Do You Exercise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do You Exercise?

Or maybe I should ask are you able to exercise? Due to my overwhelming fatigue and pain, I sleep alot and do not exercise. Although IU really don't eat that much, I've put on a substantial amount of weight. I think my metabolism ahs slowed down alot. Does anyone exerise? If so, what type of exercise do you do?

exercise

Yes, I walk every day with my dog. Some days it's just a couple of blocks when my legs are not working all that great or the fatigue is bad. On good days, we walk for about an hour. Yes, I have to push myself to do it, but know the benefits for my overall health.

Comment

I too have put on substantial weight and don't eat very much. It is depressing since I was so active. I started taking Ampyra and it has helped my walking. I can use the treadmill for about 12 min. No weight loss yet but I'm hoping. There are also videos for chair exercises from Sit and Be Fit. But depending on where your weaknesses are these can be hard.

Comment

I do exercise, but I think it's up to each individual and what you're able to do with how your MonSter impacts you. I've heard from a number of folks that the more active you stay the better, so I subscribe to that theory and do as much as I can (and sometimes admittedly overdo).

When I was first dx last year, I joined a gym and started doing as much as I could of the 30-60 minute long workouts. Life got busy and I haven't been back in a few months, but I really need to go. I felt so much better. And, I never felt badly about only making it through part of the routines, nor did they make you feel bad about stopping when you needed to.

Comment

yes i do

I work out 2-4 times a week depending on schedule and how tired i am.. But when i do work out i have more energy and sleep so much better.. I hired a trainer and she designed a program just for me.. I do a bunch with my legs from walking, riding my bike, squats, and then lots with my core and arms..

good luck.. hope you can find something that works for you..

Comment

Originally posted by its2much View Post
            Or maybe I should ask are you able to exercise? Due to my overwhelming fatigue and pain, I sleep alot and do not exercise. Although IU really don't eat that much, I've put on a substantial amount of weight. I think my metabolism ahs slowed down alot. Does anyone exerise? If so, what type of exercise do you do?
            there is a DVD (available here in Toronto) called - It's Your Choice Exercises for fitness and well-being for individuals with Multiple Sclerosis.

my fiance is being referred to this rehad clinic so we will order the DVD to help at home.

(FYI - i have no association with the rehad clinic and i do not know if they will ship outside of Canada)

Comment

I work out every day and it feels great! I was in very bad shape and my doctor tried every drug and it put me in such a fog and I felt worse off! I finally said enough is enough and stopped all meds that were not necessary for my MS (I take Tysabry and I take Topamax for migraines).

I now go to the gym 6 times a week for at least a hour and I have never felt better...EVER!!!! Some days I have to make myself go (When the weather is really humid) but I go and I feel not only good about myself but I physically feel good!

I was heading in a bad direction (Like wheelchair direction) at the age of 32. I have 2 small kids and I was not going to let my MS win so I started off slow and now I can kickin *** at the gym!
              I like to call it "Heidi Time" because no one bothers me there

I say start off slow, don't over do it or run off to the gym and sign up, now that the weather is nice start walking around the block or I know or park district you can walk for free indoors. So start off slow so you don't over do it and maybe talk to your doctor first!

Best of luck to you!

Comment

Originally posted by mommyHeidi View Post
                I work out every day and it feels great! I was in very bad shape and my doctor tried every drug and it put me in such a fog and I felt worse off! I finally said enough is enough and stopped all meds that were not necessary for my MS (I take Tysabry and I take Topamax for migraines).

I now go to the gym 6 times a week for at least a hour and I have never felt better...EVER!!!! Some days I have to make myself go (When the weather is really humid) but I go and I feel not only good about myself but I physically feel good!

I was heading in a bad direction (Like wheelchair direction) at the age of 32. I have 2 small kids and I was not going to let my MS win so I started off slow and now I can kickin *** at the gym!
                I like to call it "Heidi Time" because no one bothers me there

I say start off slow, don't over do it or run off to the gym and sign up, now that the weather is nice start walking around the block or I know or park district you can walk for free indoors. So start off slow so you don't over do it and maybe talk to your doctor first!

Best of luck to you!
                That's my exact experience. I'd like to add that when I don't exercise, the depression catches up with me.

If you can exercise (and likely, you can more than you think), you will build strength and endurance and you will have more energy.

There is some exercise available to almost all levels. It's worth it.

Comment

Yes I do, with MS Pt is life long. I do some stretching then I have ankle weights, I put them on and do leg lifts in my chair. Then I do my arms with the weights. I also have a dog, I call her my physical therapist with four legs and a tail. I walk her everyday. Good for me good for her. I lost 80lbs so far, I am working on another 80 or so. You start slow and do some kind of exercise everyday. You will feel better for it.
                  My next thing is I am trying to find a recumbent bike for the house. I can't ride outside anymore. Too hot in Florida.

My PCP told me excercise is the best why to help depression too.

Comment

I go to a water aerobics class 3 times a week. Every time I am supposed to go I can think of many reasons to forget it, but then I ignore myself. I feel so much better afterwards and glad I went. The instructor says you burn about 400-500 calories during her program.

I also have a stationary bike in my basement and I try to ride it for 15 min. during off days.

The water aerobics seems easy by comparison because the water removes the disease from my abilities. My balance is poor but I don't have to worry about falling.

Neither a gym nor a yoga studio is cool enough for me to be able to perform exercise.

Comment

I recently started exercising again. I'd pretty much quit prior to my DX last October. I signed up for my local Walk MS event and realized that meant I had to walk 6 miles! I knew I had work to do :-)

I'm not going nuts, just walking. I have a treadmill and access to about a 6 mile 'loop' along the East River, a block from my apartment. Saturday I did 3 miles in about 55 minutes. I figured out on Saturday that stretching after I walk helps a ton.

Between the walking and changes to my diet, I've lost 25 pounds and feel really good. So I'm now in the Fitter is Better camp

Kyle
                      At weddings, my Aunts would poke me in the ribs and cackle "You're next!". They stopped when I started doing the same to them at funerals. Dave Barry

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post

If you can exercise (and likely, you can more than you think), you will build strength and endurance and you will have more energy.

There is some exercise available to almost all levels. It's worth it.
                        Okay, I just have to say there are many folks on this board who know very well that they can't exercise in the traditional sense...no matter what they think. It's not mind over matter for them, it's a reality...they cannot exercise in a manner most folks would consider exercise.

As far as building endurance, that's not been my experience either, from the very beginning of my MS symptoms, I could do so much and no more before my muscles would fatigue. No matter the amount of PT or sticktoitness...the muscles would work for a certain amount of time, then quit. My husband's a gym addict and even early on, if I'd go to the gym with him, it was the same. No matter how many times I'd do an exercise or machine, so many reps, and my muscles would rebel and start to wildly tremor...quite the entertainment for anyone watching, LOL. Never was able to build stamina.

I thought getting a baclofen pump would increase my walking distance. Nope, it helped me to still stay mobile, it helped me walk with less pain and made my gait look more normal...but still couldn't walk any farther than I could before.

I was able to exercise in the past in short spurts, never walk very far, but had some great exercise equipment in my home that I could use. But now I can't seem to use it anymore...so my form of exercise has become doing what I can do to keep active.

Loading or unloading a dishwasher, sitting on the bed and folding laundry, cooking a meal, has become a form of exercise. Not exercise in the traditional sense, certainly not aerobic, but movement. And I'm blessed to be able to do that. There are others on this board who even activities like those are beyond them.

So exercise is what you make of it, main thing is to do what you can, when you can, and don't think because it's not "exercise" in the traditional sense, it's not helping you.

What's the saying "Motion is lotion" and any amount of motion we can coax out of these MS bodies is good.

Comment

That's me in a nutshell, rdmc.
                          I could no more walk around the block than climb Mt Everest. (Well that's an exaggeration. Sort of.) It's not about getting fit anymore, it's about keeping moving.

Comment

I do, to the best of my ability. I'm wheelchair-dependent after 33 years with MS (I was diagnosed when I was 22 y.o.), but was a dancer back in the day and am still pretty flexible. I work out from my wheelchair. . BTW, it's not easy!
                            “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
                            Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Originally posted by its2much View Post
                              Due to my overwhelming fatigue and pain, I sleep alot and do not exercise.
                              Hello its2much,

Have you talked to your neuro about the amount of sleeping you are doing? Is your neuro treating your pain?

Many medications used for the treatment of symptoms can cause sleepiness/more fatigue. There is also the possibility of a sleep disorder which might be causing more sleepiness. If a sleep disorder is involved you can gain weight even if your not eating very much.

If your sleepiness is due to medications or a sleep disorder exercise becomes almost impossible at that point You really need to have your excessive sleepiness checked out by your doctor.

Do I exercise? Yes. Many times exercise and Physical Therapy have helped with mobility, pain, range of motion (ROM) and fatigue.

For me, exercise is very important. From day one this disease has affected my mobility and exercise is my way of fighting to keep my mobility.

As rdmc has mentioned, not everyone is able to exercise in the traditional sense. The damage this disease can do is not a mind over matter issue.
                              Diagnosed 1984
                              “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
                              X