Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can't get disability if I haven't worked 5 out of 10 last years??!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't get disability if I haven't worked 5 out of 10 last years??!

I was just reading and read that I cannot get social security benes if I havent worked 5 out of the last 10 years?! Is this true? I was in college getting my nursing degree and also I did work some but now I have MS and working is becoming very hard so what, I cannot get social security??????

Call the local SS office and ask them, they can look it up by SSAN, you may have to go in, but either way they will be able to tell you.
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

The ssn office should be able to tell you if you have credits. But yes, you have to have credits over the last 5 years. I do not since I worked at a college that didnt pay into SSN.

Comment

When I first checked into it, I didn't have enough credits, so I worked part time for as long as I could and then was able to get approved. Good luck to you.

Comment

Well, frankly, it's all BS lol I see people all the time on disability driving new cars, nails done, etc etc ... people who need it can't get it and those that get it don't need it

Comment

So what you are saying that since I have a new truck I don't deserve my disability?? Why not, I paid into it for 43 years, they determined my condition was bad enough to get, besides my wife still works and makes good money.

From what your saying I have to look like a bum to deserve it.

Comment

Saying those who need it can't get it, and those who don't do get it, is a pretty radical judgement, IMHO. It's exactly the stereotypical attitude that healthy people who know nothing about MS express. I'm surprised to see it expressed by someone with MS.

You can't always tell by looking if someone is handicapped 'enough' to get disability. Things such as impaired cognitive function, leg weakness and extreme fatigue are not actually visible, yet they exist.

SSD IS difficult to get, as it should be. But those who are on it, are generally there because they need to be, and because they met the requirements to be on it. Trust me, it's such a pittance that I don't know anyone (including my DH, who is disabled) who wouldn't RATHER work if they could. These days, if you don't have supplemental disability from work, it's VERY difficult to live on SSD.

Comment

I will gladly give my monthly check to anyone that wants it but they have to take my MS in exchange.

Comment

Working...
                X