Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prescribed Copaxone, Don't think i can do it though.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prescribed Copaxone, Don't think i can do it though.....

Every time i even think about giving myself a daily injection i start to cry....i do not think i am strong enough to do it... I used to FAINT from shots, and the thought of pricking myself in places other than my arms scares the hell out of me.....

how did you get used to it? I was diagnosed YESTERDAY (3-2-12) He had also suggested the one that you only take once a week and also the one that is 3 times a week ( i have no clue what the names are)

I am just scared....and looking up youtube videos on it did not help my nerves much at all

I just don't know......

its really not that bad...

Hi bops mom,

I know you are new and scared, but please give it some time and just go through the emotions and get them out of the way.

Go to the shared solutions website and they have a video on the injection training, I watched it and started my injections a week before nurse came and trained me!

They send you an autoject so if you are afraid of sticking a needle in your own skin then use that.

The needles are thin and short and if you get an area with extra padding (fat), you hardly feel it. I think it would be like an insulin needle, but not sure.

I just started Copaxone on 1/20 and have had no site reactions, but you might get a bee sting feeling for a few minutes after you inject. There are other possible side effects, but I didn't get any so I won't talk about those.

The nurses are really good and will explain everthing.

Good luck and know that you are doing something proactive to prolong the progression of the disease!
    Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
    Ampyra 10mg 2xday
    Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

You poor thing! Diagnosis is bad enough, and injections are like insult to injury. Here's one thing I can promise you--the shots aren't as bad as you think they are. I mean yes, they are injections, and there is no way to make them fun short of your favorite movie star giving you a backrub afterwards, but truly, they are better than you think you are going to be.

I used to think I could never do it either, but here I am. I used to get sweaty and nearly vomit giving a blood sample, and the idea of shots was horrifying. Then I needed IVF for pregnancy, and it comes with a ton of both. Ultimately, I had to make the choice of what I wanted more, a family or no needles? By the end of the cycle it was easy peasy, and now with MS, I can totally do it, something I never thought was possible.

It's sort of the same thing here. Needles are sucky, yes, but it's them and slow the progression of disease, or no needles and no slowing the progression. It's a choice, and frankly it's a crappy choice to have to make, but you can do this. I promise. Even if it's hard and you need us to hold your hand every single day, you can do this. And it absolutely gets easier over time.

Plus, the Copaxone nurse comes to your house and sits with you and shows you how to do it and walks you through every step. You can call back any time for assistance, training, etc., and they are used to people being worried about injecting. It's very normal to be scared, especially right now in the hell that is the time after diagnosis. That gets easier too, bit by bit.

It's going to be OK. I know it doesn't feel like it now, but it's going to be OK.

Comment

Bops,

I am SO SORRY about your diagnosis!!
        You are in shock right now. It's OK, all of us have been there.
        It's not easy to learn about a diagnosis. If you are like me, getting sick is rare, never mind being diagnosed with MS!

I know this might not sound right, but getting another Dr.'s opinion is a good thing. It won't upset a good DR. It's a good thing to do.

When my own Family Dr told me to get one, I hesitated, but my DH insisted we do it. He had experience in hospitals, due to many teenage injuries.

I didn't even know what MS was back then.
        Learning happens in stages, so go easy on yourself and know that in time, you'll look back on this time with wisdom behind you.

As for shots, I used to consider myself the world's biggest wimp.
        Injectable meds for MS came about 3 years or so after my diagnosis, so although it was sad to know there wasn't a treatment for me, I had months to hear about the injectable meds.

It's a lot to wrap your head around, but can be done.
        If it helps, it's not easy for any of us and is a learning process.
        Like riding a bike, it's tough in the beginning, but in time, no big deal.

I take Copaxone, which used to scare me, but is no problem after 10+ years.
        I hope that gives you some hope. Oh, and again I am the world's biggest baby when it comes to needles.

Maybe your DR can prescribe some sort of anti-anxiety med to help you with what's going on. You wouldn't be alone if you did take something for anxiety. I have a friend who takes valium, I take Clonazepam. It helps with physical feelings as well as anxiety.

Knowledge is power with MS, so read all you can.
        Ask questions and know there is much to learn, and not all of it will apply to you.

I'm glad you are here, even though I am again, so sorry about your diagnosis.

Comment

Sorry your going thru this. We all have been where you are now. I was dx 20yrs ago but didnt take any dmd's until 2002. Started with betaseron (the every other day shot). Im a total phobic with needles. It terrified me! I used the autoject and that made it easier.

I have been on copaxone (the daily shot) for just a few weeks and do the shot manually. Its something to get use to really. I figure alittle discomfort once a day to keep the flares at bay is totally worth it.

It does get easier with time. And take your time to read up on these meds. Whatever med you do chose, they have nurses come to your home and show you how to do them, where to give them and really walk you thru the whole process. They also have 24 hour nurse hotlines to call for assistance. You'll never be alone in the process.

Stay strong, we are all here for you

Comment

Hi bops_mama,
            I'm sorry you've had so much to deal with all at once. That is a lot of *%@~&* hitting you, getting an MS diagnosis AND being told you should take shots when you hate shots.

First of all, you're not alone. I used to work in a blood bank and saw hulking men who looked like football players pass out the instant the needle went into their arm for a blood test.

One way to think of it might be to remember all the times you must have jabbed yourself accidentally with a pin or a needle. It's no different from that, except that this time you're in control of the situation.

Also, if you're going to be on Copaxone, you won't even see the needle going in if you use the autoject device.
            (You might eventually find the manual method easier though.)

I haven't been on Copaxone for a couple of years now but the support system, Shared Solutions, used to send out a nurse to show you how to do the first shot. The nurse will probably do the first shot for you, in fact, and wait around for a while to make sure you're OK.

The other possible injectable MS drugs are Avonex (once a week--an intramuscular shot with a longer needle), and Rebif (same as Avonex but it's a subcutaneous shot), and Betaseron (a subcutaneous shot several times a week).

Shared Solutions used to provide a lot of helpful booklets and even a video for you to keep. The video shows exactly how to give yourself the shot.

I suggest you call them and ask for these materials if you haven't already. 1-800-887-8100 (Shared Solutions).

They have lots of suggestions for making the shots easier. Don't hesitate to ask them for help--that's what they're there for.
            MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10.

Comment

Hi Bops Mama-

Everyone has been nice to you, I can be nice too, but I will just cut to the chase.

You can give yourself shots, and you will. Because this is important to help slow the progression of the disease.

Copaxone is a good drug to start with. It is a small needle. You won't even see it, because they have a contraption that injects it for you, and if your small, the needle only goes in about 1/8 to 1/4 ". And the needle DOES NOT HURT! You will feel it, but it doesn't hurt. There is a wicked stinging a few moments after the needle is out, but goes away.

I would get so nervous over shots, when someone was giving them to me...just about peed my pants every time. Now, I just want to grab that needle out of there hands and say, "let me do it." Because I personally am better at giving shots than they are.

So how long will it take, your big worry and anxiety will go away after the first shot, because they are going to send a really, really nice nurse out to help you with the first one. They are great and they are use to dealing with scared people. After a month, you will be a pro, ready to conquer everything. Eventually, you probably won't even use the contraption and just stick the needle in because you are so use to it.

I would tell you to stop worrying, but you are going to anyway. Just set up the first appointment and get it over with. It will be a big relief...I promise you.

Cheers--Katie

Comment

Hi,

Katie said it all.

Only want to add I was exactly like you when I was first diagnosed. Due to my fear (completely unwarranted as it is really not a big deal at all after a few shots, and I am the biggest wimp) and feeling well; I did not think that I needed to take the meds, I started much later when it became clear I needed to do something.

Twelve years later I started to get worse and became non-ambulatory.

Not trying to frighten you - but if the only reason you are not taking meds is a fear of needles - you will get over it VERY quickly and there is a much bigger fear that you might get worse if you wait to long.

Nothing is a guarantee - but taking a chance that the meds may help is better than the alternative for me in hindsight.

Comment

Bops, I'm really sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis. It's so overwhelming, especially at the start, but you have come to the right place. This forum is full of support and is such a great source of information. You can ask as many questions as you want, blow off frustration or just read others' experiences.

Most of us were right where you are now, overwhelmed, scared, confused, and some of us are at the just-diagnosed stage. You are not alone by any means.

You will get used to the shots, MS sometimes give you strength where you never thought you'd find it. I always say that the shots are better than the alternative!

Please keep us posted on your progress, I hope things get easier for you soon.

Jen
                  RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                  "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Thank you so much guys. I am nervous..... I guess it is better than the alternative of letting the disease get worse....I think a lot of it now is the anticipation....I got the autoject thing in the mail today.....Ill post after i get the medication....

if all of you can do it, I think i can....Thank you for your kind words, and advice.

Comment

Hi, I gave myself my very first auto-injection yesterday! I practiced training with my Shared Solutions Nurse several times and felt very comfortable and enthusiastic about it.

I hate needles and have skipped out on blood lab work for a decade.

I did it, and I can do it every day for the rest of my life, I really believe this. I even think I can manually inject, too.

I barely felt it. I followed the recommended procedure of heating the site, injecting, cooling the site. Today I can hardly tell where I 'shot' myself.
                      Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

Do it

I really have to agree with KatieDidNot.... yes, we are all sorry for your situation, but we are all in the same very big boat.... MS SUCKS.

While giving myself a shot EVERYDAY sucks... being sick for a whole day sucks even more.

Put on your big girl panties and suck it up!! You will get through this just like the rest of us.

In the beginning it was an issue... I could feel the spot where I gave the shot all day long. Now after 4 years, I barely think about it.

Maybe I am one of the lucky ones though.

Comment

It's not so bad once you get used to it. The important thing is prepareing the the injection site. Don't inject until you have put a hot compress on the site for at least 5 minutes. Shared Solutions used to tell you to put ice on it but now they say heat is better to disperse the medicatian. After you inject put the hot compress back on for about 30 min. This will greatly diminish injection site reactions. Also call shared solution and ask for a free auto injector.You don't need it but it may make it easier. I have been using Copaxone for 12 years,it's good medicine.

Comment

You will be fine. I have been on Avonex, Rebif, Tysabri, and Copaxone. Copaxone was much easier to give to myself than Avonex or Rebif. The needle with Avonex is huge! Sticking that in now would scare the beejeebies out of me. I'd have to make my DH do it.

Copaxone is a breeze. I don't do anything before or after. It stings about 30 seconds after giving the shot, for about 2 minutes. I generally get my shot, then go and sit in the hot tub. I guess that would be like a hot compress. The hot tub is just my reward for going through the shot.

the most important thing to remember is to rotate injection sites. I do right side first, then left, starting right leg, left leg, right arm, left arm, right side of my belly, left side of my belly, right hip, left hip, then start over! I'll do inside of my legs one week, outside of my legs another. Arms I'll do the upper part, then the lower part, lots of placces in my tummy and hips.

You'll get it figured out, and wonder why you ever worried!
                            Brenda
                            Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

I think most of us have been where you are at but have learned how to cope. For me it was just the image of having to have shots everyday and not the shots themselves. I have never tried without the auto inject and have been on copaxone 9 months. My husband usually gives the shots, but I have learned I can also give them, too!

Hang in there! I just try to tell myself I am just so glad to have something that may slow the progression down even if it is an injection. You can do it!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X