Y about 4 years ago. I either walk a mile, ride the stationary bike for 20-30 minutes or use the weight machine.
          Even with what little and low impact that I do I have lost about 41 lbs. (I was about 202 when i started, 158 now. My final goal is 135ish) I'm the lightest I've been since '94 when I had my daughter. All the depression & bipolar drugs along with a sedentary lifestyle helped pack on & keep the pounds all those years. After I starting just walking my depression improved so much, when I saw the lbs start dropping my self esteem skyrocketed & I started watching what I was eating. I swear by exercise, it has improved my life by 1000%! No only has exercise helped with the depression, but I don't have as much pain as I used to. I don't have to take many pain meds now. Stretchinh has also helped a lot with the pain.

DH even bought a cheap recumbent bike for us to use at home.

Comment

Daelite,

good for you. I do similar. I'm at the Ymca 4-5 times per week. I find it gives me *more* energy. I was feeling very fatigued at the end of the day and had to drag myself to the gym. I was only going to to the recumbant bicycle (you can sit), but went on to do other machines as well. I was so amped up, that I went to bed late.

I'm not sure the concept of energy conservation applies to exercise.

Note to anyone starting: You must start very very very slowly and build up. You will be tired the first 17 times.

Comment

Originally posted by cosake View Post
              Cleaning totally counts as exercise - so does grocery shopping in my book !
              Alas while it counts for calories burned and energy used, research suggests it can't really be swapped for exercise. If you are going to build endurance and ultimately "get more spoons" you'll need to gradually do more. In that sense, if you cleaned more and grocery shopped more, that technically would count. I actually blogged about bending the spoon theory just recently at ActiveMSers....

"I know, [exercise] sounds counterintuitive. Exercise is hard. Exercise makes you tired. Exercise costs you precious spoons. You certainly can’t afford to waste any of them on an endeavor that on the surface accomplishes little more than making you stinky, musses your hair, and makes it feel as if a pickup packed with portly pachyderms has presciently pancaked you."

But like BigA says, it works. You just have to start out slowly (in some cases very slowly) and stick with it.

Dave, ActiveMSers.org

Comment

My real problem is staying motivated to exercise. I do much better if I have to attend a class than if I try to do it on my own, but haven't found a class around here yet that "fits" me.

Our local NMSS chapter is going to try to get some sort of exercise class going at a local facility that will be geared toward MSers / handicapable people. The facility is 5 mins from home so I'm hoping they can work something out.

I really do need to exercise - I know that.

Comment

I feel less fatigue, less depression and my muscles all feel more normal after I exercise 2 days in a row. I try to exercise every day and end up with 4-5x weekly.

Do what you can. It takes a while to become a habit. Don't try too much to start. Just be regular. Good Luck!

Comment

I, personally, just started a diet and am doing that in conjunction with P90X. Not for everyone, to be sure, but it is most definitely working for me.

Comment

Thanks, Dave, from ActiveMSers for your posts.

I consider exercise to be the most important way I am treating my MS and I fervently believe it can change the course of my disease. It's nice to see the evidence. My neurologist has always said, "do as much as you can stand to do." I am a runner (was for nearly 20 years before MS), and have a long yoga practice -- in fact since getting MS, I have become a yoga teacher. I have limitations now for sure (gait, balance, energy, running pace), but I just soldier on and do what I can on any given day. In the beginning I was crying in despair every time I went out to run. But eventually I got tired of crying and kept running.

I love running and yoga so much that the energy trade-off is one that still makes sense to me. The more I do, the more I can do; it has always been this way. I know I'm blessed and that it will not always be this way. Which is why on any given day, I think: one day I will not be able to do this. Today is not that day!

Comment

What a wonderful

attitude you have!

Comment

Special Kay brings up an important point: attitude. A recently published study looked at what was the best intervention for improving quality of life in MSers (self reported). The smallest effect was observed for self-management and complementary and alternative medicine (CAM). Then came medication, then came cognitive training and exercise. But the leader? Psychological interventions to improve mood. Getting your brain in order, having the right attitude, made the biggest difference. That makes sense. It's hard to enjoy life when your brain won't let you.

Dave Bexfield, ActiveMSers.org

Comment

Working...
                          X