No announcement yet.

Do You Exercise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanted to mention that I'm feeling extra bad and fatigued recently - but I am still continuing with my exercises. I'm careful to not overdo it, but othewise I still want the benefits.

Comment

I dance. I love to dance so I can dance for a while. Although I get overheated at times and have to hurry and take a cool shower.

I have medication for the pain and fatigue, so I make it a point to do what I can either when I have taken the meds. On days I just do not want to take my meds I wait until I am not in pain or am not excessively fatigued to dance.

I also have kids so that keeps me moving a lot. M.S'ers that can sleep do. I wish I could. I have insomnia and fatigue so I have to work around that. No naps for me. Naps help and you are suppose to take them, a few of them. Do not feel bad about that, but you do want to find a way to move even if it is just a walk.

Medications can also cause weight gain. Look at the side effects. I was gaining weight because of the water retention side effect many M.S. meds have. I stopped taking the main one causing it and once the water was released, I lost the weight.

Comment

I go to a stroller exercise class with my daughter 3 times a week (there are however times when i am so lethargic that i cannot even get myself out of bed) I was recently DX'd so i have no clue if this will progress with time :/

Comment

A just released Canadian meta study looked at 39 previous studies concerning the health-related quality of life in people with MS. Their findings? "Six major types of interventions were identified through the search. The smallest effect was observed for self-management and complementary and alternative medicine (ES=0.2), followed by medication (ES=0.3) then cognitive training and exercise (ES=0.4), and psychological interventions to improve mood (ES=0.7)."

It's interesting that CAM and regular meds played a lower role in quality of life than exercise. But it appears getting your head in order is essential to QoL, which makes sense. It's hard to enjoy life when your brain won't let you.

The full abstract can be found here: activemsers.wssnoc.net/showthread.php?t=934

- Dave, ActiveMSers.org

Comment

Hi everyone,
            I am curious as to how people exercise...I have heard of people doing non-water exercises and wondering how you handle it as it causes most to sweat I have a cooling vest but as crazy as it sounds it makes me hot.
            Thank You and have a Happy Memorial Day
            Alison

Comment

Originally posted by Alisonmarie1 View Post
              Hi everyone,
              I am curious as to how people exercise...I have heard of people doing non-water exercises and wondering how you handle it as it causes most to sweat I have a cooling vest but as crazy as it sounds it makes me hot.
              Alison
              I use an Elliptical, hand weights, resistance bands, taking walks and exercises learned from a Physical Therapist. In the past I had used a treadmill. I have a freestanding fan that is used as well as central air-conditiong for the summer.

I don't mind sweating and expect to sweat...it's exercise and exercise causes people to sweat. What has been most helpful through the years is taking a cool shower after my workout.
              Diagnosed 1984
              “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I use hand weights, exercise pulleys, resistance bands, and exercises given to me by my PT. I can't walk very far at all, but I "do laps" around my house with a Rollator several times a day. And I use an ancient Schwinn exercycle which my husband helps me onto and off of.

We have central air conditioning and a dehumidifier, which help keep the house bearable when I exercise in the summer.

Comment

Thank You for replying I did not know if it was ok to sweat but I guess as long as I take a cool shower right after I will be ok. Thank You for sharing your experience

Comment

I do, I swim and horseback ride
                    Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
                    UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

It all depends on how heat sensitive you are. As a precaution, I always had a wet towel a fan and drank lots of water. I found I didn't really need the fan, but keep the wet towel and water as a habit and because it's nice.

Try different things, but as always, with caution.

Comment

Yes, do only as much are you are able/comfortable with!

Sometimes I will just sit on my horse and we walk around the forest, under the canopy for an hour or two. Keeps us cool but still moving
                        Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
                        UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

Thankfully I am able to work out between 3-5 days a week. Usually I do 2-3 spin classes and 1-2 short runs of about 2 miles each week.

I'll keep doing it for as long as I am able, knockwood. Like others said if I don't exercise I feel depressed and also if I work out I can actually eat, lol.
                          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                          Anonymous

Comment

Life got in the way...

I am so glad I found this thread. I needed a reminder of how helpful excersizing can be.....
                            When I first was diagnosed I didn't have any of the fatigue issues. Worked out 4-5x's a week, Had my son and still was able to keep it up. Moved out of state, still held it together. Then moved back and it hasn't been the same since. New house, full time job, active 8yr old, husband at work more then home(truck driver) and 2 dogs have been my excuse for about a year and I'm feeling it.

New start...I'm so done with that. I have a treadmill and recombant bike right in my house. NO excuses anymore. Use it or Lose it!!
                            Thanks for letting me blather.
                            Live, Love, Laugh

Lisa

Comment

Great news, Lisa! Keep us posted and since you are familiar with working out you know that it just takes a while for your body to remember the pain and move past it to the point where it feels good.
                              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                              Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                                Great news, Lisa! Keep us posted and since you are familiar with working out you know that it just takes a while for your body to remember the pain and move past it to the point where it feels good.
                                FWIW, I have been instructed by my Physical Therapist to work out hard, but to stop before I feel any pain. And he's quite a jock!

Comment

Working...
                                X