Clear All

i m going to start soon.

5 to it will be jump lifting some kettle bells. 3-5 to start
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
      FWIW, I have been instructed by my Physical Therapist to work out hard, but to stop before I feel any pain. And he's quite a jock!
      It great you are working with a PT and I would imagine post-cva activity might be a bit different. I definitely wouldn't suggest anyone push themselves to strain or fatigue.

Maybe its just me but I have to really push myself to get the full benefit from exercise.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

My sis is a PT and got me walking again a few fierce relapses. Working out with her regularly has made a world of difference (and doing all the follow-up exercises and stretches she has recommended). As for pain, exercise might be tiring, but it shouldn't be painful. If it is, stop. Although with my ESP abilities on the fritz, stopping before I feel pain is tricky. But I know what Sequoia means.

-Dave

Comment

I have started swimming again. I hope to get back my strength!

Sara

Comment

I recently joined a gym here by me and started seeing a Personal trainer twice a week. I'm overweight and out of shape in general, but I also know that working out will help me in the long run with the MS.

I've been very lucky thus far to have lighter symptoms and figure while i still can I'm going to do what I can! I've also made it quite clear to my personal trainer that while I'm willing to push myself to get in shape - I'm not willing to push myself into a relapse. He's totally responsive to how I'm feeling which is great. Since I've been doing this 2-3 weeks I already feel really good.

My mom is always telling me that other people she works with or knows that have MS swear by working out in anyway possible - whatever you can do.

Comment

Kimmy,

good for you. There is so much evidence that not only does exercise help with depression, memory, stress and general wellbeing, but that it can be protective of nerves and alter the course of your disease.

There's no downside. My advice: Don't focus on the weight - it will come down mostly from eating.

Go slowly on the exercise so that you're building up a routine you can do forever and enjoy.

If you are person of a certain weight, be wary of the treadmill - not nice to pound you knees until you're lighter.

Good Luck

Comment

I've been trying the brain games at Lumosity, which was recommended by a member of our group. So far I have been enjoying them and it has been fun to tax the gray matter (also important to do with this disease). They offer three days of free training before you have to decide whether or not to sign up....

Dave, ActiveMSers.org

Comment

My goal is to do something everyday! I'm shooting for
                  a variety of things to do, and what my body will let me do, on
                  any given day: more during remission/ less during relapse.

Start my day at 3am on the bike trainer. Great for bad weather
                  days. Then, it's weights, crunches, and some yoga: 3X/week.
                  Then walking....moving my milage back up with this beloved
                  remission! And last, I go to a Yoga For MS group 1X/week.
                  It's kind of a support group and yoga class wrapped together.

The idea is to work all parts of the body, the best that I can!
                  And to eat the best diet that I can! With no DX, no RX.....
                  soooo.... diet and exercise are all I've got, so that's where I'm
                  putting all my energy.
                  "I'm not limping!! I'm just favoring each leg differently!!"

Comment

Limbo-Lifer, doing something every day is so smart. But 3 am on the bike trainer? That's hard core! Do remember to take one day off a week physically to let your body recharge and repair. That can be a challenge when I'm in a groove.

-Dave

Comment

Oops...slight typo...should have read 4 AM.

A day off??
                      Now That's a tuffy! If there's a down side to being a "former"
                      distance runner, it's that of being a hard-wired; stubborn; dig
                      deep you idiot; keep going....keep going.....kind of person.
                      Guess I don't know where the off switch is.

On the up side, I know all the activity helps with balance....
                      helps the muscles "remember" what they're suppose to do.
                      I'm hoping it'll pay off in the long run. Perhaps, it's already
                      bought me some time??? Guess I'll never know....

I can hope, though!

Take care of you, Dave,

me

Comment

Ohhh, Limbo, only 4 a.m.—now that's more like it. You clearly are slacking, sleeping in these days.

a hard-wired; stubborn; dig deep you idiot; keep going....keep going.....kind of person
                        Now this I can totally relate to (not the 4 a.m. stuff). If you haven't been, you may want to swing over to ActiveMSers.org when you get the chance. You sound like a lot of our members: a little crazy, a lot determined.

-Dave

Comment

Okay, I signed up for the daily brain-game exercises at Lumosity. So far it's been fun to stretch the gray matter every morning. But a few tips. If you do the free 3-day trial, do not sign up right away. They'll keep sending you offers. I caved at a 25% discount about a week after the trial ended. Also when you pay, you'll get offer to pay for friends at 50% off. Prepare early and go in with a buddy or two (or get a big group) and the savings is substantial.

And if you feel so inclined, you can even do these brain exercises at 4 a.m.....

-Dave

Comment

There is a new video series on YouTube entitled Exercise and Multiple Sclerosis. There are three parts, and the one idea I thought interesting was his definition of exercise, basically think small! I'm going to try sitting on an exercise ball when I'm on the computer to improve my core. Everything counts!

Comment

Soooo, Dave, are these the kind of brain exercises one could do
                              whilst perched atop a trainer? Do they exercise right brain
                              or left??? How 'bout gray matter, or white???

Perhaps it's one of those things one should try to alternate on.
                              Grey matter and left side brain: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday;
                              then white matter and right side brain Tuesday, Thursday, and
                              Saturday. That would allow Sunday off for some mind
                              numbingly boring activity, like watching other people
                              exercise OOPS, excuse me, I mean play sports!

Might just have to start up a half hour earlier...3:30AM...to allow
                              time to warm up, and stretch out my brain. Can't head
                              off full tilt, right off the bat, for risk of a brain strain!

Take care of you!

me

Comment

I had foot surgery this year and have spend several months learning to walk without a limp. What I do for exercise is go to yoga twice a week.I also ride my bike on the levee or if the weather is yucky I ride at the gym. I also walk several times a week-generally 3 miles at a time. I use the machines at the gym and also the elliptical sometimes. I have recently started swimming which is fantastic and I love how it makes me feel. I have one of those big exercise balls that I use at home. Sometimes I sit on it to watch tv-its great for working on your balance. I also love to snow ski but that is not something that is readily available to me in the South!

lydialou

Comment

Working...
                                X