Daughter diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daughter diagnosed

My daughter was recently diagnosed with MS and lives across the country. I am having such a hard time accepting this. she is 33. i try to sound strong, but i suffer from depression. My son thinks i am letting this take over my life. he's probably correct. i am trying therapy. any other ideas for me?

sorry about your daughter.

i think you are doing the right thing by coming here and asking questions. there are also MS Societies that can offer support.

best of luck.

Comment

thank you, Doug!

Comment

Cabin,

So sorry to hear about your daughter! I was just dx in September and my mom lives in Arizona and she suffers from depression as well. I know she has been very worried about me, especially in the beginning. I don't want to tell her what is going on sometimes because I don't want to worry her and she doesn't want to stress me out by telling me what is going on with her health!

It's important that loved ones and family understand what we are going through (or what we are not) and offer support, if needed.

By educating yourself, you are doing the right thing. The National MS Society has some booklets that explain symptoms, remember she might not have them all, ever.

And it is not a death sentence.

The most I would want from family is to occasionally ask me how I'm doing or if I had told them a symptom to ask how that was, and to listen.... I find that after a few months, no one asks, so I feel pretty alone.

I hope that helps and glad you found this site. Good luck!
        Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
        Ampyra 10mg 2xday
        Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

My daughter also lives across the country from me and has been recently diagnosed. I am trying to find support groups for parents. are you aware of any? there isn't anyone that can understand the depth of anguish you experience when your child has been diagnosed and she is in the anger stage of grief. This is a tremendous challenge in itself. trying hard to meet these challenges, but unequiped to do so and would love to find a support group

Comment

Put a call in to your local National MS Society office. The local one has a "caregivers" group. I know you may not think you qualify, but you are still part of her caregivers' group.

Comment

I have a 17 year-old daughter, and a 20 year old son, and I "acquired" MS when I was about 32. I'm now 54.

And if my daughter or son was diagnosed with MS, I would immediately have them start taking Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) along with the following:

Vitamin D3
              Calcium 2-AEP
              Magnesium
              Malic Acid
              Curcumin
              Lecithin
              Fish Oil
              Flax Oil

Follow a low-fat diet, no processed food, minimal sugar.

Below are some links on LDN besides what's listed on the Medications forum sticky - "Useful LDN Information" Also, check my profile for past posts.

There's no reason why she can't stop MS in it's tracks right now.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLDNresearchtrust

http://www.ldnaware.org/

http://www.ldnaware.org/ldn/112-usa-ldn-links.asp

Comment

Reply: Daughter diagnosed

Your daughter needs your support right now, so you need yourself to be strong and help her, otherwise you will face a dual problem phase too hard to handle.

Comment

Working...
                X