TRIGEMINAL NEURALGIA TREATMENT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TRIGEMINAL NEURALGIA TREATMENT

I HAVE TRIGEMINAL NEURALGIA (TN) ON BOTH SIDES OF MY FACE. I TAKE THE MAX DOSE OF CARBATROL, WHICH CONTROLS THE PAIN ON THE LEFT SIDE, BUT THE RIGHT SIDE HAS BEEN BREAKING THROUGH. I HAVE BEEN TO JOHNS HOPKINS TWICE FOR CUTTING EDGE SURGERY: RADIO FREQUENCY RHIZOTOMY.

THE SURGERY GOES INTO THE AFFECTED NERVES AND INJECTS GLYCEROL (I THINK) FOLLOWED BY CAUTERIZATION. THE PATIENT IS KEPT IN TWILIGHT ANESTHESIA SO THE SURGEN CAN BE SURE SHE'S IN THE CORRECT LOCATION. IT HURTS LIKE HELL AND TOOK ME 2 MONTHS TO RECOVER. I HAVE BEEN DOING WELL FOR THE LAST 5 MONTHS, BUT THE TN IS BEGINNING TO RETURN. HAS ANYONE FOUND A GOOD TREATMENT FOR TN? HOW LONG DID IT LAST? WHERE?

My wife had TN, very, very painful for a couple of years. After pain clinics, etc,etc, she finally went to Mayo Clinic Hospital in Phoenix, Az. The surgeon was Dr. Zimmerman. He glued her nerves away from the spot. That was 4 yrs. ago. She been pain free since. We're very lucky and grateful, but, of course, everyone is different. It's nickname is accurate.
    Good luck.

Comment

I use Gabapentin, I use 300 mg morning, noon, night and bedtime 600 mg. It's been working ok. I have it on my right side.
      Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

For anyone interested in TN general and treatments, there is a comprehensive article in Neurology Now magazine or Neurologynow.com...FYI. pgs. 26-28.

Comment

Jay, that article was really good. Thank you for that. I just reduced my Gabapentin from 1500 mg a day to 1200 mg. I was sick of being stoned and out of it all day long. The TN is throbbin', but I'm fairly more alert!
          Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

I have TN as well.. I have had it for roughly 2 months.. I have been on a verly low dose of tegretol. I stated with 1200 mg per day and slowly reduced it to just 200 to 400.. I have been told it comes and goes and each time it returns its worse. So i guess I am in remission right now because it is very tolerable today.
            limbo land for 1 year and 4 months DX February 2012 Copaxon February 2012 for 6 months. No DMD's since.

Comment

what is it's nickname?

("It's nickname is accurate" jayjee)

Just curious. I don't know anything about treatments (sorry) but am just learning about the condition. I asked my dentist about a buzzing in my cheek, funny feeling in throat on same side, etc (this was after dental exam & x-rays ruled out a dental cause) & he mentioned this nerve.

Comment

Many of the docs and TN patients refer to it as the suicide disease. Awful name, but commonly referred to. Sorry...

Comment

The nickname is perfect.. I wanted to run into a brick wall with my car.. the pain was so bad.. I swear I did 90 all the way to the pharmacy
                  limbo land for 1 year and 4 months DX February 2012 Copaxon February 2012 for 6 months. No DMD's since.

Comment

Working...
                  X